Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope these GWS supporters don't get so upset when Coniglio ends up at Hawthorn.

Theres no substance to him going to Hawthorn. They are interested, he is indifferent. Manager is just trying to get best value for his big ticket contract.

Make sure you don’t delete this.

When I read Hawthorn supporters in this thread, i remind myself about Shiel.

Theres no substance to him going to Hawthorn. They are interested, he is indifferent. Manager is just trying to get best value for his big ticket contract.

So I assume that you think that the only thing that went on behind closed doors in the trade period was that Shiel didn't originally choose us? Well if you speak to many Hawthorn BF posters you'll find that it was more than just him not choosing us and more to do with what we weren't prepared to bow down to GWS's demands on a trade combined with the amount of $$$ + years that Shiel wanted. Why do you think the deal took so long to eventuate? What because he was considering Carlton and a nice jet ride? Shiel is a good player and as far as I know most Hawks fans like myself wanted him but not on the terms that GWS were seeking. His output on the field is not game changing and I'd much rather have someone like Wingard who can play multiple positions and win a game off his own boot which Shiel cannot. There's a reason why GWS were willing to let Shiel go and that's simply because he's just not as good as Cogs and if they were to keep him then there was little to no chance of keeping Cogs. The Hawks have been into Cogs for a very long time like I'm sure others are too but most feel that he's always been our main GWS target with Shiel being a secondary target for the right price. The talk all along was the the Hawks had 2 big fish in their sights and the bounty that GWS were asking threw that off coarse. Anyways we shall see how all this pans out but as I said above I am absolutely ecstatic with our addition of Wingard and also the so called risk we took with Scully who by the end of the season I feel might end up being the recruit of the year with Kane Kornes (Abasi) calling on the AFL to make an inquisition into what we gave up for him (future fourth round pick).

So I assume that you think that the only thing that went on behind closed doors in the trade period was that Shiel didn't originally choose us? Well if you speak to many Hawthorn BF posters you'll find that it was more than just him not choosing us and more to do with what we weren't prepared to bow down to GWS's demands on a trade combined with the amount of $$$ + years that Shiel wanted. Why do you think the deal took so long to eventuate? What because he was considering Carlton and a nice jet ride? Shiel is a good player and as far as I know most Hawks fans like myself wanted him but not on the terms that GWS were seeking. His output on the field is not game changing and I'd much rather have someone like Wingard who can play multiple positions and win a game off his own boot which Shiel cannot. There's a reason why GWS were willing to let Shiel go and that's simply because he's just not as good as Cogs and if they were to keep him then there was little to no chance of keeping Cogs. The Hawks have been into Cogs for a very long time like I'm sure others are too but most feel that he's always been our main GWS target with Shiel being a secondary target for the right price. The talk all along was the the Hawks had 2 big fish in their sights and the bounty that GWS were asking threw that off coarse. Anyways we shall see how all this pans out but as I said above I am absolutely ecstatic with our addition of Wingard and also the so called risk we took with Scully who by the end of the season I feel might end up being the recruit of the year with Kane Kornes (Abasi) calling on the AFL to make an inquisition into what we gave up for him (future fourth round pick).

Lol...

And lynch and Fyfe and Sloane and gaff etc etc
Hawfies supporters need to get over the fact that it’s no longer 2014 and their so called “destination club” status is now just a fallacy

Did someone really use Jarman Impey joining Hawthorn as proof they’re a destination club?

Gold.

I guess I can then say we’re over the line because we got Matthew Lobbe, Andrew Phillips, Darcy Lang and Liam Jones.
Don’t you think you should save your energy for the future thread ‘Walsh wants out’ which is likely to drop in the next 2 or so years? Just a thought 🤷🏽‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selective. Choosing to ignore our Brownlow medalist then?

No, not at all - just highlighting it's pretty absurd to use him as reasoning or proof that you're a destination club, just as it would be for me to do the same with any of the players I mentioned.

There is no such thing as a "destination club". It's just a bullshit term made up by media and the fans to try and pump their club up unnecessarily.

Don’t you think you should save your energy for the future thread ‘Walsh wants out’ which is likely to drop in the next 2 or so years? Just a thought 🤷🏽‍♂️

No, but I think you should probably head to Bay 13 if you want to go down that path.

As far as Coniglio is concerned, he has repeatedly claimed he is happy at GWS. I find the fact he was overlooked for leadership because of uncertainty interesting, but still feel he is more likely to stay than go. IF he goes, I believe his desire to play with his best mate (JOM) may hold as much weight as a return to his home-state (WCE), especially as he has been noted as one who wants to leverage business opportunities off his popularity/profile - much easier in Vic/WA than NSW I would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wingard and Scully say hi. Oh, and JOM, Mitchell and Impey.

Hahahaha! Genuinely LOLd at that.

Did someone really use Jarman Impey joining Hawthorn as proof they’re a destination club?

Gold.

I guess I can then say we’re over the line because we got Matthew Lobbe, Andrew Phillips, Darcy Lang and Liam Jones.
Cogs -> Carlton confirmed.

No, not at all - just highlighting it's pretty absurd to use him as reasoning or proof that you're a destination club, just as it would be for me to do the same with any of the players I mentioned.

There is no such thing as a "destination club". It's just a bullshit term made up by media and the fans to try and pump their club up unnecessarily.

No, but I think you should probably head to Bay 13 if you want to go down that path.

I threw his name it with the others, who are all absolute guns, to show that we can still attract players.

Destination club or not, Hawthorn is still an attractive club for free agents, and players like Impey, who is still decent.

Every time I see new posts in this thread I click it hoping to see some actual news regarding Cogs but then I remember that most of these player rumour threads turn into dick measuring contests that have nothing to do with the player..

Anyway the way I see it there’s only really 4 options maximum. Don’t think anyone else is really in the game because if he wants money he’ll have more than enough staying at GWS. If he wants to come home there’s 2 options, or if he wants to play with his mate that’s the final one.

I would be James Hird shocked if either Cogs or Kelly left.

GWS opened up space by clearing out lesser players to ensure they were in the ball park to re-sign their 2 guns. I doubt they would cut so deeply if they thought 1 or both would be leave.
That and it's pretty obvious we asked for a show of hands last year on who wants out, and took some big hits. Those left are likely to have indicated they are staying.

So the contract re-signing is imminent then?

It's only logical to delay re-signing until the very end of the season.

If your taking the 'delay' in re-signing as a sign they might leave then you're mistaken. This is basic negotiation 101 to boost value, especially in the case for elite players.

As far as Coniglio is concerned, he has repeatedly claimed he is happy at GWS. I find the fact he was overlooked for leadership because of uncertainty interesting, but still feel he is more likely to stay than go.

He’s the vice captain of the club. He captained the team in JLT2.

A long way from “overlooked”. In fact, I’d go as far as to say - quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back