Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Both are priorities. Not stars is a very relative term. Haynes is certainly below McGovern but he's in the top few intercept markers in the game.

Tomlinson is a bit of an enigma. I think we had to let him play as a key defender for the best part of two years, to allow him to develop and find a comfort zone. Now that's done he's very versatile. The coaches love him because he can be given a tagging role on a mid. Used to blot out out a tall or as a hard running wing. Even a pinch hitting ruckin required.

Their salaries aren't new, just on the unallocated part of the TPP for 2020 right now.

Cashed up st kilda will offer Tomlinson 600k and blues will offer haynes about the same,which would hurt more then losing Kelly as you guys get nothing for those two.

I rate Haynes highly as you do,might be why the salary dump happened last year to try and keep the 2nd teir players.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Cashed up st kilda will offer Tomlinson 600k and blues will offer haynes about the same,which would hurt more then losing Kelly as you guys get nothing for those two.

I rate Haynes highly as you do,might be why the salary dump happened last year to try and keep the 2nd teir players.
St Kilda went after Tommo last time, meh.

Haynes is a mad surfer, and settled. Tall defenders should probably be way down in your order of priorities anyway.

+ Kelly & Coniglio. There's cash to keep all of them.
Kelly is rolled gold and from the outside looking in it seems GWS made the call on Shiel with a view to keep Coniglio.

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
+ Kelly & Coniglio. There's cash to keep all of them.
Kelly is rolled gold and from the outside looking in it seems GWS made the call on Shiel with a view to keep Coniglio.

Just for the sake of it lets say gws sign them all..all guesses here

Cameron 1 million
Lids say 500 but not counted for 2020.
Greene 850k
Kelly 1 million
Cogs 900k.
Haynes will want 500k
Hooper close to 500
Tomlinson 500k.
Whitfield 700k?
Ward 500k..
Patton 500?

Will free up coin from traded players contracts and Griffin off the books for 2020 but how they fit them in I don't see it..

If they keep the talent as is full credit.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
A lot is made about Cogs going to Hawks to be with his mate Jaeger but it seems a fairly flimsy link. Sure there are other benifits but to have them outright favourites for his signature is regular hawthorn arrogance.
If you can't be arrogant after winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century.

When can you be?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Coniglio won't leave, seems like a pretty big club man. Can see him being captain one day.

Kelly, on the other hand...

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Just for the sake of it lets say gws sign them all..all guesses here

Cameron 1 million
Lids say 500 but not counted for 2020.
Greene 850k
Kelly 1 million
Cogs 900k.
Haynes will want 500k
Hooper close to 500
Tomlinson 500k.
Whitfield 700k?
Ward 500k..
Patton 500?

Will free up coin from traded players contracts and Griffin off the books for 2020 but how they fit them in I don't see it..

If they keep the talent as is full credit.

Ward and Davis are the captains.
No chance in hell they are on only 500k ...

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whole thing is a blind guess. Critiquing one line is pointless.

Was a guess of course I dont work for the club lol but it was reported greene is on 6 million over 6 years so wasn't a blind dart on the numbers.

If carlton offered shiel 1.2 million like reported scary to think what cogs gets as it's a free swing for most clubs.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Was a guess of course I dont work for the club lol but it was reported greene is on 6 million over 6 years so wasn't a blind dart on the numbers.

If carlton offered shiel 1.2 million like reported scary to think what cogs gets as it's a free swing for most clubs.
Naaah
It's just a stab in the dark once removed for Toby.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes. How might you ask.

(1) The club have a shortage of players at the 24 to 26 age group and on the main list which were the expansion team compromised draft years. The 24 to 26 age bracket is when a more serious salary is paid and hence there is flexibility. Yeo is the main one in that bracket and he signed late 2017 from memory

Age at end 2019 and number of senior players on the list (we have 3 rookies in the age groups but salary would be low)
24 - 3
25 - none
26 - 2

(2) Nic Nat will likely get a salary reduction as I expect coming back from his second ACL. He will be good but not the superstar we paid out last time.

(3) Kennedy, Hurn and Jetta will be coming to the twilight of their careers and I expect more game day balanced contracts or shorter term deals

(4) I relation to Gaff, he signed for around $300k per annum below the Norf offer.

(5) The club have mainly signed players to fixed $$$ without annual escalators meaning as the cap increases in 2019, there will be more room.

As I said, Cogs is unlikely to take the highest bidder money and something around the $1 mln may just snare him.
Ahhh the old player x, y, z are getting on so won’t be paid much,

our recent signings(gaff) signed for unders..-$300 k less?.. less than what ?norths offer??... how do you even know what norths offer was , or west coast for that matter?

Nic nats already on ambassadorial payments as it is so your probably not forking out as much as you think already
The other stuff your rambling on about age groups I’m really not sure what your trying to say..

Of course when supporters carrying on about this they “forget” to include pay rises for those already on the list... aka so your talking like NO ONE on your list will be getting a pay rise?... a premier ship winning list might I add?

So no more money for redden who’s out of contract soon and who’s elevated performances should justifiably see a pay rise?.. ditto yeo?.....even shuey with his match winning performance could rightly ask for more...
what about role players who really lifted-Hutchins sheed and Vardy ... they wouldn’t be on much but played crucial roles in yourflag.. then there’s the youngsters cole barrass Rioli venebles they should all be naturally assuming more of the pie...

See pretty easing to counter your argument there chump if you look at at it with the other eye open

Oh one more thing cogs is Italian, deep Italian family heritage ,your kidding yourself if you think his decision won’t be heavily influenced around da money

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Ahhh the old player x, y, z are getting on so won’t be paid much,

our recent signings(gaff) signed for unders..-$300 k less?.. less than what ?norths offer??... how do you even know what norths offer was , or west coast for that matter?

Nic nats already on ambassadorial payments as it is so your probably not forking out as much as you think already
The other stuff your rambling on about age groups I’m really not sure what your trying to say..

Of course when supporters carrying on about this they “forget” to include pay rises for those already on the list... aka so your talking like NO ONE on your list will be getting a pay rise?... a premier ship winning list might I add?

So no more money for redden who’s out of contract soon and who’s elevated performances should justifiably see a pay rise?.. ditto yeo?.....even shuey with his match winning performance could rightly ask for more...
what about role players who really lifted-Hutchins sheed and Vardy ... they wouldn’t be on much but played crucial roles in yourflag.. then there’s the youngsters cole barrass Rioli venebles they should all be naturally assuming more of the pie...

See pretty easing to counter your argument there chump if you look at at it with the other eye open

Oh one more thing cogs is Italian, deep Italian family heritage ,your kidding yourself if you think his decision won’t be heavily influenced around da money
I started reading your response and then realised there was nothing in the post that resembled logic, insight or football acumen. I am left to assume you are a tragic docker with the small brother syndrome that seems to never fade and your club's inability to win silverware has left you jaded to the point that you only want to see the worst for another club.

On another day, I could give you some insights but because I am feeling kind to you, I think you have embarrassed yourself enough with the post and I will leave you to gloat over your summer signings.

And if you think the Coniglio family are all about the money, then it shows how bigoted and ignorant you are and how distant you are to understanding a family that has strong values and principles. Perhaps the Freo lack of principles has also jaded your outlook.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I started reading your response and then realised there was nothing in the post that resembled logic, insight or football acumen. I am left to assume you are a tragic docker with the small brother syndrome that seems to never fade and your club's inability to win silverware has left you jaded to the point that you only want to see the worst for another club.

On another day, I could give you some insights but because I am feeling kind to you, I think you have embarrassed yourself enough with the post and I will leave you to gloat over your summer signings.

And if you think the Coniglio family are all about the money, then it shows how bigoted and ignorant you are and how distant you are to understanding a family that has strong values and principles. Perhaps the Freo lack of principles has also jaded your outlook.

I would suggest you take the time to actually read fnerd's post. Valid points raised which you should actually consider instead of casually dismissing them for the sake of club allegiance. Though the last paragraph leaves a lot to be desired, the only person embarrassing themselves here is you with your glib responses and sanctimonious attitude.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Cogs is a man of few public words about his contract status and will handle himself with utter professionalism in 2019.

A few thoughts as to what might tip Cogs.

The main aspects likely to shape Cogs decisions are:
- culture of the club
- prospects of a flag
- respect for the coach and game strategy
- leadership opportunities
- prospects after football
- fair money (note he is not someone likely to go for the highest bidder)

1. He has strong loyalty and values plus is really enjoying life in Sydney and at GWS. A coaching spill, a loss of too many top GWS players, a drop down the ladder might impact his decision but GWS have to be in the front line of betting to sign him 2020 and beyond. Likely to also be dangling the captaincy.

2. West Coast - he grew up supporting the club and he has close family in Perth. The Eagles are a close second to land him and the flag in 2018 means he knows we are there or thereabouts and joining West Coast would only move the club closer to being favourites in the next 3 to 4 years. The club culture is strong and he would have greater opportunities after football going back home. Freo may think they have a chance but the toxic Lyon will go a long way to turn him off Freo. Maybe Bell can swing some changes but Freo will need to do a lot on-field in a very short time to make him think there is a flag in the next 5 years. He has an astute football brain and will know the limitations of "2 goals short Ross". The threat of 12 flights a year is hardly a worry.

3. Melbourne somewhere - I laugh at the Hawthorn banter that he is besties with Jaeger so that will mean everything in getting him across the line. I would expect Cogs will take a good look at Melbourne and would find some attractions as a city and even the s**t traffic will be less of an issue for someone used to driving in Sydney. Question will be can Melbourne topple Sydney for lifestyle. Melbourne has a lot to offer so not discounting it but he is pretty settles in Sydney. What clubs might he choose? Those he considers as contenders and strong clubs. That puts Tigers, Pies and Hawks in play. Melbourne not likely as he wont make that much difference and the club has not go culture that will entice him.

Money wise - he is a million dollar player and so whether it is $1.1 or 1.3 mln, it will not be that big a factor. He will get fairly compensated.

Personally, I think West Coast are the only real option other that GWS. Roving to NicNat (great friends with) and a midfield of Cogs/Shuey/Yeo/Redden/Gaff and tossing Hutching the tagging role would be appealing. Simpson and his coaching strategy will be talked about in 2019 big time as will the jump West Coast has in playing 2 ruckmen and as the new rules come become clearer, the need for top line KPP's will only intensify. With Kennedy/Darling/McGovern/Barrass as the core spine plus great back-up and excellent young KPP underneath, the future looks bright.

Maybe I am dreaming about West Cost landing him. Time will tell but I do not see his decision being played out like Lynch or Dusty.

Reality is that he will not s**t on the Giants if he leaves so any club likely to want him will need to trade for him sa I see him not wanting to leave GWS empty handed.

One other factor to add here.

Who has the trade currency to land him and satisfy both player and GWS with a fair deal.

Eagles are well placed here. 2019 they currently hold one 1st and two 2nd round picks.

It will be interesting if Brander comes into play as a player exchange as well.

Eagles certainly have the trade currency to get a trade done.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Who has the trade currency to land him and satisfy both player and GWS with a fair deal.

Eagles are well placed here. 2019 they currently hold one 1st and two 2nd round picks.

If Coniglio does decide to leave i dont think it will be a trade , Personally think he would be allowed to walk to his desired club and perhaps a side deal might be arranged later on similar to the Lynch deal

Isnt Brander a victorian ?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
If Coniglio does decide to leave i dont think it will be a trade , Personally think he would be allowed to walk to his desired club and perhaps a side deal might be arranged later on similar to the Lynch deal

Isnt Brander a victorian ?
He's actually a New South Welshman born and raised in Wentworth on the other side of the Murray.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Cant see it being a trade. I think if he wants to go to WA he will walk and the club will accept end of first round compensation.

I also think his intentions would have been discussed this year, and if he wanted to go he would have been encouraged to do it this year.

The players who left this have mentioned the frank discussions held with the playing group through this year.

Brander is notable only because he was ruled out of our academy, s**t happens and we've moved on. My home town isn't far from there and I hope he has a stellar career with the Eagles. The Sunraysia district is mad footy country.

A lot is made about Cogs going to Hawks to be with his mate Jaeger but it seems a fairly flimsy link. Sure there are other benifits but to have them outright favourites for his signature is regular hawthorn arrogance.
Is it really though?

The two are joined at the hip. When Jaeger was trying to come back from his knee issues with the Suns, Cogs flew to the GC to watch him play a half of reserves. When he was then traded to Hawthorn who was in the stands at Windy Hill when Jaeger played his first reserves game for Box Hill? Cogs once more. They spend much of their offseason together - just look at either social media.

It might be strange to you and I, but certainly seems like the link between these two is more than flimsy.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Is it really though?

The two are joined at the hip. When Jaeger was trying to come back from his knee issues with the Suns, Cogs flew to the GC to watch him play a half of reserves. When he was then traded to Hawthorn who was in the stands at Windy Hill when Jaeger played his first reserves game for Box Hill? Cogs once more. They spend much of their offseason together - just look at either social media.

It might be strange to you and I, but certainly seems like the link between these two is more than flimsy.
So what your saying is that if Cogs comes back to his beloved Eagles, then there is a reasonable chance Out of contract Jaeger will want to join him at West Coast.

Excellent

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Cant see it being a trade. I think if he wants to go to WA he will walk and the club will accept end of first round compensation.

I also think his intentions would have been discussed this year, and if he wanted to go he would have been encouraged to do it this year.

The players who left this have mentioned the frank discussions held with the playing group through this year.

Brander is notable only because he was ruled out of our academy, s**t happens and we've moved on. My home town isn't far from there and I hope he has a stellar career with the Eagles. The Sunraysia district is mad footy country.

Brander is notable for two reasons. Yes he was linked to GWS with their academy prior to zone changes. I also think that he fits into what GWS need and what the Eagles almost have a surplus of.

Giants with Patton after two knees is a bit of an unknown. Also Davis is not getting any younger.

Brander could be a quality young kp chb or chf / ff to help fill a need.

Sure the Eagles have Kennedy at 31 who they need to replace but they have Oscar Allen, Brander, M Allen and Watermqn who are all pushing into the side. McGovern at 26 and Barrass at 22 are locks down back.

I dont think the Eagles would offer Brander up but he may be 'encouraged' by GWS to put his hand up.

If someone lands Cogs as a rfa it would be a massive steal.

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Brander in notable for two reasons. Yes he wqs linked to GWS with their academy prior to zone changes. I also think that he fits into what GWS need and what the Eagles almost have a surplus of.

Giants with Patton after two knees is a bit of an unknown. Also Davis is not getting any younger.

Brander could be a quality young kp chb or chf / ff to help fill a need.

Sure the Eagles have Kennedy at 31 who they need to replace but they have Oscar Allen, Brander, M Allen and Watermqn who are all pushing into the side. McGovern at 26 and Barrass at 22 are locks down back.

I dont think the Eagles would offer Brander up but he may be 'encouraged' by GWS to put his hand up.

If someone lands Cogs as a rfa it would be a massive steal.
I wasn't that positive about Patton, but he did run our time trial today.

Brander could be a fit for us, but I just dont see a trade happening. If he does want to go I cant see us matching.

We'll offer decent money no doubt probably $800-$850k is my guess. It wont be the highest offer but I can't see you guys making that either.

Interesting the way FA works you have to offer more than us to get him that way I think.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I wasn't that positive about Patton, but he did run our time trial today.

Brander could be a fit for us, but I just dont see a trade happening. If he does want to go I cant see us matching.

We'll offer decent money no doubt probably $800-$850k is my guess. It wont be the highest offer but I can't see you guys making that either.

Interesting the way FA works you have to offer more than us to get him that way I think.

The Eagles may offer about the same, $809- $900 and others may offer more. Norths if they miss out on Kelly will offer silly money.

So if say the money was similar why wouldnt you match and get a better deal?

Hawks likely dont have the trade currency as they seem to trade their 1st every year and they have to use one soon.

Letting a talent like Cogs walk as a rfa for similar money just seems silly. Why even bother with rfa then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back