Restricted Free Agent Stephen Coniglio

Virgin Dog

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do we even know that North have the biggest salary cap room? Honestly it could just be that they are the only ones willing to flaunt stupid amounts of money.

I'd bet Saints (less now with Hanners signing on), Bulldogs and Sydney all have comparable room in their caps, just are not wanting to throw pointless amounts of cash at players until one sticks. Better to choose who you genuinely need and make a play for them, rather than offering huge amounts to every major trade target that appears

(Log in to remove this ad.)

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
Do we even know that North have the biggest salary cap room? Honestly it could just be that they are the only ones willing to flaunt stupid amounts of money.

I'd bet Saints (less now with Hanners signing on), Bulldogs and Sydney all have comparable room in their caps, just are not wanting to throw pointless amounts of cash at players until one sticks. Better to choose who you genuinely need and make a play for them, rather than offering huge amounts to every major trade target that appears
Yeah, but according to their fans, they're forcing the clubs who get/retain those players to use up all their cap, making it easier for them in the future.

I mean, after Richmond signed Dusty for ~$300K/year less than North offered him, it'll be years until we can sign another big name player, no matter how much we'd like a 199cm key forward who was captain of his club.

Virgin Dog

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, but according to their fans, they're forcing the clubs who get/retain those players to use up all their cap, making it easier for them in the future.

I mean, after Richmond signed Dusty for ~$300K/year less than North offered him, it'll be years until we can sign another big name player, no matter how much we'd like a 199cm key forward who was captain of his club.
No, you see it's a really clever strategy. Every year, you force one club to pay market rate for a player, then you do it to another the following year, then once you get around to doing the same thing to every club, it's 17 years later and every player has retired and every contract is long over. It's foolproof really

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS

Why?

It seems to me if you want a player then making an offer is the appropriate thing to do. A couple of North's offerrs have gone public at seemingly innapropriate times, ie Kelly and Martin. Cui Bono would appear to suggest the players managers the likely culprits.

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
Why?

It seems to me if you want a player then making an offer is the appropriate thing to do. A couple of North's offerrs have gone public at seemingly innapropriate times, ie Kelly and Martin. Cui Bono would appear to suggest the players managers the likely culprits.
Seems odd that separate player managers only seem to leak like this when North is involved.

The common denominator is North, which would suggest that's where the leaks are coming from.

Nothing against them making an offer, but when you keep, publicly, making BIG offers and getting turned down, it's a bad look. North is fast becoming an anti-destination club. Trouble is, the easy way to get over that perception is to get a big name player, so the answer would be to offer such massive overs that it's an offer the next targeted player cannot refuse (e.g. $2M/year for Coniglio...Ridiculous, sure, but he'd pretty much have to say yes)...Which could chew up so much of their cap that it'd end up hurting the club more than anything.

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Seems odd that separate player managers only seem to leak like this when North is involved.

The common denominator is North, which would suggest that's where the leaks are coming from.

Nothing against them making an offer, but when you keep, publicly, making BIG offers and getting turned down, it's a bad look. North is fast becoming an anti-destination club. Trouble is, the easy way to get over that perception is to get a big name player, so the answer would be to offer such massive overs that it's an offer the next targeted player cannot refuse (e.g. $2M/year for Coniglio...Ridiculous, sure, but he'd pretty much have to say yes)...Which could chew up so much of their cap that it'd end up hurting the club more than anything.
Those kind of grandfather others are pretty rare. I dont know how it went down. I just cant see how the club gains from going public though. Leon said last year it's a tactic but not whose tactic.

I guess we've all got a price but my feeling is Kelly would more susceptible to money than Cogs. His family are wealthy and he was never going to struggle. I dont doubt we had to scrape and increase our offer to Kelly last time.

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
Those kind of grandfather others are pretty rare. I dont know how it went down. I just cant see how the club gains from going public though. Leon said last year it's a tactic but not whose tactic.

I guess we've all got a price but my feeling is Kelly would more susceptible to money than Cogs. His family are wealthy and he was never going to struggle. I dont doubt we had to scrape and increase our offer to Kelly last time.
My point was that the more they get rejected with big offers, the more likely they are to need to make a grandfather offer in order to regain credibility.

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
I'm not so sure. North strike me as a club that dont really give a **** about external opinions. Bit like Port in that regard.
When those opinions are from players deciding if they're to go to the club, they should give a ****.

North also cares a lot about giving the impression they're on the up because that keeps fans and sponsors handing over the much needed $$$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
When those opinions are from players deciding if they're to go to the club, they should give a ****.

North also cares a lot about giving the impression they're on the up because that keeps fans and sponsors handing over the much needed $$$
Fair points

I'm not sure it's their priority though. I think the players look past the frills but sponsorship would be an issue

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
Fair points

I'm not sure it's their priority though. I think the players look past the frills but sponsorship would be an issue
Players would look at a number of things of course, but that would include perception about if the club is looking at success and if the club is well run, and that's the sort of things that would come in here.

There is also the 'herd mentality' side of it..."If X, Y & Z said no, why would I say yes?".

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Procrastinator says it's on so its definitely not.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
This from a poster who insisted that Shiel was not leaving, was 100% happy at GWS & was unequivocally staying.....So mods, please shut this thread down now!

Yes....I'm sure we're all going to heed your words & treat them with the due respect they warrant.

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
This from a poster who insisted that Shiel was not leaving, was 100% happy at GWS & was unequivocally staying.....So mods, please shut this thread down now!

Yes....I'm sure we're all going to heed your words & treat them with the due respect they warrant.
Half way through the year 100% I was thinking he would say as he had signed recently.

But then I also can take on new info (unlike some) and said he was most probably gone, once more info came on

You had him still at the hawks on the last day of trades.

Just keep creating threads for every star off contract and say they are going to the Hawks. Have to be right sooner or later eh?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Half way through the year 100% I was thinking he would say as he had signed recently.

But then I also can take on new info (unlike some) and said he was most probably gone, once more info came on

You had him still at the hawks on the last day of trades.

Just keep creating threads for every star off contract and say they are going to the Hawks. Have to be right sooner or later eh?

A quick scan of the first 10 pages of that particular thread would quickly enlighten everyone as to the truth of the matter & the insincerity of your words.

Hawks pulled out once GWS insisted on 2 first round draft picks....It's that simple.

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
A quick scan of the first 10 pages of that particular thread would quickly enlighten everyone as to the truth of the matter & the insincerity of your words.

Hawks pulled out once GWS insisted on 2 first round draft picks....It's that simple.
As I said.

In the beginning it didnt make sense with what we knew about the contract situation.

Once further details came to light I realised I was wrong and admitted to it.

Unlike children, adults can actually do that and admit when they were wrong.

Try it some time.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
As I said.

In the beginning it didnt make sense with what we knew about the contract situation.

Once further details came to light I realised I was wrong and admitted to it.

Unlike children, adults can actually do that and admit when they were wrong.

Try it some time.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
Hard to see him at a team without 'West' in their name. Good luck Bulldogs, but he'll be a Giant or an Eagle. We've been keen on him since he was playing in the WAFL at 16.

GWS let Shiel go for a pretty good offer and gave Scully away for next to nothing. With Lobb going out and Smith, Wilson, Kennedy last year they've eased some salary cap pressure. They didn't do that for the hell of it. They've clearly prioritised Kelly and Coniglio as key players to retain. I'd be very surprised if GWS let Scully, Shiel, Lobb go under contract if they were expecting to lose Kelly and Coniglio.

We'll be pushing to sign Coniglio as a free agent but I would not be surprised at all to be sitting here this time next year with both he and Kelly as GWS players.

THE_GUN

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Piss Off You Troll

You yourself made some outlandish claims not so long ago ...........

Lynch was driving an Audi in dingley wasnt he

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You yourself made some outlandish claims not so long ago ...........

Lynch was driving an Audi in dingley wasnt he
I never saw Lynch driving an Audi in Dingley, nor claimed that he did.

I intimated however, that it would look very becoming where he to do so.

Top Bottom