Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
But we can have it :) and I don't think there is a thing you can do about it if he wants us as well.
That's the key, what he wants.

Frankly I think the fact he's a mate of O'meara is pretty weak. Players commonly have freinds on other teams, and it's not necessarily the case they want to play together.

Our guys cant get rid of Bontempelli on end of season trips overseas. He just re-signed with the Bulldogs though. :cool: Very possibly scared of the competition for a spot.

Maybe the noise on your board has a real source, but I've followed conversations and haven't seen any. Am I missing something?

That's the key, what he wants.

Frankly I think the fact he's a mate of O'meara is pretty weak. Players commonly have freinds on other teams, and it's not necessarily the case they want to play together.

Our guys cant get rid of Bontempelli on end of season trips overseas. He just re-signed with the Bulldogs though. :cool: Very possibly scared of the competition for a spot.

Maybe the noise on your board has a real source, but I've followed conversations and haven't seen any. Am I missing something?
I used to have a contact within GWS (don't anymore person is no longer associated with the club, or any other AFL club). When there were talks of Poppy going to GWS after 2017 (which was very real BTW) he let me know that there were genuine concerns even back then that we were heavily into Cogs. That's the best I've got.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I used to have a contact within GWS (don't anymore person is no longer associated with the club, or any other AFL club). When there were talks of Poppy going to GWS after 2017 (which was very real BTW) he let me know that there were genuine concerns even back then that we were heavily into Cogs. That's the best I've got.
Fair enough

I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely but I do think the most probable outcome is he stays. Money may not be as big a motivation as it is for Kelly. He's from a big Italian family and I believe the Coniglios are well known in construction in Perth. He was never destined to struggle to pay the rent with or without AFL.

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's interesting how his and Kelly's contracts pan out, I think they will be closely linked. GWS should absolutely have the money to keep both now, at below market price but that's to be expected.

If both want to maximize their money at GWS then neither will want to be the first to resign. Both would want the other to commit before they sign so they have some garuntee of the future. Seems to me the most likely scenario is they both resign at about the same time more likely to be at the end of the regular season.

A bad year could really rock GWS, if for some reason they miss finals the chance lose both increases. I think it's more likely they both than just one. Bad year, Kelly not commiting to stay on or just holding out too long for money at GWS after taking unders and it'll be fairly easy for Cogs to exercise his FA, get more money and maybe return home. At that point Kelly could get close to what he's actually worth extending to his FA year or make more, go home and even get to a stronger club.

A lot is made about Cogs going to Hawks to be with his mate Jaeger but it seems a fairly flimsy link. Sure there are other benifits but to have them outright favourites for his signature is regular hawthorn arrogance. Overwhelmingly players are going home and the Eagles would be an attractive prospect and should be the highest chance to land him if he does leave. Home playing with the recent premiership club he supported growing up trumps Clarkson and Jaeger.

Fremantle are a long shot now but they could do quite a bit to earn favour before the end of the season to go with what would likely be the largest paycheck. We'd have to vastly outperform expectations but there would be a pretty clear spot for him to slot into as the second mid behind Fyfe. Also Lobb, Wilson and McCarthy could help our case.

Hope he and Kelly stay. Much rather a strong club stays strong than loses players to other strong clubs.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It's interesting how his and Kelly's contracts pan out, I think they will be closely linked. GWS should absolutely have the money to keep both now, at below market price but that's to be expected.

If both want to maximize their money at GWS then neither will want to be the first to resign. Both would want the other to commit before they sign so they have some garuntee of the future. Seems to me the most likely scenario is they both resign at about the same time more likely to be at the end of the regular season.

A bad year could really rock GWS, if for some reason they miss finals the chance lose both increases. I think it's more likely they both than just one. Bad year, Kelly not commiting to stay on or just holding out too long for money at GWS after taking unders and it'll be fairly easy for Cogs to exercise his FA, get more money and maybe return home. At that point Kelly could get close to what he's actually worth extending to his FA year or make more, go home and even get to a stronger club.

A lot is made about Cogs going to Hawks to be with his mate Jaeger but it seems a fairly flimsy link. Sure there are other benifits but to have them outright favourites for his signature is regular hawthorn arrogance. Overwhelmingly players are going home and the Eagles would be an attractive prospect and should be the highest chance to land him if he does leave. Home playing with the recent premiership club he supported growing up trumps Clarkson and Jaeger.

Fremantle are a long shot now but they could do quite a bit to earn favour before the end of the season to go with what would likely be the largest paycheck. We'd have to vastly outperform expectations but there would be a pretty clear spot for him to slot into as the second mid behind Fyfe. Also Lobb, Wilson and McCarthy could help our case.

Hope he and Kelly stay. Much rather a strong club stays strong than loses players to other strong clubs.
I seem to recall Cigs met with Freo prior to signing in 2015? Might have just been nuffie Vic press.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Both players are going to generate a ton of interest from other clubs this year. It's pretty well known that a number of Vic clubs (Dogs, Saints, Blues and North especially) are watching Kelly, while Hawks and Freo have both been strongly linked to Cogs. Both players will no doubt be on 1mil+ contracts from 2020 onwards, but I think it is the best thing for the AFL as a whole if both stay at GWS. Losing the two of them (let alone just 1) could be disastrous for GWS, and it's really not great to have both expansion clubs struggling so hard with retention. At least GWS still has some decent depth in their midfield other than those two, but still not great having the more experienced players take off.

For what it's worth, I think both end up staying

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Maybe, I don't remember and I think I would have if it happened. We were a in a better place at that time so it's not completely unbelievable
I think players and their managers are smarter about a clubs prospects than your average fan. It's about how they see the clubs future over the length of their stay, not the past I think.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton bound just ask SOS.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We were trying to get the Rabbit last year (2018). Think we are more into him than Kelly but thats just my read on it. May have to do with needing to trade for Kelly as opposed to getting Coniglio for free. Whether or not we can sign him is another matter

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Travelling every second week on long flights wouldn't be too greatly appealing to someone who's already doing quite a bit of travel in-season.

Melbourne clubs have the advantage of less travel, more mates that you've played with easily accessible and more opportunities to really make $$$ on the back of football.
Means he is already used to the travel and wa is his home.

I think and hope he is most likely to stay with us, but just think if he does go itll be back west.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
Travelling every second week on long flights wouldn't be too greatly appealing to someone who's already doing quite a bit of travel in-season.

Melbourne clubs have the advantage of less travel, more mates that you've played with easily accessible and more opportunities to really make $$$ on the back of football.

Lol you reckon

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

Just made the argument for a retention allowance right there.

FWIW Hawthorn will be up to their eyeballs in Coniglio. Money will be a factor, but I reckon success as well. IF Hawthorn slide down the ladder then he may look to stay at GWS or elsewhere. Vice versa if Giants slide out of finals, leaving will seem like the right option.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Cogs is a man of few public words about his contract status and will handle himself with utter professionalism in 2019.

A few thoughts as to what might tip Cogs.

The main aspects likely to shape Cogs decisions are:
- culture of the club
- prospects of a flag
- respect for the coach and game strategy
- leadership opportunities
- prospects after football
- fair money (note he is not someone likely to go for the highest bidder)

1. He has strong loyalty and values plus is really enjoying life in Sydney and at GWS. A coaching spill, a loss of too many top GWS players, a drop down the ladder might impact his decision but GWS have to be in the front line of betting to sign him 2020 and beyond. Likely to also be dangling the captaincy.

2. West Coast - he grew up supporting the club and he has close family in Perth. The Eagles are a close second to land him and the flag in 2018 means he knows we are there or thereabouts and joining West Coast would only move the club closer to being favourites in the next 3 to 4 years. The club culture is strong and he would have greater opportunities after football going back home. Freo may think they have a chance but the toxic Lyon will go a long way to turn him off Freo. Maybe Bell can swing some changes but Freo will need to do a lot on-field in a very short time to make him think there is a flag in the next 5 years. He has an astute football brain and will know the limitations of "2 goals short Ross". The threat of 12 flights a year is hardly a worry.

3. Melbourne somewhere - I laugh at the Hawthorn banter that he is besties with Jaeger so that will mean everything in getting him across the line. I would expect Cogs will take a good look at Melbourne and would find some attractions as a city and even the s**t traffic will be less of an issue for someone used to driving in Sydney. Question will be can Melbourne topple Sydney for lifestyle. Melbourne has a lot to offer so not discounting it but he is pretty settles in Sydney. What clubs might he choose? Those he considers as contenders and strong clubs. That puts Tigers, Pies and Hawks in play. Melbourne not likely as he wont make that much difference and the club has not go culture that will entice him.

Money wise - he is a million dollar player and so whether it is $1.1 or 1.3 mln, it will not be that big a factor. He will get fairly compensated.

Personally, I think West Coast are the only real option other that GWS. Roving to NicNat (great friends with) and a midfield of Cogs/Shuey/Yeo/Redden/Gaff and tossing Hutching the tagging role would be appealing. Simpson and his coaching strategy will be talked about in 2019 big time as will the jump West Coast has in playing 2 ruckmen and as the new rules come become clearer, the need for top line KPP's will only intensify. With Kennedy/Darling/McGovern/Barrass as the core spine plus great back-up and excellent young KPP underneath, the future looks bright.

Maybe I am dreaming about West Cost landing him. Time will tell but I do not see his decision being played out like Lynch or Dusty.

Reality is that he will not s**t on the Giants if he leaves so any club likely to want him will need to trade for him sa I see him not wanting to leave GWS empty handed.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Cogs is a man of few public words about his contract status and will handle himself with utter professionalism in 2019.

A few thoughts as to what might tip Cogs.

The main aspects likely to shape Cogs decisions are:
- culture of the club
- prospects of a flag
- respect for the coach and game strategy
- leadership opportunities
- prospects after football
- fair money (note he is not someone likely to go for the highest bidder)

1. He has strong loyalty and values plus is really enjoying life in Sydney and at GWS. A coaching spill, a loss of too many top GWS players, a drop down the ladder might impact his decision but GWS have to be in the front line of betting to sign him 2020 and beyond. Likely to also be dangling the captaincy.

2. West Coast - he grew up supporting the club and he has close family in Perth. The Eagles are a close second to land him and the flag in 2018 means he knows we are there or thereabouts and joining West Coast would only move the club closer to being favourites in the next 3 to 4 years. The club culture is strong and he would have greater opportunities after football going back home. Freo may think they have a chance but the toxic Lyon will go a long way to turn him off Freo. Maybe Bell can swing some changes but Freo will need to do a lot on-field in a very short time to make him think there is a flag in the next 5 years. He has an astute football brain and will know the limitations of "2 goals short Ross". The threat of 12 flights a year is hardly a worry.

3. Melbourne somewhere - I laugh at the Hawthorn banter that he is besties with Jaeger so that will mean everything in getting him across the line. I would expect Cogs will take a good look at Melbourne and would find some attractions as a city and even the s**t traffic will be less of an issue for someone used to driving in Sydney. Question will be can Melbourne topple Sydney for lifestyle. Melbourne has a lot to offer so not discounting it but he is pretty settles in Sydney. What clubs might he choose? Those he considers as contenders and strong clubs. That puts Tigers, Pies and Hawks in play. Melbourne not likely as he wont make that much difference and the club has not go culture that will entice him.

Money wise - he is a million dollar player and so whether it is $1.1 or 1.3 mln, it will not be that big a factor. He will get fairly compensated.

Personally, I think West Coast are the only real option other that GWS. Roving to NicNat (great friends with) and a midfield of Cogs/Shuey/Yeo/Redden/Gaff and tossing Hutching the tagging role would be appealing. Simpson and his coaching strategy will be talked about in 2019 big time as will the jump West Coast has in playing 2 ruckmen and as the new rules come become clearer, the need for top line KPP's will only intensify. With Kennedy/Darling/McGovern/Barrass as the core spine plus great back-up and excellent young KPP underneath, the future looks bright.

Maybe I am dreaming about West Cost landing him. Time will tell but I do not see his decision being played out like Lynch or Dusty.

Reality is that he will not s**t on the Giants if he leaves so any club likely to want him will need to trade for him sa I see him not wanting to leave GWS empty handed.
I agree with pretty much everything, but we wont be dangling the captaincy. He's already vice-captain. Phil Davis and Callan Ward are no chance of losing the captaincy unless they insist. That seems very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back