Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Eagles may offer about the same, $809- $900 and others may offer more. Norths if they miss out on Kelly will offer silly money.

So if say the money was similar why wouldnt you match and get a better deal?

Hawks likely dont have the trade currency as they seem to trade their 1st every year and they have to use one soon.

Letting a talent like Cogs walk as a rfa for similar money just seems silly. Why even bother with rfa then?

I dont get that logic in offering an amount when you know that will get matched then having to trade for Coniglio

Just as an example and you could insert another name but for the purpose of this example i would trade out a player like " Masten' and get say a 2nd rounder and offer Coniglio $300k more

Net Result
Receive a 2nd rounder + Keep your 1st rounder + Keep your 2nd rounder = 3 decent picks plus Coniglio

Out: Masten

The Eagles may offer about the same, $809- $900 and others may offer more. Norths if they miss out on Kelly will offer silly money.

So if say the money was similar why wouldnt you match and get a better deal?

Hawks likely dont have the trade currency as they seem to trade their 1st every year and they have to use one soon.

Letting a talent like Cogs walk as a rfa for similar money just seems silly. Why even bother with rfa then?

It's my opinion we wont.

It's not as simple as Cogs for us. We have a lot if contracts to sort next year. I actually think the commitment to stay has already been made, or else he would have been encouraged to choose his club this year and we'd try to trade.

Shiel and Scully spoke of frank and open discussions between the club and the players this year. That would have included salaries.

Everything we do for one player impacts on the others, it's a delicate balance. In my view they'll get our best offer and stay most likely, or go if they wish.

It's my opinion we wont.

It's not as simple as Cogs for us. We have a lot if contracts to sort next year. I actually think the commitment to stay has already been made, or else he would have been encouraged to choose his club this year and we'd try to trade.

Shiel and Scully spoke of frank and open discussions between the club and the players this year. That would have included salaries.

Everything we do for one player impacts on the others, it's a delicate balance. In my view they'll get our best offer and stay most likely, or go if they wish.
I'm kind of hoping Coniglio & Kelly both stay

Hopper to Tigers would be just what the doctor ordered

Cogs and Jaegar will win flags and will likely win many hearts together.

We all want to be them. We understand their choice to wear brown and gold.

Admit it

Blood is thicker than wine is the saying.

Family lives in Perth...........and are big Eagles supporters.

So he stays or heads home to his family, friends and the club he supported as a kid.

Im sure the Hawks have plenty of father son prospects coming up.

I dont get that logic in offering an amount when you know that will get matched then having to trade for Coniglio

Just as an example and you could insert another name but for the purpose of this example i would trade out a player like " Masten' and get say a 2nd rounder and offer Coniglio $300k more

Net Result
Receive a 2nd rounder + Keep your 1st rounder + Keep your 2nd rounder = 3 decent picks plus Coniglio

Out: Masten

Eagles renound for being fair and reasonable at the trade table.

They dont have the cap space to offer stupid money just fair market value. It also ensures existing players dont get shafted and pissed off.

Masten I feel will be a one club player, he is a ufa next season and will be offered a contract to stay but on much lower money. He will decide to stay or potentially move.

Eagles can afford to play and pay fair. No need to be desperate or try and shaft anyone.

They are also chasing Tim Kelly from the Cats and will be a fair chance to land him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are priorities. Not stars is a very relative term. Haynes is certainly below McGovern but he's in the top few intercept markers in the game.

Tomlinson is a bit of an enigma. I think we had to let him play as a key defender for the best part of two years, to allow him to develop and find a comfort zone. Now that's done he's very versatile. The coaches love him because he can be given a tagging role on a mid. Used to blot out out a tall or as a hard running wing. Even a pinch hitting ruckin required.

Their salaries aren't new, just on the unallocated part of the TPP for 2020 right now.
Hawks should go after Haynes and let Sicily run wild in the forward 50. Tears would be very likely

I think foot soldier is an undervaluing term for players like him. It’s like calling Josh Gibson a foot soldier. Players like him are so valuable
I've actually never thought of Haynes or Gibson that way. Haynes is a surfie and I cant see Victoria being very enticing.

So I thought I’d just add this collage of Cogs, Mitchell and O’Meara who have all already played in the same team previously (WA). It’s not too far fetched to think that they’d like to reunite again under the best coach in the game.

I’m not going to say that it will / won’t happen but just keep in mind that the Hawks have a ridiculous amount of players out of contract by 2020. This is by no means a coincidence so make of that what you will.

C081AD54-D45D-4D65-ACE1-F2D262C621F9.jpeg

So I thought I’d just add this collage of Cogs, Mitchell and O’Meara who have all already played in the same team previously (WA). It’s not too far fetched to think that they’d like to reunite again under the best coach in the game.

I’m not going to say that it will / won’t happen but just keep in mind that the Hawks have a ridiculous amount of players out of contract by 2020. This is by no means a coincidence so make of that what you will.

View attachment 603167

A ridiculous number out of contract.

Doesnt sound like a stable list.

Especially with Roughead and McCenvoy still the Hawks best talls.

Eagles bursting with quality talls.

A ridiculous number out of contract.

Doesnt sound like a stable list.

Especially with Roughead and McCenvoy still the Hawks best talls.

Eagles bursting with quality talls.

It doesn’t mean that the list is unstable. It just means that they’ll be able to negotiate deals throughout the year catered around a FA like Cogs. One can only assume that they’d also have their eye on a KPF via trade as an eventual replacement for Roughie. They’ll also be able to cut any list cloggers.

I really hope we aren't forced to overpay for Coniglio. Great player sure, but with James Worpel likely taking the next step towards eventual Superstardom this year and Mitchell & O'Meara already stars in their prime, should we really allow ourselves to be bent over backwards for another midfielder when our KPP needs are much more pressing?

Don't get me wrong, Coniglio will be welcomed at Hawthorn where he'll obviously have a far better developmental environment to flourish in than the one he's endured at GWS, I'm just not convinced he's precisely what we need right now unless the price is right. After saying that, watching him have the chance to reach his full potential in Hawthorn colors would I'm sure be a spectacle supporters of all clubs could appreciate in the same way you've all been entranced to witness Tom Mitchell's remarkable 2018 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back