Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I really hope we aren't forced to overpay for Coniglio. Great player sure, but with James Worpel likely taking the next step towards eventual Superstardom this year and Mitchell & O'Meara already stars in their prime, should we really allow ourselves to be bent over backwards for another midfielder when our KPP needs are much more pressing?

Don't get me wrong, Coniglio will be welcomed at Hawthorn where he'll obviously have a far better developmental environment to flourish in than the one he's endured at GWS, I'm just not convinced he's precisely what we need right now unless the price is right. After saying that, watching him have the chance to reach his full potential in Hawthorn colors would I'm sure be a spectacle supporters of all clubs could appreciate in the same way you've all been entranced to witness Tom Mitchell's remarkable 2018 season.
Youre either trolling for bites or know nothing outside your fishbowl.

Either way. An amusing read.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I really hope we aren't forced to overpay for Coniglio. Great player sure, but with James Worpel likely taking the next step towards eventual Superstardom this year and Mitchell & O'Meara already stars in their prime, should we really allow ourselves to be bent over backwards for another midfielder when our KPP needs are much more pressing?

Don't get me wrong, Coniglio will be welcomed at Hawthorn where he'll obviously have a far better developmental environment to flourish in than the one he's endured at GWS, I'm just not convinced he's precisely what we need right now unless the price is right. After saying that, watching him have the chance to reach his full potential in Hawthorn colors would I'm sure be a spectacle supporters of all clubs could appreciate in the same way you've all been entranced to witness Tom Mitchell's remarkable 2018 season.

You're not quite up to the standard of most Hawthorne trolls I am afraid.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
It doesn’t mean that the list is unstable. It just means that they’ll be able to negotiate deals throughout the year catered around a FA like Cogs. One can only assume that they’d also have their eye on a KPF via trade as an eventual replacement for Roughie. They’ll also be able to cut any list cloggers.

Who are the next generation talls at the Hawks and how old are the current best 22 kp's and rucks?

Im obviously more in the know about the Eagles list.

Feel this is an area Hawks need to focus on and soon.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

Worpel slid for a reason. His final showed why.

He isnt even close to the class of Cogs

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Worpel slid for a reason. His final showed why.

He isnt even close to the class of Cogs
You're welcome to your opinion, but bear in mind Coniglio has been made to look as good as he does by having the likes of Ward, Kelly & Shiel doing a lot of the heavy lifting around him.
In our final against Melbourne O'Meara was injured, Mitchell did his shoulder near the start of the game and Shiels didn't have his best game. Bit much to expect a first year player in Worpel to carry much of the midfield load under those circumstances, against the #1 inside midfield brigade in the league.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's pretty amazing that out of all the clubs only GWS and maybe GCS are the ones with salary cap issues

If one didn't know better you would think there is a heap of invisible systematic cheating bubbling away under the scrupulously clean books of the established clubs

I understand success and location play a part but it's absolute garbage that clubs that are continually losing players are under pressure where the established clubs aren't but are bringing those players in by the truckload

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
It's pretty amazing that out of all the clubs only GWS and maybe GCS are the ones with salary cap issues

If one didn't know better you would think there is a heap of invisible systematic cheating bubbling away under the scrupulously clean books of the established clubs

I understand success and location play a part but it's absolute garbage that clubs that are continually losing players are under pressure where the established clubs aren't but are bringing those players in by the truckload

On the one hand you could choose to swallow & regurgitate baseless conspiracy theories because you happen to support an interstate franchise and find believing in the notion of "Vicbias" a fantastic means of explaining away your organization's chronic ineptitude, OR there's the far more rational, believable, and less controversial explanation that longer-established clubs tend to be better run and seen by players as more attractive destinations, so these clubs are less often forced to overpay to keep talent on their list, and the larger pool of Victorian players ensues the go-home factor is less an issue for Victorian clubs.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the one hand you could choose to swallow & regurgitate baseless conspiracy theories because you happen to support an interstate franchise and find believing in the notion of "Vicbias" a fantastic means of explaining away your organization's chronic ineptitude, OR there's the far more rational, believable, and less controversial explanation that longer-established clubs tend to be better run and seen by players as more attractive destinations, so these clubs are less often forced to overpay to keep talent on their list, and the larger pool of Victorian players ensues the go-home factor is less an issue for Victorian clubs.

I didn't say anything about Vic I said established clubs which regardless of your devastating zingers about how useless Freo are still includes us I believe as we have pilfered our fair share

Even if there is no cheating going on if 14mil in Perth or Melb gives a club the same benefit as 20mil on the Gold Coast then the salary cap is not really working

Is it ?

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So I thought I’d just add this collage of Cogs, Mitchell and O’Meara who have all already played in the same team previously (WA). It’s not too far fetched to think that they’d like to reunite again under the best coach in the game.

I’m not going to say that it will / won’t happen but just keep in mind that the Hawks have a ridiculous amount of players out of contract by 2020. This is by no means a coincidence so make of that what you will.

View attachment 603167
I need a lie down

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
No such thing
They assume that we are all trolls because we as a club have been so successful the last 30+ years.

I always try my hardest to be diplomatic here at BF but due the teams success will always have that jealousy factor present. I guess it’s easier just to assume that we’re all arrogant trolls rather than reasonable people with valid points.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They assume that we are all trolls because we as a club have been so successful the last 30+ years.

I always try my hardest to be diplomatic here at BF but due the teams success will always have that jealousy factor present. I guess it’s easier just to assume that we’re all arrogant trolls rather than reasonable people with valid points.
I’m always surprised when people level the accusation my way. I’m actually a really nice guy

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Cogs and JOM want to play footy together. Face facts.

And JOM ain’t leaving Hawthorn.

I dont really have a horse in this race but i would love to know what these 'FACTS' are

I also remember a fair bit posted about how Lynch & J'O Meara were best mates and Lynch wanted to play with JOM

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I dont really have a horse in this race but i would love to know what these 'FACTS' are

I also remember a fair bit posted about how Lynch & J'O Meara were best mates and Lynch wanted to play with JOM

Don’t know where you heard that Lynch and JOM were best mates. When O’Meara asked to be traded Lynch and May who co-captains at the time if I recall correctly had a semi falling out with him because he wanted to leave. I’ll add that both ended up being hypocrites and eventually left as well.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Don’t know where you heard that Lynch and JOM were best mates. When O’Meara asked to be traded Lynch and May who co-captains at the time if I recall correctly had a semi falling out with him because he wanted to leave. I’ll add that both ended up being hypocrites and eventually left as well.
In the Lynch thread on this board, Was posted by hawks supporters

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

3rd party deals for traditional states are a wonderful thing.
That and ambassador roles are huge down south. Pies have the biggest one so far.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
According to Hawks fans Shiel was signed sealed and delivered to them last year.

Turns out they werent even in the running.

A lot to play out the next 12 months though

Still think its us or the Eagles.

With the probability more towards us due to the Giants def would of chatted with him about his intentions last year.

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Our issues are really the result of generous start up concessions and good player retention.

The abrupt early end to our list/salary cap concessions and the unplanned loss of COLA didn't help, but something had to give somewhere.

In the big picture I dont think we can really argue we haven't been given a fair chance to build a successful club, and we just deal with it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back