Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clearly not very. After all, the 'big fish' you go after keep rejecting you for significantly less than you're offering.
you do know players sign for less than what they can get on the market, theres nothing strange about turning down a bigger offer to stay put

there's almost a 200k premium in getting a good player to switch clubs

you do know players sign for less than what they can get on the market, theres nothing strange about turning down a bigger offer to stay put

there's almost a 200k premium in getting a good player to switch clubs

Debatable and depends a lot on the club they're going to. Lynch to Richmond (and many other examples) didn't require huge overs, but that's beside the point...You're saying how good it is to have that cap space, while clearly it's achieved very little....i.e. It's not all that good.

Debatable and depends a lot on the club they're going to. Lynch to Richmond (and many other examples) didn't require huge overs, but that's beside the point...You're saying how good it is to have that cap space, while clearly it's achieved very little....i.e. It's not all that good.
its achieved nothing tangible yet....
give it time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its achieved nothing tangible yet....
give it time

You've been trying to throw money at players for at least 2 years and getting it rejected. That's a LONG time in football. It would also be creating a negative perception of your club among potential players.

Do we even know that North have the biggest salary cap room? Honestly it could just be that they are the only ones willing to flaunt stupid amounts of money.

I'd bet Saints (less now with Hanners signing on), Bulldogs and Sydney all have comparable room in their caps, just are not wanting to throw pointless amounts of cash at players until one sticks. Better to choose who you genuinely need and make a play for them, rather than offering huge amounts to every major trade target that appears

Do we even know that North have the biggest salary cap room? Honestly it could just be that they are the only ones willing to flaunt stupid amounts of money.

I'd bet Saints (less now with Hanners signing on), Bulldogs and Sydney all have comparable room in their caps, just are not wanting to throw pointless amounts of cash at players until one sticks. Better to choose who you genuinely need and make a play for them, rather than offering huge amounts to every major trade target that appears

Yeah, but according to their fans, they're forcing the clubs who get/retain those players to use up all their cap, making it easier for them in the future.

I mean, after Richmond signed Dusty for ~$300K/year less than North offered him, it'll be years until we can sign another big name player, no matter how much we'd like a 199cm key forward who was captain of his club.

Yeah, but according to their fans, they're forcing the clubs who get/retain those players to use up all their cap, making it easier for them in the future.

I mean, after Richmond signed Dusty for ~$300K/year less than North offered him, it'll be years until we can sign another big name player, no matter how much we'd like a 199cm key forward who was captain of his club.
No, you see it's a really clever strategy. Every year, you force one club to pay market rate for a player, then you do it to another the following year, then once you get around to doing the same thing to every club, it's 17 years later and every player has retired and every contract is long over. It's foolproof really

Why?

It seems to me if you want a player then making an offer is the appropriate thing to do. A couple of North's offerrs have gone public at seemingly innapropriate times, ie Kelly and Martin. Cui Bono would appear to suggest the players managers the likely culprits.

Why?

It seems to me if you want a player then making an offer is the appropriate thing to do. A couple of North's offerrs have gone public at seemingly innapropriate times, ie Kelly and Martin. Cui Bono would appear to suggest the players managers the likely culprits.

Seems odd that separate player managers only seem to leak like this when North is involved.

The common denominator is North, which would suggest that's where the leaks are coming from.

Nothing against them making an offer, but when you keep, publicly, making BIG offers and getting turned down, it's a bad look. North is fast becoming an anti-destination club. Trouble is, the easy way to get over that perception is to get a big name player, so the answer would be to offer such massive overs that it's an offer the next targeted player cannot refuse (e.g. $2M/year for Coniglio...Ridiculous, sure, but he'd pretty much have to say yes)...Which could chew up so much of their cap that it'd end up hurting the club more than anything.

Last edited:
Seems odd that separate player managers only seem to leak like this when North is involved.

The common denominator is North, which would suggest that's where the leaks are coming from.

Nothing against them making an offer, but when you keep, publicly, making BIG offers and getting turned down, it's a bad look. North is fast becoming an anti-destination club. Trouble is, the easy way to get over that perception is to get a big name player, so the answer would be to offer such massive overs that it's an offer the next targeted player cannot refuse (e.g. $2M/year for Coniglio...Ridiculous, sure, but he'd pretty much have to say yes)...Which could chew up so much of their cap that it'd end up hurting the club more than anything.
Those kind of grandfather others are pretty rare. I dont know how it went down. I just cant see how the club gains from going public though. Leon said last year it's a tactic but not whose tactic.

I guess we've all got a price but my feeling is Kelly would more susceptible to money than Cogs. His family are wealthy and he was never going to struggle. I dont doubt we had to scrape and increase our offer to Kelly last time.

Those kind of grandfather others are pretty rare. I dont know how it went down. I just cant see how the club gains from going public though. Leon said last year it's a tactic but not whose tactic.

I guess we've all got a price but my feeling is Kelly would more susceptible to money than Cogs. His family are wealthy and he was never going to struggle. I dont doubt we had to scrape and increase our offer to Kelly last time.

My point was that the more they get rejected with big offers, the more likely they are to need to make a grandfather offer in order to regain credibility.

My point was that the more they get rejected with big offers, the more likely they are to need to make a grandfather offer in order to regain credibility.
I'm not so sure. North strike me as a club that dont really give a * about external opinions. Bit like Port in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back