Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said you seem to be taking a lot of energy bagging the Giants.

So far in 7 years they have made one or is it two prelims. That is pretty decent progress and on a win loss basis the Gaints are much more successful than Hawthorn its it first 10 years.

You alluded that if they dont win a flag soon they would be a miserable failure.

You are grinding an axe for some unknown reason. Because a new team in a non AFL state got concessions? So what? It has proven that the so called nufty experts like McGuire who cried fowl until they were blue in the face were wrong. They were crying that no other teams would win a flag with all the concessions handed to Gold Coast and the Giants. And now you are sinking the boot in because they haven't. Who is being the child here?

I will say one way the Giants have been more successful than Richmond is that to date no Giants supporter ( yes they do exist) have booed, abused and split on their own players after a loss.

Just be careful with the axe, its getting sharp and cuts both ways.
LOl I have no axe to grind with any team , Sure North are testing at times on here but nothing more
You seem to be really disturbed with Richmond though and maybe you have some hidden ghosts in certain places you might like to reveal

But I have not had a go at any players or supporters and you appear to like to include these things in a debate about onfield success of the giants
Now either stay on topic or we might both be thread banned about getting into nitty gritty about what happens with 'White'Line fever at the eagles or your clubs willingness to ignore certain things

But if you believe the best list in the history of afl is a success by just losing prelim's then thats your call , I personally dont believe they have achieved anywhere near enough onfield to be considered a success and if they dont win a flag in the next 3-4 years they have failed to deliver with the talent thats been handed to them on the gold platter the afl handed the giants

In regards to your question about who is being the child here , I dont see anybody crying apart from you as we are having a healthy debate with GWS supporters and if its rattling your cage i suggest you might go onto lighter topics like the Gaff thread

Don't doubt it was, but perhaps misconstrued or misunderstood by the poster.

I don't think TL and JOM were that close personally, certainly nothing like JOM and Cogs (who are possibly the closest of any two AFL players, down to JOM having dinner with Cogs parents when Hawthorn last played in WA and Stephen was home in NSW, holidaying together, families and partners are friends, etc).

Lynch did seek O'Meara's counsel prior to going as FA. Lynch wanted to avoid the issues that GC (well Cockrain) caused, and all the upset and uncertainty and had noted how JOM and HFC carried themselves professionally through the trade period. It's why TL started his demands with "can make an offer GC cannot match", and "will not need to trade anyone". He wanted to remove any/all negotiating power from GC.

The only club that had the salary cap flexibility to do so was Hawthorn (mainly through a ridiculous yr.1 payment and short contract) - maybe North could have but I never heard of an offer - but AFL ended up getting involved in making an alternate deal happen that further compensated GC. (I don't think this was anti-HFC or even pro-RFC, rather an attempt by the AFL to get GC as much help as they could).

JOM and Cogs want to play together - whether that be during their AFL careers, or post-AFL remains to be seen. It could (should ;)) be at Hawthorn, I doubt JOM will leave HFC after he specifically sought them out. Cogs is also now a 7yr veteran of GWS, an established senior player and potential future captain. If he doesn't leave this contract renewal, he will likely be a 300-game one-club player and any reunion will be in retirement.

Speaking to his parents they believe he will resign with GWS or come home and play for WCE its only two options.
He is very very close to his family so couldn't see him leaving GWS and not coming home.
With him being very settled now in Sydney I suspect he will resign with them again, WCE will go very hard for him though.
His parents have only praise for the way GWS have looked after him.
But I lien towards him resigning as he is there captain in waiting.

Speaking to his parents they believe he will resign with GWS or come home and play for WCE its only two options.
He is very very close to his family so couldn't see him leaving GWS and not coming home.
With him being very settled now in Sydney I suspect he will resign with them again, WCE will go very hard for him though.

I think we'be been expecting a serious bid from the Eagles. I do get your reasoning, but the captaincy thing not so much in the short term. He is a leader and vice captain but Davis and Ward aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I agree him signing with GWS is by far the most likely option. Something huge would have to happen to have him reconsider - unless GWS somehow implode (and with their list assets I can't see that happening during his career), it would be a relationship breakdown or family issue that is the most likely trigger.

He's at a level where he's going to command a premium salary where-ever he went and once you are on that kind of money, the extra 300k doesn't make a huge difference - so I doubt he will be 'bought'.

I agree him signing with GWS is by far the most likely option. Something huge would have to happen to have him reconsider - unless GWS somehow implode (and with their list assets I can't see that happening during his career), it would be a relationship breakdown or family issue that is the most likely trigger.

He's at a level where he's going to command a premium salary where-ever he went and once you are on that kind of money, the extra 300k doesn't make a huge difference - so I doubt he will be 'bought'.
I think the decision to have a family might trigger a wish to have his extended family influence close.
Also possibly wanting to transition to the family business post AFL.

I would like to see GWS offer Nic Nat whatever the Eagles offer Coniglio.

We might see the first ever matched bids and a swap of players.
Dave Matthew's did promise us members we would be in a position to chase a big fish this year.
I dont see Nic Nat going anywhere though. Like Gaff players rarely leave when the club sticks by them in bad times, although different types of bad times in those cases.

I assumed Eagles would have went after Cogs if Gaff left.

I think they still remember the 16 yo who played WAFL. He is a great fit for them, and likely to be happy if he does decide to move to Perth.

Against that he's always been on 2 year contracts and they had a chance in 2015 and 2017 OOC. I have no inside knowlege but I think it's likely they did speak with manager and it didn't progress because he was staying.

Now he's reached free agency and the mid point of his career it's possibly different. If I could get evens I'd be delighted to put serious money on him staying, but I wouldn't be shocked if he went to Perth. Honestly I would be shocked if he went anywhere else, just cant see the motivation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's mostly North fans that hype Kelly as a 'done deal'. GWS will be going all out to keep both.
Would be nice.

Only reason I can see all the space cleared last year is to keep them.
I also think if Cogs was going without a doubt he would of been offered up last year to get trade value.
Kelly? Well I thought he was gone last time considering the length and size of the contract offered.
Will be interesting to see how it falls.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I assumed Eagles would have went after Cogs if Gaff left.

We still might. He's only just turned 25 and has plenty of footy left.

We re-signed Gaff, McGovern and Yeo so you wouldn't think we are flush with cap space but then no one rated our list going into 2018 and we have LeCras gone and Kennedy, Hurn turning 32 this year who won't be around forever. The salary cap is a bit of a joke anyway. We can offer Coniglio $1m a year over 5 or 6 years and only pay him $150k in 2020 if the other years work out. We just won't be trying to buy him with a North style offer.

Would be nice.

Only reason I can see all the space cleared last year is to keep them.
I also think if Cogs was going without a doubt he would of been offered up last year to get trade value.
Kelly? Well I thought he was gone last time considering the length and size of the contract offered.
Will be interesting to see how it falls.

We weren't in a great position to trade with no early picks and Gaff being a done then apparently undone deal etc. Plus having just won the flag we were never going to upset the apple cart and put a premiership star up for trade.

I would like to see GWS offer Nic Nat whatever the Eagles offer Coniglio.

We might see the first ever matched bids and a swap of players.

This is a horrible idea for GWS. Coniglio would be an $800k-$1m prospect as a free agent. Any list manager who offers that to a 29 year old ruckman who has played 15, 0, 15 and potentially 0 again games in 4 years should be made to go to Carlton.

We weren't in a great position to trade with no early picks and Gaff being a done then apparently undone deal etc. Plus having just won the flag we were never going to upset the apple cart and put a premiership star up for trade.

No doubt.

But I think we would of tried rather than get a late 1st for him this year (if he was hellbent on leaving).

So quietly confident he is staying.

Possible that GWS floated the same idea by Coniglio, Scully, Shiel, Lobb etc. and Coniglio said he wasn't interested in moving in 2018 and/or we weren't in a position to offer a decent trade. No harm in that, Shiel brought about a good trade and cleared some cap space. Coniglio possibly returning to Perth would have been a dialogue between club and player since 2011, so he could be open to it this year or he might be settled for good - no one really knows.

This is a horrible idea for GWS. Coniglio would be an $800k-$1m prospect as a free agent. Any list manager who offers that to a 29 year old ruckman who has played 15, 0, 15 and potentially 0 again games in 4 years should be made to go to Carlton.
Giants need a ruck and flashy talent to really inspire the population.

Plus the AFL can top up the deal, they love ambassador payments.

Giants need a ruck and flashy talent to really inspire the population.

Plus the AFL can top up the deal, they love ambassador payments.
I'd love Nic Nat for his talent. If the AFL stumped up the cash that'd be great. Still a very long shot he'd want to. He is a Western Sydney local though, born in Penrith Hospital.

I'd love Nic Nat for his talent. If the AFL stumped up the cash that'd be great. Still a very long shot he'd want to. He is a Western Sydney local though, born in Penrith Hospital.
I expect Nic Nat would find himself offered jobs for local businesses in Perth that have one contact hour per week and pay $150,000 a year. As soon as he did his knee the Eagles found another $300,000 to pay Jeremy McGovern.

Ambassadorial payments etc. aren't a bottomless pit.

GWS still have Cameron, Greene, Davis, Ward, Deledio, Whitfield, Patton, Taranto etc. on the books as well as Coniglio and Scully. It's not like Naitanui would be joining them in 2011 to be the face of a bunch of no name kids.

Ambassadorial payments etc. aren't a bottomless pit.

GWS still have Cameron, Greene, Davis, Ward, Deledio, Whitfield, Patton, Taranto etc. on the books as well as Coniglio and Scully. It's not like Naitanui would be joining them in 2011 to be the face of a bunch of no name kids.

When it comes to attracting non-typical talent to AFL in a market where pacific islanders are drawn to rugby, Nic represents a far more marketable commodity than that elite group of guys you named.

He is a giant Fijian Australian. He just needs to be made a Giant and he will be selling the game.

Wow.., what a lot of crap to read through!

Anyway, Cogs should be the no.1 target for the Hawks but I would bet my lunch money that he signs in July on a mega deal with the Giants & gets the Capacity to himself in 2020.

Great “love story” for Jom & Cogs to play together but I just can’t see it happening
Lucky you don’t spend much on lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back