Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
No.....Once his contrct runs out, then he is essentially a free agent thereafter.....Albeit an uncontracted one.

West Coast can just pick him up, once the end of November rolls over & he elects not to nominate for the draft.

Some of you guys need to catch-up & pay more attention to whats been going on these past 2 years or so.

You are wrong.. A delisted fa is a player who was not offered a contract. He will be offered a substantial contract by Geelong...if prefers WC then a trade must take place.

Coniglio is just money if WC have the space they could end up with both ..but due to space it would not surprise me that they have to trade someone out.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting if he'd fit ours.

The fact he has a background in our academy just means Emma Quayles background interviews would be easier if we were considering him.

He has talent and a bright future but we took Briggs last year and Idun as a long term project.

With Flynn approaching crunch time 3 years in, and seemingly coming along nicely, a tall forward may not be a priority anyway.

Brander also plays chb.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
You are wrong.. A delisted fa is a player who was not offered a contract. He will be offered a substantial contract by Geelong...if prefers WC then a trade must take place.

Coniglio is just money if WC have the space they could end up with both ..but due to space it would not surprise me that they have to trade someone out.

Correct Kelly will not become a DFA.

So a trade happens or he risks the draft like Luke Ball did going to the Pies.

Not out of the question. Cats play hardball and he goes to the draft. Only Freo and Eagles would draft him and the question is would Freo risk using one of their first or second drafting a player who is not interested in playing for them.

If not Eagles use one 2nd round pick to land him.

Given the state of the Eagles list they wont break the bank ontl trading Kelly.

As for the cap yes something will need to give.

Few players out of contract. Masten turning 30 will be on reduced terms.

Naitanui already flagged taking a cut.

Kennedy potentially may retire if not will be on a one year deal maybe two. Watch him get a coaching job with a trailing salary post retirement.

Jetta the same, one year deal and will end up as a coach memtoring the kids.

Club has serious coin so going over the footy spending cap and copping a tax isnt a big issue.

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Brander also plays chb.
Seem to recall him touted as a potential tall forward by the academy. It's a bit meaningless for youngsters anyway.

Himmelburg was a backman a couple of years ago and Haynes was drafted as a tall firward as I recall.

For us we're swimming in tall backs.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Correct Kelly will not become a DFA.

So a trade happens or he risks the draft like Luke Ball did going to the Pies.

Not out of the question. Cats play hardball and he goes to the draft. Only Freo and Eagles would draft him and the question is would Freo risk using one of their first or second drafting a player who is not interested in playing for them.

If not Eagles use one 2nd round pick to land him.

Given the state of the Eagles list they wont break the bank ontl trading Kelly.

As for the cap yes something will need to give.

Few players out of contract. Masten turning 30 will be on reduced terms.

Naitanui already flagged taking a cut.

Kennedy potentially may retire if not will be on a one year deal maybe two. Watch him get a coaching job with a trailing salary post retirement.

Jetta the same, one year deal and will end up as a coach memtoring the kids.

Club has serious coin so going over the footy spending cap and copping a tax isnt a big issue.

Fair assessment...

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Fair assessment...
Not really it confuses the club soft cap with the TPP. Going over the soft cap attracts a "tax", going over theTPP is a whole lot more serious. It would be punished by removing draft picks most likely but the AFL can be pretty much as severe as it wishes.

If he does go to the draft it opens up a lot of options that you cant just dismiss. I have no inside knowlege but his partner and Kelly might covet as well paid and looked after time on the Gold Coast for example.

Up to now he's been on around $150k max with match payments and a long way from home. Even Geelong might look better on say $500 or $600k a year.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Not really it confuses the club soft cap with the TPP. Going over the soft cap attracts a "tax", going over theTPP is a whole lot more serious. It would be punished by removing draft picks most likely but the AFL can be pretty much as severe as it wishes.

If he does go to the draft it opens up a lot of options that you cant just dismiss. I have no inside knowlege but his partner and Kelly might covet as well paid and looked after time on the Gold Coast for example.

Up to now he's been on around $150k max with match payments and a long way from home. Even Geelong might look better on say $500 or $600k a year.

Whats confusing about offering a player like Jetta or Kennedy a one year playing contract that is inside the TPP cap and also table a coaching contract post retirement for the following year?

Alot of decent players seem to end up with a 'coaching' contract post retirement that seems a tad generous.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Whats confusing about offering a player like Jetta or Kennedy a one year playing contract that is inside the TPP cap and also table a coaching contract post retirement for the following year?

Alot of decent players seem to end up with a 'coaching' contract post retirement that seems a tad generous.
If it was done while they're playing potentially a whole lot. I've never seen any data on what coaches are paid, if you have it please share.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
8 out of the last 15 pics have Jaeger in them on Stephens Insta.

1549593490974.png

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting interpretation on who was playing silly buggers. Unless a big fall is going to happen to WC or a big rise in position to Freo ... there is minimal difference between 2018 and 2019 for Kelly. Yes OOC but when he only wants the side that finished on top then the PSD is really a nogo. I do think some sort of agreement will be reached ..in no ones interest for it have a meltdown over it .. what that will be ..? we will have to see.

There's a whole thread for Geelong fan nuffiness RE: Kelly. We're not taking him in the PSD.

Coniglio is a FA target and if GWS have a good year a potential trade target. We're not going to go to GWS and say 'yeah we'd love to trade for Coniglio but our first rounder is off the table because we need to overpay for Tim Kelly'.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
If it was done while they're playing potentially a whole lot. I've never seen any data on what coaches are paid, if you have it please share.

Sorry I dont have copies of their coaching contracts at hand atm.

But ex players going straight into jobs at the club is well reported.

The year after they retired both Sam Butler and Jonathan Giles were working at the Eagles. Giles was a ruck coach and was holding bags when rucks were practicing jumping and taps. He retired with a year to go on contract but knees were shot.

Sam Mitchell was well covered in the media as a player coach then coach.

Dean Cox another who retired and coached the following year.

Plenty of examples. Some understandable and some not so much.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry I dont have copies of their coaching contracts at hand atm.

But ex players going straight into jobs at the club is well reported.

The year after they retired both Sam Butler and Jonathan Giles were working at the Eagles. Giles was a ruck coach and was holding bags when rucks were practicing jumping and taps. He retired with a year to go on contract but knees were shot.

Sam Mitchell was well covered in the media as a player coach then coach.

Dean Cox another who retired and coached the following year.

Plenty of examples. Some understandable and some not so much.
Absolutely that happens, and I haven't said it doesn't. Your club has a rep for looking after players financially and otherwise post career, but all clubs do it. Nothing wrong with that in my view, it's an admirable tradition.

It's in keeping wuth a footy tradition at lower levels for employment opportunitues to be opened by supporters in a position to help.

What I'm saying is you cant be that blatant about transferring player payments which is what your saying. If a player finishes their career and gets offered a well paying job no problem. If a player is offerred a well paying job in lieu of payments then that's a huge problem.

You just have to be careful about the process I think.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I think its fair enough . and yes of course nom for the draft doesnt mean he gets to WC ...but I really did not want to diverge a Coniglio thread further.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
There's a whole thread for Geelong fan nuffiness RE: Kelly. We're not taking him in the PSD.

Coniglio is a FA target and if GWS have a good year a potential trade target. We're not going to go to GWS and say 'yeah we'd love to trade for Coniglio but our first rounder is off the table because we need to overpay for Tim Kelly'.

You mentioned geelong silly buggers etc ... so perhaps take your own advice.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Absolutely that happens, and I haven't said it doesn't. Your club has a rep for looking after players financially and otherwise post career, but all clubs do it. Nothing wrong with that in my view, it's an admirable tradition.

It's in keeping wuth a footy tradition at lower levels for employment opportunitues to be opened by supporters in a position to help.

What I'm saying is you cant be that blatant about transferring player payments which is what your saying. If a player finishes their career and gets offered a well paying job no problem. If a player is offerred a well paying job in lieu of payments then that's a huge problem.

You just have to be careful about the process I think.

Agreed it needs to be done carefully.

Then again players still get kick backs behind the scenes. A discount here a discount there. Etc.

The brown paper bags method has run its course though.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Agreed it needs to be done carefully.

Then again players still get kick backs behind the scenes. A discount here a discount there. Etc.

The brown paper bags method has run its course though.
There'll akways be murky areas. We often employ players partners if they've travelled to Sydney and might be a bit isolated in a new place. We did get some drama employing Scully's dad but generally not. Hard to know where the line is.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The reality is that if Coniglio wants to join WC we will offer him something outside the cap, whether it's an introduction to a board member of a company who will just happen to be looking for a 25 year old footballer needing a 10 hour a week $200k a year job or whatever...

...that same reality extends to him joining Hawthorn. They'll offer him something too. And if he stays at GWS they'll offer him something as well. So much grey area.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The reality is that if Coniglio wants to join WC we will offer him something outside the cap, whether it's an introduction to a board member of a company who will just happen to be looking for a 25 year old footballer needing a 10 hour a week $200k a year job or whatever...

...that same reality extends to him joining Hawthorn. They'll offer him something too. And if he stays at GWS they'll offer him something as well. So much grey area.
We might have a job at the club post career if he wants one. There's a few if the originals I'd like us to keep. We employed people from all over the industry to get off the ground and it's gone ok. In time I'd like to see some explayers in the footy dept though.

Isn't Cogs likeky To go into the family business though?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Standard D&T board thread, no one knows anything. Could leave GWS, play for a Melbourne club then return to WA when he retires. Could stay at GWS and never leave NSW. Might quit mid contract and try and play in the NFL, people seem to do that now.

I'm an Eagles (& Swan Districts) fan so I hope he joins us as a free agent. That's the best outcome for the team I go for so i'm going to roll with that being the most likely outcome.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Dangerfield's comments today were a tad interesting. Eagles being premiers didnt help their cause in trading for Kelly.

Cats didnt want to make the top team stronget.

Yet Dangerfield and the club had empathy with the family factor.

Silly buggers?

Again ... Coniglio thread so.. I'll keep it brief. Its not unusual that clubs would be aware of not wanting to make top teams better... And WC didnt really have an early pick to get it done easily.

Mar 15, 2009
Scarborough WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
When did Coniglio and O'Meara become BFFs?

Coniglio grew up in Perth and played for Swans, was drafted to GWS in 2011. O'Meara grew up in Dongara, played one season for Perth and was drafted to Gold Coast in 2011. They would've played one carnival of U/18s together and that's about it.

True love always finds a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back