Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urban myth.
I have been reliably informed we didn't even make an offer as his mind was made up.
Really ?

So why the multiple meetings then ? and if that was not enough one last ditch effort with their best offer coming during the 'jumping the fence' charade
the only urban myth is that you have been told. The myth is on behalf of the person who told you

Eddie's face went red every time he was on footy show and asked about Lynch. He would have come out and said that we are not in the race and have no interest if what you say is true.

Standard D&T board thread, no one knows anything. Could leave GWS, play for a Melbourne club then return to WA when he retires. Could stay at GWS and never leave NSW. Might quit mid contract and try and play in the NFL, people seem to do that now.

I'm an Eagles (& Swan Districts) fan so I hope he joins us as a free agent. That's the best outcome for the team I go for so i'm going to roll with that being the most likely outcome.

I am a Hawthorn and Swan Districts fan who has, also spent some time down at Lilac hill.
Which is why I am rolling with Stephen joining Hawthorn as a free agent before returning to WA to bat first drop for the Western Warrior's and the Australian test team, as being the most likely outcome.

Eagles have two 2nd rounders plus a 1st in this draft plus future picks.

As a rfa Cogs could net GWS a single pick in the teens if he goes as a rfa. So anything better than a single pick in the teens is in play.

I would offer two firsts for Cogs. 2019 plus 2020.

Kelly out of contract I would offer the two 2019 2nd rounders.

Job done.

Brander may come into the Cogs deal as he was GWS bound thriugh their academy before the zones were changed.

Eagles have the currency to land both so no need to worry.

You cant trade a future 1st and 2nd from the same draft without trading a future 2nd back in so your proposed trades arent legal under the current rules.

Eagles are unlikely to get both Coniglio and Kelly without losing a quality player in return.

You cant trade a future 1st and 2nd from the same draft without trading a future 2nd back in so your proposed trades arent legal under the current rules.

Eagles are unlikely to get both Coniglio and Kelly without losing a quality player in return.
I keep saying it, but I'm far from convinced we would match to force a trade. Whether WC have the cash to blow us out of the water with money, or would want to, is another question.

The scenario only had one future pick traded out.. The 2020 future 1st with the 2019 current 1st for Cogs.

Eagles already hold two 2019 2nds for Kelly ours plus the Swans 2nd.

So only one future pick involved 2020 plus three 2019 picks.

If those picks were involved I could see a fringe player involved to round out a deal but if a quality kid came in then some of those picks come out.

Bailey Williams and O'Niel are Vic kids taken early on that could be involved. Nelson is another but needs a good season. If Brander went to GWS then one of the 1st rounders would come out.

Last edited:
I keep saying it, but I'm far from convinced we would match to force a trade. Whether WC have the cash to blow us out of the water with money, or would want to, is another question.
Why wouldn't you though? Unless it's an absurd amount of money (like $1mil+) that the club simply can't afford to match, surely the best result is either keep the gun player, or force the trade to get something better than what is likely to be ~Pick 12 (or thereabouts). It probably comes down to what Josh Kelly does in the end

Why wouldn't you though? Unless it's an absurd amount of money (like $1mil+) that the club simply can't afford to match, surely the best result is either keep the gun player, or force the trade to get something better than what is likely to be ~Pick 12 (or thereabouts). It probably comes down to what Josh Kelly does in the end
It's nowhere near that simple.

The club has been in discussions with the playing group since last year. Undoubtedly that would have included what they can expect in future contracts.
What everyone gets paid affects what the others get paid.
I think we have a figure and wont move much, if at all. I think he will sign in the bear future but if he wants to go, then he goes.

First round picks are like second hand cars.

You may have picked Brander with a first round but there is no way you would get theat for him now.
Lol. Literally the dumbest thing I've heard. Lucky we didn't trade Luke Shuey for a 7th rounder after his first season!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd probably do an Adelaide and match without officially matching. Easier to negotiate a trade without the added pressure of the player having exercised FA rights and signed a contract.

Every chance that in the event of Coniglio leaving GWS let him walk and then completely by surprise and in now way related another trade pops up that benefits GWS...

There are always outliers like the XY GT Falcon.

Jack Watts says hi

Jack Watts was drafted in 2008 and traded in 2017. And is a potato. Clubs other than GC/GWS who are recent start ups rarely give away players picked in first round cheaply after a season or two.

Someone like Jarrod Brander might never amount to anything at AFL level, but we drafted him at pick 13 and have signed him up for 4 years. He's not a token second/third round pick prospect come trade week. He's also the sort of player teams rarely trade for because they know he is both highly valued by his club and hasn't shown anything at senior level.

Jarrod Brander is easily still worth a first rounder, Where in the 1st round would depend on the club thats trading for him

As a Richmond supporter i would be very happy to give up our pick #18 for Brander

Picks are overrated.

Players who are traded before 50 games are heavy discounted.

Brander might be worth a mid first round pick but generally the team with the player leaving gets screwed.
That depends on the player and how long he has been in the system , A player like Brander would have been selected by Richmond had he been available at #17 in his draft year and i dont believe he has lost any currency in what he has done in nearly 2 years.

Easily still worth a 1st round pick between 10-18 in 2019 imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back