Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Unless he signs with Hawthorn ;)

Look, he may stay, but he may leave too. Some people have mail. Some more accurate than others. Let's see.
He's earned the right to do whatever he likes. I don't think that statement is difficult to comprehend?

And nobody has mail. Nobody.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To be honest after seeing that interview on Sunday I'd say he is 80% out of GWS. Add the fact that Kelly only signed a 2 year deal and I think GWS are not entirely confident of retaining him. Unlike some other Hawks posters though, I think there would be 3-4 other teams that could realistically secure his services, albeit with hawks as one of them.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Haha. Still could be the case. C'mon Cogs, re-sign mate. What's with the hold up? Is he trying to bleed more coin out of the giants? Surely not Steve! So why the wait??

What's the rush?

Dusty re-signed in the lead up to the 2017 finals, Nat Fyfe re-signed in mid July the same year.

Kelly just re-signed but for two years only and openly said it wasn't an easy decision. Coniglio could be 50/50 on a move, and he could be tossing up between a move back home or a move to Melbourne. Player movement isn't cut and dry. Scott Lycett was up in the air for a while, Andrew Gaff even longer.

If Coniglio is looking at a return to Perth then he only has two options and I don't think he'd be scared off by the current lists of WC or Freo.
If he's looking at a move to Melbourne then he has 9 options (+ Geelong) so it's worth keeping an eye on how each team is going. Would you join Carlton after two spoons and a 2 win season? Yeah nah, but would you join Carlton after a 6, 7, 8 win season with Walsh, three tall forward options, Weitering coming good in defence etc? It's a different proposition. Hawthorn aren't as attractive a proposition as many make out. Talls cupboard is bare and there aren't a lot of them on the market. Coniglio has been with GWS since day dot and played in teams of kids getting pumped each week for 3 years, he's unlikely to want to join a team at 26 and wait 3-4 years for a spine. That's not to say Hawthorn can't find one, but right now they rank lowly in that dept.

And of course the other big factor is GWS. They've gone prelim, prelim, semi the last 3 seasons and have a strong side. Kelly wants to be a part of that at least the next two seasons, Coniglio who has been there longer might be content to leave if they win a flag this year. He might want to join Kelly in re-committing short term. It's hard for some people to comprehend but a lot of players actually like living in Sydney and playing for GWS.

GWS have shed Shiel, Scully, Smith, Treloar, Wilson, Lobb, Hoskin-Elliott plus others. That's conservatively about $3m worth of players.

Griffen, Johnson, Patfull have retired, Deledio, Mumford and Shaw are 32, 33, 34 this year respectively.

You want them to keep shedding 2-3 players in their best 8-15 each year?

B Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Jeremy Finlayson
HB Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes, Zac Williams
C Jacob Hopper, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield
HF Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Matt de Boer
F Sam J. Reid, Harry Himmelberg, Daniel Lloyd
FOL Shane Mumford, Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto
I/C Brent Daniels, Adam Tomlinson, Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy

That's the GWS team from the weekend. Missing Deledio, Patton, Davis, Ward.

It's a pretty good team, but it's not the Golden State Warriors.

Question: Does GWS have a higher amount of top tier players than any other team in the league? Not just good players, but 'one of the best in position' types?

Answer: Of course. Hence why they will shed 2-3 players in their best 8-15 each year until they reach parity with the rest of the competition. That's what a salary cap is meant to do.

With Kelly locked into a player option contract after two years (basically his FA offer from GWS), and Cameron, Taranto, Williams, Whitfield and Corr coming out of contract next year, the chances of them keeping Coniglio as well as the others is low, because people will be gunning for all those players.

The rules for RFA stipulate that you must be in the top 10% (or thereabouts) of player payments at the club. That means that 4-5 players on max dollar for their position is the norm. They need to do one last cull, and then they will be where they should be, IMO.

exxcessivve

All Australian
Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Essendon, Geelong, GWS, Port
Not only do I want them to, I think that was always their plan!

Continual recycling of draft/trade value - keeping the absolute cream, whilst the support crew look elsewhere for a bigger share of the pie, or perhaps more opportunity, the trades/FA compensation for which leads to more 1st round picks. How many in that 26 would you happily give up pick 18 for? There's 13-14 names without even trying, many of whom would earn two picks of that value.

Back when their concessions were first announced I put together a rough plan out to 2030 or something, based upon not making "bad" picks (average for the selection granted) they were going to end up with 4-5 times worth of salary cap and not use a 3rd round pick until 2020. By shedding 2-3 players each year, they can keep the cap manageable, keep 2-3 first round picks every year, and keep the gravy train going for decades by which time the team should be successful, have enough history and generational support to stand on it's own two feet.

That's actually a great strategy. Maybe add in the occasional top-up of a free agent. They've been close enough to success the last three years. Surely they can get there by using this approach.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Kelly re-signs: There isn't enough money left to keep Coniglio
Kelly leaves: It's an exodus, now Kelly is gone Coniglio is out the door

I'm expecting Coniglio to stay. I mean I don't have any mail or anything, just my opinion...

Giants will have enough to keep Cogs. They cleared the decks last season to free up space and at the end of next year Paton who is reportedly on big coin wont be.

Im hoping Cogs signs the same contract type as Kelly. Two years with options. If he leaves he will bean UFA and will get paid a nice bonus to move as he wont cost picks.

Eagles nab Tim Kelly this year and in two years time Hurn, JK, Jetta, Masten, Schofield and others will be retired freeing up $1m plus to fit in Cogs

Cog stays and has a crack at a flag as they should be right up there.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Giants will have enough to keep Cogs. They cleared the decks last season to free up space and at the end of next year Paton who is reportedly on big coin wont be.

Im hoping Cogs signs the same contract type as Kelly. Two years with options. If he leaves he will bean UFA and will get paid a nice bonus to move as he wont cost picks.

Eagles nab Tim Kelly this year and in two years time Hurn, JK, Jetta, Masten, Schofield and others will be retired freeing up $1m plus to fit in Cogs

Cog stays and has a crack at a flag as they should be right up there.
Why don’t the eagles just get him now?then?,apparently it’s no problem fitting both him and Kelly under your salary cap?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Why don’t the eagles just get him now?then?,apparently it’s no problem fitting both him and Kelly under your salary cap?

They could potentially get Cogs now but that would mean the Eagles act ruthlessly with current players which is something they rarely do. Im talking about letting players like Schofield, Masten, Jetta and a few others go. They would likely also need to push a top player out as trade currency, again they dont do that normally.

Its easy for us keyboard warriors to say 'stuff it' justget rid of five players who are close to the end or not yet good enough and trade player xx for Cogs, he's a gun just do it. Easy to say not eqsy to do without risks.

They can manage a trade for Kelly this year with picks and salary. But not both without turning the place upside down which could effect player / club relations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back