Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except the Eagles went and smashed the last two drafts with multiple picks.

Hurn - Rotham debuted this season after 3 years developing, Duggan another.

Jetta - Cole already has a flag, Francis Watson is Jetta's replacement, the indigenous boys rank him the best in their group.

Kennedy - Drafted Oscar Allen, Brander and also Williams (forward /ruck). To support Darling who plays better when JK is out. Also have Waterman as a 3rd forward. Eagles tall forwards are set for the next 10 years mate.

Masten - LOL. Petrucelle will take his wing next season.

Redden 29 - solid B grade role player. Sheed is 24 you may have heard of him.

Shuey 29 - gun hence why Kelly and or Cogs are in our sights. Peaking now.

Nic 29 - yep he needs to win one in the next three. Drafted Williams but there is only one Nic Naitanui.

Added Rioli, Ryan and Cameron. So small forwards and half forwards set.

McGovern and Barrass are 24 and 26. Beasts to hold down the backline.

One or two trades for key positions of need over the next three years isnt hard.

Eagles arent looking at a dozen new players just two or three quality ins.
Wow ! My bad.

How good are the Eagles ? Rarely watch them but from what you say above, I think you guys will smash a three-peat no worries.

Don't think you could fit Kelly in with all that talent.

Congrats !

Go Eagles

A couple things go our way with umpiring / in-game injuries and the Hawks don't lose the Dogs / Saints / Dees games (off the top of my head) and are sitting just outside the top 4.
Add Mitchell, Coniglio, Patton, a fully fit Wingard (plus a couple first round draft picks) and you cannot tell me we are going to be far off.

Sounds like you are convincing yourself.

Burgoyne, McEnvoy, Roughead, Pupolo, Birtchell, Stratton, Frawley, Smith, Henderson and Ceglar will be retired within 3 years. Bruest and Scully over 30 in that period. That is a massive list of quality ending or close to the end. Massive.

What will be will be.

Kelly to the Eagles will likely rule out Cogs anyway.
Yeah yeah yeah. So we're told. And we're not gonna naturally turn that list over are we?

If we're so s**t, doesn't say much about your mob. Fell over the line in a slog at the G the other week.

A couple things go our way with umpiring / in-game injuries and the Hawks don't lose the Dogs / Saints / Dees games (off the top of my head) and are sitting just outside the top 4.
Add Mitchell, Coniglio, Patton, a fully fit Wingard (plus a couple first round draft picks) and you cannot tell me we are going to be far off.
Same with us v Sydney and ANZAC day and suddenly we are top 4.

Not having everything go your way isn't unique to Hawthorne.

You have a young list with key pillars at either end lacking midfield depth. You have a team starved of success so winning with them he would be a legend to the blues.

On the other hand you have a team who has had sustained success and is in a bit of a limbo with the direction they want to go (top up or bottom out and rebuild). A premiership to hawks fans now he wouldn't be seen as a legend like your Hodges, Mitchell etc

My post wasnt aimed at slaying the hawks it's common sense from the general public that the blues would be the better option but the hawks would be mad not to have a good crack at him

I think all Carlton lack is a Cogs imagine this Blues Fans. In 3 years time you have a developed Walsh, Cogs, and Captain Cripps in the centre square. As a saints fan I’m scared by that midfield. You guys should be excited.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Irony with Carlton's list is this. Tell me what happens when blokes like Simpson, Thomas, Kreuzer, Murphy etc all retire. People bang on about our experienced guys, but this is just as bad.

Anyway, this thread has just turned into potting the Hawthorn list 24/7.

Back to Cogs. The longer this drags on, the more likely he's leaving. Blind Freddy knows that Hawthorn are up to their eyeballs in this. Tick tock.

There are other clubs up to their eyeballs in it. I’ll name five;
Freo
Stk
Carl
WCE
GWS

Burgoyne, McEnvoy, Roughead, Pupolo, Birtchell, Stratton, Frawley, Smith, Henderson and Ceglar will be retired within 3 years. Bruest and Scully over 30 in that period. That is a massive list of quality ending or close to the end. Massive.

What will be will be.

Kelly to the Eagles will likely rule out Cogs anyway.

I've been hearing this a lot -
those guys have great reputations - some of them champions of the club & the game.
No doubt plenty of re-generation still needs to occur but the core of our group are not the above. Look at our Top 10 B&F last year.

Mitchell
Hardwick
Gunston
Omeara
Bruest
Stratton
McEvoy
Shiels
Sicily

Worpel, Impey, Scrimshaw, Wingard, Lewis, Obrien are all young enough & emerging.

There will be some additional kids added & some will emerge from the existing crop as well. Yes it's a side in transition but add in Stephen & Patton plus whatever extras we can get & its fairly exciting imo.

It may all fall to s**t as well but how can I/we not trust the guys we have in charge?

He hates purple.

He and his family bleed blue & gold, no chance he comes to Freo. I think he will remain at the Giants. Hawthorn are no longer a destination club and WCE will struggle to meet his wage demands. Giants have already said he will take over the captaincy if he stays.

It's not that simple mate. Nothing is.

He's got a ton of business interests here in Melbourne. Some with JOM, yes. His other mate Patton may also be joining Hawthorn. Scully is also here.

Yes, there is Clarko. There is also Sam Mitchell.

Yes we have senior players retiring, but we have young guns in Worpel, Sicily, Hardwick and Impey coming through. We have Tom Mitchell returning.

We have a new world class facility being built as we speak.

We have a ton of recent success and a proven track record of going again.

Don't write off Hawthorn. It would be foolish.

At one stage you will have to rebuild. You last finished bottom in 1965. You haven’t had a top 10 pick since 2006 (Mitch Thorp, Pick 6). You will have to bottom out again and build up maybe it isn’t for another 10 years and get some good kids of other clubs. Maybe it’s now and time to use the top 5 pick that is going to land in your hands at the end of the year.

However the above paragraph does have something to do with Cogs. Would he really want to go to a club that is going to have to rebuild? I think not. Now knocks the Saints out as well. So there’s four other options

Stay
Advantages
Challenging
Disadvantages
Losing talented personal every year

Freo
Advantages
Finals contention, Money
Disadvantages
Not challenging for a premiership yet

WCE
Advantages
Premiership contention
Disadvantages
No Money

Carl
Advantages
Money, Growth
Disadvantages
Still on the bottom of the ladder

I think he shocks everyone and moves to Carlton.

Good teams win no matter what. So a guess the AFL should give you pick 12 instead 6 then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he’d just stay at GWS if he was in Sydney. The bulldogs have cash and growth, I could see why he want there.

The Doggies have millions to spend over the next couple of years, I'm expecting them to be big players in this off season.

Potentially chasing Whitfield too.

This is the problem with this thread, a Hawks poster makes arguments as to why Cogs may choose Hawthorn and people bitch about the Hawks fan acting like it's a done deal.

It's ok for West Coast fans to act like they're getting both Cogs and Kelly though. :rolleyes:

You do realise that at no point has Cogs mentioned or suggested he has any interest in moving to Perth right? He's met with Hawthorn, Carlton and St Kilda though, so that would suggest if he does leave Sydney, it'd be to move to Melbourne.

I think the Bulldogs and Sydney would be keen on him too.
I think he’d just stay at GWS if he was in Sydney. The bulldogs have cash and growth, I could see why he want there.

I personally doubt it. The last thing the Dogs need to recruit is more midfielders, unless they are elite in outside speed and crafty ball usage (hence the links to Martin and Hill). Coniglio is a gun, but it would be a pretty poor usage of cap space for the Dogs to bring him in, considering that's $1m+ for a player who is not even going to be our best mid. We already have Bontempelli as the better player, with Macrae about on par, as well as guys like Dunkley and Smith improving every week.

Ameet Bains made it clear we'd be aggressive in the trade period, but I just doubt that involves guys like Coniglio. More likely the cash is spent on something like Martin + Tomlinson, which wouldn't cost much more than Coniglio on his own

The Doggies have millions to spend over the next couple of years, I'm expecting them to be big players in this off season.

Potentially chasing Whitfield too.
Whitfield is one I could see us chasing, but doubt he'd actually come to us. Him, Martin and Hill are all types we'd be into this off-season

If all clubs are offering an acceptable amount of money, any money on top of that can pretty much be removed from the equation as something that will actually influence a player to join a club. Why would someone go somewhere on a deal that compromises their ability to form and maintain a reasonable playing group? It doesn't happen.

Any smart player around Coniglio's age bracket would be looking at their next club as the club they will retire with. So that means they'll be looking for:

1. Opportunity for success while playing
2. Their fit as a player
3. Stable culture and a strong brand
4. Opportunity for success after retiring
5. The right environment to settle down into

If we're being honest, if the same money is being thrown at Coniglio from all angles, his most logical decision would be West Coast. Good fit, near family, one of the strongest brands in the league and rich history of club success.

His absolute least logical decision would be Carlton. Decent fit, but poor opportunity for success, no stability and an absolutely toxic environment for a club. I doubt a Visy deal through some of the Carlton power brokers makes up for that.

I’m not sure any one said that though.

What has been argued against is the idea that its fanciful for Hawthorn supporters or any others to think that Clarkson can get this team to rise in 2-3 years.

Again, that’s not what anyone has said.

Much like BJK#5 posted earlier in the thread, the majority of Hawthorn posters are simply arguing that it’s not such a preposterous notion to think that Hawthorn is a desired destination for players, or for Hawthorn or Clarkson to be talking about rising again quickly in such an even comp.

The continued disregard for the best coach in the comp is what is really crazy.
I didn't say Hawthorn isn't a desired destination, nor did I disregard Clarkson. If that's an argument you want to have go argue it with someone who actually said that.

What I'm talking about is whether this argument is logical, rational, and likely to convince people who aren't Hawthorn supporters:

Bottom 8 is closer to the top than ever + Alistair Clarkson says "Hawthorn will be contending in 2-3 years" = Hawthorn is the best choice for Coniglio

First of all, I can't find the quote for Clarkson saying that. If you could point me to it that would be great, but for now I'll take it at face value.

The problem here is that if equalisation is working, then many clubs should be in contention in 2-3 years time, not just Hawthorn. If Hawthorn is capable of jumping 12 spots up the ladder when they're all pretty equal, so are all those other teams that are equal with Hawthorn.

My point here is not that Hawthorn can't be in contention. My point here is that anyone could be. Coniglio has plenty of things to consider, but I don't think this argument would be highly rated on his list of pros and cons.

I think the Bulldogs and Sydney would be keen on him too.
Surely the Dogs would be close to the last team that would chase him.

Macrae, Libba, Bont, Hunter, Dunks, McLean is quality as well as others that can rotate through.

One of the best midfields in the comp and they would be crazy to lock in a mil a year in a position of such strength.

Surely the Dogs would be close to the last team that would chase him.

Macrae, Libba, Bont, Hunter, Dunks, McLean is quality as well as others that can rotate through.

One of the best midfields in the comp and they would be crazy to lock in a mil a year in a position of such strength.
Except when they trade a gun mid for picks to also pick up the key tall they need. They get the replacement gun mid for free.

I think you don't know

No one does except Coniglio himself & Obeanie !
I think everyone in the list management industry knows.

The player managers don't suggest there will be a huge number of players moving clubs six months before the trade period and miraculously the story springs on the clubs during the trade window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back