Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogs can't fit all of Bont, Libba, Macrae and Dunkley in the middle as it is, Cogs would not be money well spent.
They can. Especially because Coniglio can play around the ground too. They don't play 100% game time in the middle she the next guys in improving mean they get two A-team stoppage teams.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
They can. Especially because Coniglio can play around the ground too. They don't play 100% game time in the middle she the next guys in improving mean they get two A-team stoppage teams.
Disagree. At various times this year, Macrae or Dunkley have been forced out of the middle for (the inferior IMO) Libba as it is. Coniglio coming will take more midfield time off players who are roughly equally as good there. Sure he can play other positions but they would be in no way getting value for money with another inside midfielder.

If they can't attract anyone else then why not I guess, but it would be down the list for them I suspect. They'd be better off throwing that cash at Ed and Billy from us.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Except when they trade a gun mid for picks to also pick up the key tall they need. They get the replacement gun mid for free.
If this was the path we took, then it would make sense chasing Coniglio. The thing is, all our mids of high value are locked away on long term deals (3+ years). Bontempelli, Macrae, Dunkley, McLean and Hunter, plus guys like Richards, JJ, Lipinski who feature along the centre line all for a couple years each.

Maybe someone like McLean, who re-signed last year on a long term deal, will want out because of the tight race for spots, but I doubt it's a move the Dogs would willingly do unless a player requests to leave. Doubt we're even enquiring about Coniglio right now

Mar 15, 2009
Scarborough WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
You have a young list with key pillars at either end lacking midfield depth. You have a team starved of success so winning with them he would be a legend to the blues.

On the other hand you have a team who has had sustained success and is in a bit of a limbo with the direction they want to go (top up or bottom out and rebuild). A premiership to hawks fans now he wouldn't be seen as a legend like your Hodges, Mitchell etc

My post wasnt aimed at slaying the hawks it's common sense from the general public that the blues would be the better option but the hawks would be mad not to have a good crack at him

You are right we do set a high bar.
images.jpg

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it possible to adapt the ignore function to just filter all posts containing the word Clarkson?

Obviously I'd miss out on witty Topgear references but it's a sacrifice that I'd be prepared to make...
If you figure it out, keep me updated. Would be keen to do the same for the search term "Tim Kelly" in every main board thread on this website

What you did say was that matey was fine to believe what Clarkson has to say about rising as a Hawks fan, but that you don’t have to agree with it.

That’s fine, but if you’re now also saying all 17 teams have a chance to rise, why would you imply that Hawthorn rising in 2-3 years is something that only Hawthorn supporters would believe? 😉
At best it places Hawthorn somewhere between possible contenders and bottom 8, which is not particularly meaningful unless you choose to believe that your coach has prophetic abilities. And I mean he's your coach, you're welcome to consider him a prophet. As a supporter you have every right to be biased about that. You just can't expect everyone else to share your bias, that's all :)

I note that you haven't had great success finding the quote either, which is a pity. I was wondering if there was some sort of context to it, perhaps he gave more information to justify it or something? I dunno. I did find this but it seems a bit old to be what you're referring to?

How do you define a "contender" anyway? I guess anyone who looks like making finals really, right? Otherwise the Bulldogs weren't a contender in 2016, which doesn't seem right.

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I note that you haven't had great success finding the quote either, which is a pity.

In his last presser after they beat Collingwood he says something like "The Hawthorn supporters would be happy to see the young kids out there and if they end up being really good players we give ourselves a chance to win some silverware in the not too distant future".

I don’t consider him a prophet, but I do consider him a proven premiership coach. So should you.

That’s what seems to get lost quite a bit....Hawthorn fans aren’t blindly following a guy who says the right things or showing “bias” by believing he can get his side to contend, they’re following a coach who has proven time and time again that he can coach his side to premiership contenders.

Clarkson hasn’t stated the 2-3 years comment, at least publicly, it was a comment made in a post by matey which may or may not have come via a recent members function where Clarkson spoke, because as we’ve touched on a few times he believes that with the evenness of the comp a few additions and some form can see sides rise quickly.
Okay I think you've answered it there. You can't blindly believe something "Clarko said" that he didn't actually say, so that's fine.

In his last presser after they beat Collingwood he says something like "The Hawthorn supporters would be happy to see the young kids out there and if they end up being really good players we give ourselves a chance to win some silverware in the not too distant future".
That's a lot of if. No pressure or anything. I think the crux of it is that if Hawthorn can get Patton and Cogs and find a few decent players among their youth they could be in with a chance at some silverware. I think a lot of clubs would be in with a chance of silverware with the same caveats but he's not wrong.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Is it possible to adapt the ignore function to just filter all posts containing the word Clarkson?
As long as we can also filter out the obvious arse sore “Hawk Envy” stuff as well.

I know that the fact that the Hawks have been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century gives them a target on their backs, but all the “Hawks are s**t and why would Cogs go to them” from supporters of teams that have achieved nothing is a giggle.

It’s like they think every team in the Comp are capable of a rebuild except Hawthorn.

On topic IMO Cogs stays at GWS but if he does move it will be to the most successful club of the last half a century, just so he can play under Clarkson.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
'Hawk envy'. Jesus Christ. No one gives a * what you did in the 70s and 80s. Pretty sure everyone on BigFooty is aware Hawthorn had a pretty bloody good side in the 2010s. Carlton have won 8 flags since WWII, Essendon 9. How are are they travelling? A certain group of supporters loves to point out that Carlton haven't won a flag since 1995 and Essendon haven't won a final since 2004. Yet here you are crapping on about 'an astonishing rate for over half a century'. I guess Essendon and Carlton are preferable destinations to say WC and Geelong? I mean Geelong didn't win a flag for 40+ years at one stage... and I don't know WTF we were doing before 1986.

The only reason people are responding to posts about Coniglio going to Hawthorn is because there are so friggen many of them. Trust me, we'd all be a lot happier if the Hawthorn circle jerk was in the Hawthorn 2019 thread or on the Hawthorn board so people could actually discuss the merits of Coniglio moving/staying without being bogged down by cult of Clarkson nuffies.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the state of any club's list at a given point and their future prospects. Coniglio is 27 next year. He's probably got 6 or 7 years of good footy left, so he could realistically go anywhere and win a flag in that time frame. I mean go back 7 years from 2018 and find someone who said the next 7 flags would be Sydney, Hawthorn x 3, Richmond, WB, WC. If you think the Hawthorn list is great then fantastic, but other people see a team that hasn't won a final since 2015, is on track to miss finals for the 2nd year in 3 and has 8 players 30 or over still to replace. Ultimately irrelevant to what the player thinks, but I would be very surprised if some average stat of flags won per year from 1961-2015 was a deciding factor for a 26 year old in 2019. Everyone wants to be part of a 2011-2016 side, not so many takers for 1992-2007.

You can lock it in that if Coniglio doesn't go to Hawthorn that the next thread will be infested with the same 'we r da best, Clarkson is da best' rubbish this one is. See Shiel, Lynch etc.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
'Hawk envy'. Jesus Christ. No one gives a fu** what you did in the 70s and 80s. Pretty sure everyone on BigFooty is aware Hawthorn had a pretty bloody good side in the 2010s. Carlton have won 8 flags since WWII, Essendon 9. How are are they travelling? A certain group of supporters loves to point out that Carlton haven't won a flag since 1995 and Essendon haven't won a final since 2004. Yet here you are crapping on about 'an astonishing rate for over half a century'. I guess Essendon and Carlton are preferable destinations to say WC and Geelong? I mean Geelong didn't win a flag for 40+ years at one stage... and I don't know WTF we were doing before 1986.

The only reason people are responding to posts about Coniglio going to Hawthorn is because there are so friggen many of them. Trust me, we'd all be a lot happier if the Hawthorn circle jerk was in the Hawthorn 2019 thread or on the Hawthorn board so people could actually discuss the merits of Coniglio moving/staying without being bogged down by cult of Clarkson nuffies.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the state of any club's list at a given point and their future prospects. Coniglio is 27 next year. He's probably got 6 or 7 years of good footy left, so he could realistically go anywhere and win a flag in that time frame. I mean go back 7 years from 2018 and find someone who said the next 7 flags would be Sydney, Hawthorn x 3, Richmond, WB, WC. If you think the Hawthorn list is great then fantastic, but other people see a team that hasn't won a final since 2015, is on track to miss finals for the 2nd year in 3 and has 8 players 30 or over still to replace. Ultimately irrelevant to what the player thinks, but I would be very surprised if some average stat of flags won per year from 1961-2015 was a deciding factor for a 26 year old in 2019. Everyone wants to be part of a 2011-2016 side, not so many takers for 1992-2007.

You can lock it in that if Coniglio doesn't go to Hawthorn that the next thread will be infested with the same 'we r da best, Clarkson is da best' rubbish this one is. See Shiel, Lynch etc.

Well said. Apparently if you think Hawthorn wont be competing anytime soon you are jealous or something. Any opinion contrary to the general Hawks consensus is just dismissed as envy. I must be jealous of Adelaide as well because I also think they are screwed.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Be afraid this is the type of things that Clarko was saying and putting it out there publicly during 2005-07 and 2010-2012. Deja Vu!

Might be able to but he’s not going there. It’s hawks or giants
There is now a poll. Perhaps I should have made the votes visible so we can see how many neutral supporters agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back