Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah yeah yeah. So we're told. And we're not gonna naturally turn that list over are we?

If we're so s**t, doesn't say much about your mob. Fell over the line in a slog at the G the other week.

Yep crap conditions does help bring sides closer together if the effort is there.

When was the last time the Eagles knocked off the Hawks at the MCG? Thats been a fortress for what 10 years.....more? Another hoodoo busted!:thumbsu:

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Wow ! My bad.

How good are the Eagles ? Rarely watch them but from what you say above, I think you guys will smash a three-peat no worries.

Don't think you could fit Kelly in with all that talent.

Congrats !

Go Eagles

The point was to compare the two clubs lists. One needs 2 or 3 quality players over the next 2 to 3 years to stay in contention, not say they would win it but contend.

The other club looks like it needs a good dozen best 22 players to come in and replace a swag of retirements in key positions.

Carry on!

Flamin Joe

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood
On the other hand you have a team who has had sustained success and is in a bit of a limbo with the direction they want to go (top up or bottom out and rebuild).

Say "Hi" from me to Clarkson and Wright next time you chat with them about Hawthorn's direction. You are talking to them aren't you to get this insight?? :think:

Pro tip: What fans discuss/argue about on an internet forum about the direction of a club is not a true indication of what's happening within. You're just pulling this out of your arse quite frankly.

That’s awesome but where people think Coniglio should go and where he will go are not the same. It’s only hawks or giants
If I had a dollar for every time someone posted in July saying they knew where a player was going to be in November I’d be very very rich. And I’d be almost twice as rich if I got another dollar for all of the ones that turned out to be wrong.

Believe it or not there are dozens of people who are ‘in the know’ on these forums. Supporter groups always seem to think they know who they’re getting in July. Usually it involves a freebie through free agency or a cents on the dollar trade. Then they try to drown out any discussion to the contrary. Amazingly, come October, very few of them are actually right.

If you don’t want to read discussion about Coniglio potentially going anywhere other than your club, then I suggest you join the discussions on the Hawthorn board instead.

If I had a dollar for every time someone posted in July saying they knew where a player was going to be in November I’d be very very rich. And I’d be almost twice as rich if I got another dollar for all of the ones that turned out to be wrong.

Believe it or not there are dozens of people who are ‘in the know’ on these forums. Supporter groups always seem to think they know who they’re getting in July. Usually it involves a freebie through free agency or a cents on the dollar trade. Then they try to drown out any discussion to the contrary. Amazingly, come October, very few of them are actually right.

If you don’t want to read discussion about Coniglio potentially going anywhere other than your club, then I suggest you join the discussions on the Hawthorn board instead.
I agree with your first 2 paragraphs and I don't agree with his opinion either, I think there's more teams in the frame. But it's an opinion on where he think Cogs will end up so it's valid for this thread. If you don't like it, that's your problem. You can disagree and move on like everyone else in this thread has to.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Might be able to but he’s not going there. It’s hawks or giants

That’s awesome but where people think Coniglio should go and where he will go are not the same. It’s only hawks or giants

If you tell yourself that enough times, it might eventually come true.

Nobody has any idea where Coniglio is going. I've heard that the Suns have a serious offer to Coniglio but like all of us, I have no idea which way Coniglio is leaning.

All I want is for him to lift his game for the rest of 2019 because he's been well below his high standards over the past two months, and then if he chooses to move on then he can do whatever he likes- he's earned that right.

I agree with your first 2 paragraphs and I don't agree with his opinion either, I think there's more teams in the frame. But it's an opinion on where he think Cogs will end up so it's valid for this thread. If you don't like it, that's your problem. You can disagree and move on like everyone else in this thread has to.
Not when it’s my job to moderate the thread and I’ve got people coming in here trying to prevent discussion about anything else. If you have any more commentary around that you can PM me.

I think he stays TBH - GWS will have the cash to keep him, especially with last years' cleanout done and Patton likely to go as well.
Hawks will probably be happy with Patton anyway.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
This year has shown how much an A grade mid can help the hawks. (As in, losing our Brownlow medallist has seen us plummet)

It must appeal to Coniglio to know it's not just him coming into the side for 2020, but also Mitchell and Wingard. It's not going to be like Shiel at Essendon where he will be expected to be THE midfield.

I can see the appeal.

Clarkson isn't the only good coach. Sure, he's the only out there with 4 flags to his name so that has some serious weight.

I don't think Coniglio is the kind to be purely motivated by dollars alone. Bidding wars are for jerk players. I think he's the kind that will know his worth and not haggle over $100-$200k. His manager will, but the decision will be made on a bunch of things.

It's likely he's already made a decision.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Yes must be 100% that and nothing at all to do with players like Roughie reaching their use by dates......
You'd have to be an idiot to talk in absolutes like you've suggested.

But if you've watched a Hawthorn game this year you'd notice that our midfield is where the huge deficiency is.

I mean, Mitchell was the league's best player in 2018. Taking him out leaves a massive hole. If you can't see that then you're not watching properly.

There are other things as well - Gunston, Breust, Smith and Stratton are four guys that were great in 2018 and have been wayyyy below their best in 2019. Everyone is obsessed by the age bracket thing - but that's a really short sighted, uninformed, almost idiotic take on what's wrong with Hawthorn.
Roughy is cooked, but we knew that last year which is why we went hard for Tom Lynch. It's not as though Clarko rocked up in round 1 this year and expected Roughy to kick 3-4 goals a game.

But the other older guys:
- Burgoyne killed it last week. He was awesome.
- Frawley keeps shutting down the best forwards without anyone noticing.
- McEvoy is a gun. Form dropped off during his injury stage but has played a number of huge games.
- Ricky Henderson is having a career best year

It's really only Roughy and Puopolo that have looked like they've fallen away due to age this year. Clarkson likes to stagger retirements/moving players on and has been moving on 2 players per off season for the last 5 years I think.

Our defence has held up amazingly this year. Our midfield has fallen away and (prob due to the midfield) our forward line hasn't fired a shot this year.
Get back the best player in the league, and a fit Wingard and that's a lot of star power added for a prospective Free Agent to join. I mean, it would be like hearing a party down the street playing your favourite music, you'd be drawn to it.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cognilio is Italian for rabbit

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Okay, so whether you think Tom Mitchell is the best player in the league, or just the best player of 2018 - it must be appealing as a topline mid to know that you'll be arriving at a club at the same time that a guy like that is returning to the side.

Compared to going to a struggling club where you're signing up to carry the whole midfield on your shoulders. I mean, everyone saw what happened to Judd. Buddy has tried to carry the swans for 6 years.

If Coniglio leaves it has to be taken into account that he is leaving a star studded line up that has underperformed. He doesn't want to go to a club with less star power around where he has to take on more responsibility with less chance for success.

I mean, if he came to the hawks, he would be working next to a brownlow medallist, with a brownlow medallist midfield coach under a senior coach with 4 premierships. That's a hell of a great environment to be landing into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back