Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people don't think Tom Mitchell was the best player in the league in 2018. Crazy, I know. Clear Hawthorn envy. Just like all of those people who didn't think Matt Priddis was the best player in the comp. #EagleEnvy

If we are talking about environments to walk into, how about a team that won the 2018 flag and is in with a chance to win the 2019 flag? And that same team is the one you supported as a kid. Said team has the reigning Norm Smith medalist and two recent AA midfielders around the same age bracket, and an elite tap ruckman from your same junior club. Plus the current Brownlow medal favourite expressed a public desire to join last year and may again this year. And to top it off the midfield isn't considered an area of strength compared to the spine. He would have to move where he would be close to family and friends and be coached by a one time premiership coach and reigning AA coach, and he would be looked after in life after football...

Do it, Cogs. Do it.

Some people don't think Tom Mitchell was the best player in the league in 2018. Crazy, I know. Clear Hawthorn envy. Just like all of those people who didn't think Matt Priddis was the best player in the comp. #EagleEnvy

If we are talking about environments to walk into, how about a team that won the 2018 flag and is in with a chance to win the 2019 flag? And that same team is the one you supported as a kid. Said team has the reigning Norm Smith medalist and two recent AA midfielders around the same age bracket, and an elite tap ruckman from your same junior club. Plus the current Brownlow medal favourite expressed a public desire to join last year and may again this year. And to top it off the midfield isn't considered an area of strength compared to the spine. He would have to move where he would be close to family and friends and be coached by a one time premiership coach and reigning AA coach, and he would be looked after in life after football...

Do it, Cogs. Do it.
Pies by 20

Okay, so whether you think Tom Mitchell is the best player in the league, or just the best player of 2018 - it must be appealing as a topline mid to know that you'll be arriving at a club at the same time that a guy like that is returning to the side.

Compared to going to a struggling club where you're signing up to carry the whole midfield on your shoulders. I mean, everyone saw what happened to Judd. Buddy has tried to carry the swans for 6 years.

If Coniglio leaves it has to be taken into account that he is leaving a star studded line up that has underperformed. He doesn't want to go to a club with less star power around where he has to take on more responsibility with less chance for success.

I mean, if he came to the hawks, he would be working next to a brownlow medallist, with a brownlow medallist midfield coach under a senior coach with 4 premierships. That's a hell of a great environment to be landing into.
Yeah but we hate Hawthorn and stuff. They have to be crap forever

Why are you bringing Priddis into this discussion? That's just weird. You know he's retired right?

Do it, Cogs. Do it.
This is the werirdest post. Why are you getting competitive about this? I mean, you make good points but it seems like the only reason that you're making them is in response to me saying that Hawthorn would be an appealing destination.

Aside from the good points - you also make some weird points. 'Current brownlow favourite' expressed a desire to join. There is so much 'maybe' about that situation. I mean, I prefer facts. Tim Kelly has NOT won a Brownlow and does NOT play for West Coast.
I remember when North tried that - bringing in two big fish in the same off season and using them as incentives for each other to stay. They ended up with neither. Actually, the only time I can think of a team bringing in two genuine big fish in the same season was Hawthorn when O'Meara and Mitchell came across. It really is just such a rare thing. So if you're going to stack the appealing argument destination with things that haven't happened then you should factor in the probability of all those things happening together.

I mean, do you really think West Coast can land Kelly and Coniglio in the same off season? Because that's what it sounds like you're getting at.

Do it, Cogs. Do it.
West coast would be a great option for him but I think if he were going to WA hawthorn would unlikely be as active. Don’t get me wrong, we prepare for all contingencies but there is a lot of chatter that has been around for more than a year now that indicates he wants to come to Melbourne.

Okay, so whether you think Tom Mitchell is the best player in the league, or just the best player of 2018 - it must be appealing as a topline mid to know that you'll be arriving at a club at the same time that a guy like that is returning to the side.

Compared to going to a struggling club where you're signing up to carry the whole midfield on your shoulders. I mean, everyone saw what happened to Judd. Buddy has tried to carry the swans for 6 years.

If Coniglio leaves it has to be taken into account that he is leaving a star studded line up that has underperformed. He doesn't want to go to a club with less star power around where he has to take on more responsibility with less chance for success.

I mean, if he came to the hawks, he would be working next to a brownlow medallist, with a brownlow medallist midfield coach under a senior coach with 4 premierships. That's a hell of a great environment to be landing into.
There’s a bloke who runs around in the guts for Carlton who could probably give him a chop out here or there too so not sure Mitchell is a tipping point in your favour.
But really as many others have said who knows where he ends up, fun to speculate though

You mean like this quote?

Which seems to be a lot more talking in absolutes than my post.
Well it's a thread about Coniglio, not about hawthorn's plight in 2019 it's not really the place to go into expansive detail on what quantity of impact Mitchells' loss has had. His loss has significantly contributed to our plummet in 2019 like I said.

But to clarify - how can something be more or less absolute? What a ridiculous thing to say. It's either absolute or it isn't. That's what absolute means. If you're going to try and smugpost, you gotta leave out the dumb stuff.

You tried to frame my post as an absolute one - which it wasn't - and now you're shooting it down for being "more absolute than yours" which is another argument I wasn't making. Keep swinging if you want, but this thread will work better if you stay on topic.

Where ever he goes he will be on very good coin and there will be clubs that wont be able to match other clubs...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would be great at Richmond. Probably not going to be able to afford him, but if I was a player who wanted the best chance of success in Melbourne, Richmond is where I would probably go. I doubt they are going anywhere anytime soon.

Why not Geelong?

I've long thought Geelong would be a good fit for Cogs. Quiet 'sleepy' town away from the hustle and bustle but still close enough to Melbourne. Doing alright at the moment, but I could see him having the same concerns about Geelong as he may have about Hawthorn, that success wouldn't be as close, given the closing 'window' for some of our stars. Plus, we're too focused on T. Kelly to give Cogs any serious indication that we're a likely prospect.

With that said, I think most are in agreement that if he doesn't go to their club, that it's better for the competition as a whole if he stays at GWS.

Why not Geelong?

Geelong aren’t great at attracting big name players, Dangerfield being the exception for obvious reasons. They seem to have a cap on how much they are willing to offer a player, so there is a team who can always outbid them. That’s mostly why, just the history.

I would love to be wrong though!

Geelong aren’t great at attracting big name players, Dangerfield being the exception for obvious reasons. They seem to have a cap on how much they are willing to offer a player, so there is a team who can always outbid them. That’s mostly why, just the history.

I would love to be wrong though!

Reckon Geelong's geography plays a part, also.

With not alot to kick to forward and not much better defending at the other end.

But a Brownlow medalist with one good leg will make all the difference.:think:

With not alot to kick to forward and not much better defending at the other end.

But a Brownlow medalist with one good leg will make all the difference.:think:
No you see he is taking the year out of the game to heal so it will be two good legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back