Recommitted Stephen Coniglio [re-signs with GWS for 7 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello all,

The mod team has decided to start a new Coniglio thread. There will be no tolerance for sniping/trolling/attacks on other clubs etc.
There is to be NO quoting of posts from the old thread for petty point scoring.

Keep posting on topic. Thank you.

Carlton are on the up with a bunch of top youngsters about to hit the beginning of their prime. Neale saw that trend in Brisbane last year and chose to join it, I think Cogs will too. Particularly as Carlton are reported to be offering the biggest contract.
I agree.

Carlton are on the up with a bunch of top youngsters about to hit the beginning of their prime. Neale saw that trend in Brisbane last year and chose to join it, I think Cogs will too. Particularly as Carlton are reported to be offering the biggest contract.
Great post. The thought of a Cripps-Cogs duo is so exciting!

Certainly an argument for it.

Under Teague we are 6-4, with 2 losses by under a goal and the other 2 by 4 goals to premiership favourites West Coast & Richmond...he sure has turned it around quickly. What could he do with a pre-season?

But i can also make strong cases for him to stay at GWS or go to Hawthorn so...

Looking at the Hawthorn list more closely, I think that the idea that they are completely washed up and on the way down is not entirely true.

Yes they have many old players and have traded away the majority of their draft picks, but the guys they have gotten in are not exactly old. In fact, they are still smack bang in their prime.

Can see Hawks still being a contender if everyone is fit, as due to the lack of young talent coming in I think what it'll hurt the most is their depth.

I am not an ITK but believe it is still anyone's game.

Looking at the Hawthorn list more closely, I think that the idea that they are completely washed up and on the way down is not entirely true.

Yes they have many old players and have traded away the majority of their draft picks, but the guys they have gotten in are not exactly old. In fact, they are still smack bang in their prime.

Can see Hawks still being a contender if everyone is fit, as due to the lack of young talent coming in I think what it'll hurt the most is their depth.

I am not an ITK but believe it is still anyone's game.
I think this is what gets missed a lot and something i think is pretty important in this discussion. Coniglio is 25 turning 26 which would have him fitting in perfectly with the primes of Jaeger, Tom, Chad, Sicily, Impey, Scully, Breust, etc. We may not be set up for a decade at the top like we were heading in to the late 2000's but if we can put together a list that can peak at the same time we can hopefully contend and win a flag or two.

It's a risky strategy but one i think that was worth exploring for us and i am actually more confident it can work now than i was 2 years ago.

I think this is what gets missed a lot and something i think is pretty important in this discussion. Coniglio is 25 turning 26 which would have him fitting in perfectly with the primes of Jaeger, Tom, Chad, Sicily, Impey, Scully, Breust, etc. We may not be set up for a decade at the top like we were heading in to the late 2000's but if we can put together a list that can peak at the same time we can hopefully contend and win a flag or two.

It's a risky strategy but one i think that was worth exploring for us and i am actually more confident it can work now than i was 2 years ago.
I think Clarko and Co. probably identified a market inefficiency. Teams keep overvaluing draft picks...so it's better value to go and get mature players using picks.

Impressive and it'll be interesting how long until people catch on.

I think it is going to be a fascinating period of not much happening over the next week or two. Would say that most of us are hoping for GWS to drop out of finals early so that we can move on from this uncertainty.
My ladder+finals predictor has GWS facing Bulldogs in a 6 v 7 elimination final in Week 1.

You'd think given their recent form, the Dogs will absolute obliterate the hapless giants.

My ladder+finals predictor has GWS facing Bulldogs in a 6 v 7 elimination final in Week 1.

You'd think given their recent form, the Dogs will absolute obliterate the hapless giants.

Giants are done they'll be out week 1 and with 4 seasons of having one of the best lists Leon Cameron's record will read PF, PF, SF, EL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard not to feel a bit pi**ed off as a Hawthorn supporter hearing rumours the AFL are actively trying to stop Coniglio getting to Hawthorn in comparison to the way they meddled behind the scenes when they thought Buddy was going as a free agent to GWS

Where are these rumours coming from?

Hawthorn people are the only ones I hear saying this.

Meanwhile Carlton fans are also claiming the same thing but replace Hawthorn with Carlton.

Gil says he wants Cogs to stay a one team player and gets blasted. Clarko says the same thing (and adds if he does leave he wants them to come to Hawthorn) and is praised.

Personally I think Cogs ends up at Hawthorn but to think the AFL are actively working against Hawthorn is tinfoil hat territory.

Meanwhile Carlton fans are also claiming the same thing but replace Hawthorn with Carlton.
Soo ... Hawthorn people aren't the only ones you hear saying this.

Gil says he wants Cogs to stay a one team player and gets blasted. Clarko says the same thing (and adds if he does leave he wants them to come to Hawthorn) and is praised.

Personally I think Cogs ends up at Hawthorn but to think the AFL are actively working against Hawthorn is tinfoil hat territory.

And so he should, it's not the CEO's position to weigh in on potential free agency moves.

Hello all,

The mod team has decided to start a new Coniglio thread. There will be no tolerance for sniping/trolling/attacks on other clubs etc.
There is to be NO quoting of posts from the old thread for petty point scoring.

Keep posting on topic. Thank you.

Bunny-Steals-Cookie-From-Baby.gif

Most likely, although for the first time this year we will have just about everyone on deck. Ins from our last game against the dogs will be:

Cameron
Hopper
Coniglio
Finlayson
Deledio
Taylor

Most likely, although for the first time this year we will have just about everyone on deck. Ins from our last game against the dogs will be:

Cameron
Hopper
Coniglio
Finlayson
Deledio
Taylor
Until Cameron does a hammie in the first term, Hopper goes off with concussion in the second term, Deledio tweaks his Calf running off for half time and Taylor gets mauled by an escaped Dreamworld Tiger halfway through the third.

Just on the bolded bit - I don't think that's quite the suggestion. More that the AFL are trying to prop up (thus, "favour" or "advantage") one of the newer clubs, which leads to an unbalanced playing field.

My personal take on what Gil said is what most footy fans think - we love the idea of a one club player ... unless the player is moving to our team. I think he was answering the question as a footy fan, which as the league boss probably wasn't prudent. If he'd answered along the lines of:
"as CEO of the AFL, Stephen is free to play wherever he likes, and either stay at GWS or move clubs under the systems in place. I'd be happy either way, as it means the system is working. My personal opinion as a footy fan, I love the idea of one-club players as much as the next guy, but respect sometimes people need to move workplaces."
I don't think there would be as much uproar. And if he did answer that way, and the media have since taken his quotes out of context and we've been suckered into it, shame on us.

Until Cameron does a hammie in the first term, Hopper goes off with concussion in the second term, Deledio tweaks his Calf running off for half time and Taylor gets mauled by an escaped Dreamworld Tiger halfway through the third.
I started to laugh at the joke and then realised if this was an option at the bookies it would be almost unbackable odds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back