Toast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Great memories of his time with ball in hand, a shame those watching the last few years never got to see his value.

There is one massive reason to get along to the derby this weekend...

To say goodbye to this friggin legend!

Ive been feeling pretty crappy about footy. When will we ever be even slightly better than bleh? And was definitely not going to go to the derby. Couldn’t stand the thought of being surrounded by a bunch of weagle fans right now… I’m not a banter person. It’s not easy living in perth…. but I’ll try to get there to say bye to SHill. Though… is it even possible for a non-member to get tickets?? Is it even confirmed when the game is???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Golden Child. I remember watching him in the semi final at West Perth when it was rumoured we were looking at him in 2008.
He just seemed to will himself to contests late in the game when it was on the line. Just pure heart from a 17/18 yo.
After we drafted him I went to every training I could and the scratch match that year just to watch him run.
One of the purest, most graceful athletes I've ever seen.
I'm actually close to crying.

Hilly should be proud of his career. 218 games of AFL is no mean feat yet at the same time feels 100 short considering he reached 150 games when he was just 25 and was on par with the Pav at the same age.

I remember there was a stat on the couch in 2014 or 2015 and gerard healy said whenever hilly got 24 or more possesions we were close to unbeatable. So I looked it up today to see what it was. And we were 33 wins and 5 losses from his debut to the prelim against hawthorn in 2015 when he got 24 or more disposals which reinforces what a barometer he was during our golden period 2010-2015

So incredibly underrated in his prime, was the best wing in the comp in those 2013ish years. You know someone’s had a good career when only getting to 218 games has been short. Pleasure to watch, and we’re forever in his debt for providing one of the greatest moments of Freo history.

Such a shame... Would love him to have gotten a few more.

With all due respect to Young, I still think Hilly was the best kick inside 50 the club... nay the entire league, has ever seen. Some of his kicks went beyond surgical with their precision. If you were in the forward 50, and had a bleeding cut on your forehead, Hilly could have stitched it for you by kicking the needle and thread in your direction from the edge of the centre square.

Hail and farewell Stephen - it was an absolute blast, and Dear God we're going to miss you. Good luck in all your future endeavours.

PS: Please have kids - dozens of them, either gender. The club will pick up the tab for their kicking boots and uniforms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back