Stephen Silvagni and Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Just give him a tight leash, giving him unlimited power like we seemingly have isn’t a good idea.

In saying that we have got a decent crop with our top 30 picks since he’s been around.

Just outlaw him dealing with GWS and ignore when he thinks he’s got this bargain former high pick who hasn’t been able to walk for 2 years.

I loved the guy as a player, supported the blues b4 freo came into the afl. but no, no way could i handle it. I hate rtb with a passion already and if he gets a job for his mate then im done.

Maybe its a sign for me to go back to the blues. wouldnt be the worst decision ive made.

Therein lies the problem.

No-one poo-pooed the deal at the the time but now with the value of hindsight, they are all experts.

Anyone who did think it was a crap deal at the time and called it out is entitled to come out swinging.

No honestly, the trade was widely criticised at the time

There is another trade that also looks idiotic.

GWS gave pick 28 and Carlton's 2019 second round pick (pick 19) to Adelaide for pick 24 and Adelaide's fifth rounder in 2019.

The fifth rounder is worth nothing, so they basically GWS gave pick 28 and 19 for pick 24.

Adelaide very correctly banking on Carlton remaining at the bottom this year via two trades.

How on earth could this trade ever have worked out well for GWS??

There is another trade that also looks idiotic.

GWS gave pick 28 and Carlton's 2019 second round pick (pick 19) to Adelaide for pick 24 and Adelaide's fifth rounder in 2019.

The fifth rounder is worth nothing, so they basically GWS gave pick 28 and 19 for pick 24.

Adelaide very correctly banking on Carlton remaining at the bottom this year via two trades.

How on earth could this trade ever have worked out well for GWS??

Because outside the top 2/3, last years draft crop is MUCH better than this years.

So if carlton win this week in all probability they jump to 16th meaning that as it stands the crows would get pick 3 ( losing the equivalent of 766 points from where they were last week.
I suspect that the time is fast approaching that a fair few pieces of the puzzle are going to click at Carlton. There is some real depth in the reserves with goddard, cottrell, owies starting to look like lower picks that could make it along with gibbons. Murphy, stocker and jones ready to come back into the seniors so there is at last competition for spots.
Dont worry about the blues. We are going to be o.k. We have 62,000 members, for the first time in a long time are financially very strong and have the basis of a very good list (we probably still need a back up for kreuze, a gun small forward and a lock down small defender - none of which need a high draft pick) that will pretty much all mature together.
Get your cheap shots in now because time is running out.

So if carlton win this week in all probability they jump to 16th meaning that as it stands the crows would get pick 3 ( losing the equivalent of 766 points from where they were last week.
I suspect that the time is fast approaching that a fair few pieces of the puzzle are going to click at Carlton. There is some real depth in the reserves with goddard, cottrell, owies starting to look like lower picks that could make it along with gibbons. Murphy, stocker and jones ready to come back into the seniors so there is at last competition for spots.
Dont worry about the blues. We are going to be o.k. We have 62,000 members, for the first time in a long time are financially very strong and have the basis of a very good list (we probably still need a back up for kreuze, a gun small forward and a lock down small defender - none of which need a high draft pick) that will pretty much all mature together.
Get your cheap shots in now because time is running out.

Buddy draft Points are cute but do tell me who atm would swap walsh for hately? That's the difference, quailty over draft Points.

And this depth you speak of. Goddard was axed from a team that finished near bottom.
Cottrell got over looked in the draft.
Le bioes? Wrong spelling but a total nothing player. 3 year special..

So SOS will be gone at seasons end.

But but salary dump! We payed nothing! Walsh!

A good list manager can have a 20 year career. Sadly for my sake looks like Carlton have realised what a mess he has made.

Compare Hine to him and it’s laughable.
Plowman had another good game so this comment doesn't make sense.

Buddy draft Points are cute but do tell me who atm would swap walsh for hately? That's the difference, quailty over draft Points.

And this depth you speak of. Goddard was axed from a team that finished near bottom.
Cottrell got over looked in the draft.
Le bioes? Wrong spelling but a total nothing player. 3 year special..
Not sure that I have ever met you so doubt that i am your buddy but can i just say that i am very happy with liam stocker who looks a real player with a bit of toughness about him.
But the crux of my post is that a lot of blues fans including me are very happy with where our club is at both off the field and with our list. A lot of the media who can see further than next week also see huge upside. Maybe it's a false dawn. Time will tell.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a Carlton supporter who wasn’t disappointed in him.
If they were disappointed, another outcome of the salary dump was the aquisition of Harry McKay who is a great prospect. Even you'd agree with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

while we're nitpicking failed punts on injury prone players, i wonder if daniel menzel will play more games for the swans than pickett did for carlton?
Menzel is a free hit for us, arrived for free and only on a bag of crisps salary. I seem to remember you gave up a decent pick for Pickett but please refresh my memory.

Menzel is a free hit for us, arrived for free and only on a bag of crisps salary. I seem to remember you gave up a decent pick for Pickett but please refresh my memory.
I think we traded out Touhy + 2nd rounder to Geelongs future 1st rounder + 4th rounder + Smedts. We on traded the future first + pick 45 + pick 58 for Marchbank and Pickett.

Touhy has been sensational for Geelong, whilst Marchbank is starting to come on for us and will be very good for us in the long run. Smedts and Pickett unfortunately busts.

I think we traded out Touhy + 2nd rounder to Geelongs future 1st rounder + 4th rounder + Smedts. We on traded the future first + pick 45 + pick 58 for Marchbank and Pickett.

Touhy has been sensational for Geelong, whilst Marchbank is starting to come on for us and will be very good for us in the long run. Smedts and Pickett unfortunately busts.

Marchbank + Pickett + a second I believe we received.

We on traded that to the hawks in that strange Omera deal.

pickett was the steak knives in the marchbank deal. worth taking a punt on but could never get his body right and even when he did bolton played him out of position.

1560230778339.png

1560231303183.png Complicated trade.

Carlton gave up.
Zac Touhy (to Geelong) + Pick 45 (Lachlan Tiziani) + pick 58 (Matt De Boer)

for

Caleb Marchbank + Jarrod Pickett + Pick 48 (Harrison McCreadie) + Pick 66 (Tom Williamson) + Pick 70 (Patrick Kerr)

Pickett was a nothing trade that cost carlton scraps and was always a long shot to make it and didnt

From the GWS trades i think its only Kennedy & Setterfield that cost a reasonable amount that are still at the club

Correct me if im wrong but which players remain at Carlton is it only the 4 in Kennedy,Setterfield,Plowman,Marchbank ?

Pickett was a nothing trade that cost carlton scraps and was always a long shot to make it and didnt

From the GWS trades i think its only Kennedy & Setterfield that cost a reasonable amount that are still at the club

Correct me if im wrong but which players remain at Carlton is it only the 4 in Kennedy,Setterfield,Plowman,Marchbank ?
Phillips*

But those four mentioned were specifically targetted, the others were a gamble that didn't pay off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back