Stephen Silvagni and Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep a great way to build the culture of a club. Bring in the offcuts who even as depth add nothing to the club other than mediocrity.
we asked fyfe and dusty to come but apparently they were contracted to other clubs or something

Jarrod Pickett just announced leaving Carlton. Former GWS no.4 pick acquired by SOS and yet another ex GWS failure at Carlton.
Pickett has talent. SOS can’t foresee Pickett’s injuries that have been to much for him both physically or mentally.
Shallow, cheap and pathetic on your behalf.

Marchbank cost a bit and he’s a turnover merchant by foot. Plowman is a liability when the ball hits the deck but didn’t cost much. McGovern averages a goal a game but not much worse but only cost 2 second rounders. Who else is there?
Can you please provide the stats for Marchbank? I can only see 75% disposal efficiency for his career which is pretty good. But I’m curious about your statement.

Yeah and who initially drafted those players that are good enough for your mob?
That question is directed at the obvious SOS haters.
They were very high draft picks. They picked themselves. The amount of concessions given to GWS made it extremely difficult to miss. SOS could have drafted Hoskin Elliott to Carlton. He was after all playing VFL and was pick 4 in the draft. SOS obviously didn’t rate him that highly when at Carlton. A 40 goal forward would have been exactly what you needed.

But the Pies went for 3 specific players they needed from GWS and each has performed very well. I’m not so sure SOS has specifically recruited with the same purpose or if he has, has completely misread the potential of a lot of those players.

Its amazing the other 17 clubs all with a better record over the last few years than Carlton didn’t bother with these GWS blokes.

But I mean everyone else doesn’t understand!
so other clubs never picked up Curtly Hampton, Jonathan O'Rourke, Paul Ahern, Tim Mohr, James Stewart, Thomas Bugg, Jacob Townsend, Jack Hombsch, Jonathan Giles, Anthony Miles, Sam Frost to build some list depth?

They were very high draft picks. They picked themselves. The amount of concessions given to GWS made it extremely difficult to miss. SOS could have drafted Hoskin Elliott to Carlton. He was after all playing VFL and was pick 4 in the draft. SOS obviously didn’t rate him that highly when at Carlton. A 40 goal forward would have been exactly what you needed.

But the Pies went for 3 specific players they needed from GWS and each has performed very well. I’m not so sure SOS has specifically recruited with the same purpose or if he has, has completely misread the potential of a lot of those players.
Collingwood may have offered more money...it could have been as simple as that.

Heres the thing. blues fans seem to be waiting on a lot of guys to 'breakout'. cunningham, weitering, marchbank, sps, fisher, tdk, macreadie, williamson, setterfield, kennedy, lang, lebois etc, thats a lot of faith and prayer needed. just not enough runs on the board. At this stage ull be laughing to the bank if just 3 of them turn out above average.

No. Carlton was never in the conversation. I think you were too busy working on Smedts or Pickett.
Like I said, it could have been something as simple as money...or the machinations of the trade between the two teams not gelling.
It is what it is...and like I said earlier SOS drafted those players to GWS initially and they’re clearly good enough to play in your best 22...so SOS isn’t that bad right?

so other clubs never picked up Curtly Hampton, Jonathan O'Rourke, Paul Ahern, Tim Mohr, James Stewart, Thomas Bugg, Jacob Townsend, Jack Hombsch, Jonathan Giles, Anthony Miles, Sam Frost to build some list depth?
Yep 17 other clubs between them picked up less duds in total than Carlton did. Townsend is a premiership player btw and miles still valuable on gold coasts list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said, it could have been something as simple as money...or the machinations of the trade between the two teams not gelling.
It is what it is...and like I said earlier SOS drafted those players to GWS initially and they’re clearly good enough to play in your best 22...so SOS isn’t that bad right?
Correct. He's great. Please keep him. You'd be mad to get rid of this guy.

He had a machine gun firing at a dart board. It would be shocking if he didn’t at least land a few around the bullseye.

No-one else has had that opportunity in the history of the VFL/AFL.

No. Carlton was never in the conversation. I think you were too busy working on Smedts or Pickett.
Carlton were building through the draft and not willing to give up valuable picks and future picks. Whether this is the right or wrong call is debatable but the club was adamant that the right way to build is through the draft from the beginning. I'm happy with what the club gave up for what they got in return.

Carlton were building through the draft and not willing to give up valuable picks and future picks. Whether this is the right or wrong call is debatable but the club was adamant that the right way to build is through the draft from the beginning. I'm happy with what the club gave up for what they got in return.
A Sosage?

Yep 17 other clubs between them picked up less duds in total than Carlton did. Townsend is a premiership player btw and miles still valuable on gold coasts list
You still just don't get it, so i'll keep explaining it. A club that is 5 years away from contending has a rare opportunity to fill a hole in the list with a stop gap for 1 year and then replaced with high end draft picks the following trade period. In return for alleviating salary pressure, aformentioned club recieved a 20 year old former pick 3 and pick 8. This is good for a rebuilding club that is lowering their age profile.

A contending club has all the pieces in place and does not need to lower their age profile, in fact, its they need the opposite.

For example if you were a club like North Melbourne, who have a high age profile and need to start a rebuild. (I think its fair to say they are a few years off.)
If they did a deal with Carlton (who hypothetically need to alleviate some salary cap pressure) where they took on Casboult, Jones, Lang and E.Curnow on 1 year contracts, in return we gave them Patrick Dow and pick 8 (Like Carlton & GWS). They would do it because they need to reset their age profile and rebuild. They can replace those contracts with draft picks and carry on the rebuild process with a head start at the end of the year.

For a club like Collingwood, they don't have the list space or the time to do this deal, it doesn't make sense to do it. Hopefully this clears it up for you. Theres more ways to explain it so i'll just keep going until you get it.

You still just don't get it, so i'll keep explaining it. A club that is 5 years away from contending has a rare opportunity to fill a hole in the list with a stop gap for 1 year and then replaced with high end draft picks the following trade period. In return for alleviating salary pressure, aformentioned club recieved a 20 year old former pick 3 and pick 8. This is good for a rebuilding club that is lowering their age profile.

A contending club has all the pieces in place and does not need to lower their age profile, in fact, its they need the opposite.

For example if you were a club like North Melbourne, who have a high age profile and need to start a rebuild. (I think its fair to say they are a few years off.)
If they did a deal with Carlton (who hypothetically need to alleviate some salary cap pressure) where they took on Casboult, Jones, Lang and E.Curnow on 1 year contracts, in return we gave them Patrick Dow and pick 8 (Like Carlton & GWS). They would do it because they need to reset their age profile and rebuild. They can replace those contracts with draft picks and carry on the rebuild process with a head start at the end of the year.

For a club like Collingwood, they don't have the list space or the time to do this deal, it doesn't make sense to do it. Hopefully this clears it up for you. Theres more ways to explain it so i'll just keep going until you get it.
Dunno why you bother...this guys hatred for SOS/Carlton runs deep as seen through multiple threads based on Carlton and he’ll continue to live in denial despite your efforts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back