Should Carlton receive a priority pick?

• Yes

Votes: 70 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 296 80.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They've been great this year as much as it pains me to say it. However they're probably a couple of years development behind the likes of the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda and obviously GWS.

Its a team built around players picked up from the Giants. When they were going nowhere, they decided to pilfer players from other teams. SOS should be put up before a firing squad. Dirty prick from the Elliott era.

Also, the Suns players were piss weak last night, I would have smashed those Blues players trying to upset son of GOD. Especially Daisy Thomas and Bryce Gibbs, they are not tough guys.

Poor assessment. The team is built around an existing core of senior players and new draftees. A few GWS lads are the icing mate, not the cake. Your complaints about pilfering players from other clubs is mystifying when one considers you support Collingwood - Treloar, Adams, WHE, Aish, Wells, Mayne, Crisp, Greenwood, Varcoe, White, Dunn, Howe ... I mean surely you're taking the piss here.

Well said Monkey King :thumbsu:

They've been great this year as much as it pains me to say it. However they're probably a couple of years development behind the likes of the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda and obviously GWS.

And yet we are matching and beating these sides already. I think that's the most encouraging thing.

Not sure what our current young crop will translate to in 3-5 years time but for now it's hard not to be excited. At the same time I'm all for flying under the radar.

And yet we are matching and beating these sides already. I think that's the most encouraging thing.

Not sure what our current young crop will translate to in 3-5 years time but for now it's hard not to be excited. At the same time I'm all for flying under the radar.

Glaring weakness in the current side is the forward line, we can't put sides away when we are on top, meaning it can get pretty exhausting for our players.

If we manage to get that sorted out sooner rather than later we probably aren't far off the top 8. Until then though bottom 6.

Longer term as has been stated we need to bolster the midfield, a lot of what we need up forward is probably already on the list, just needs time to develop.

We have been massively helped by career best or close to career best seasons from simmo, doc, Kreuze, Gibbs and Murphy

Also, the Suns players were piss weak last night, I would have smashed those Blues players trying to upset son of GOD. Especially Daisy Thomas and Bryce Gibbs, they are not tough guys.

a0d66e6e61efd470c6ccd14e444be030b1fd356f0e2b33ed2ef9bbe224263506.jpg

Excellent recruiting by Carlton since the horror draft of 2014. Their defence is very solid. Pretty impressive. As far as a rebuild goes, their defence is just about finished as far as best 22 goes.

They can start building up their midfield through the next couple of drafts/trade periods and they'll be on their way.

Fogarty, Cripps and SPS would've been an insane midfield trio, but it doesn't look like they'll win the spoon now. Probably aim for another KPF this draft.

I think Carlton would certainly make a huge play for Josh Kelly or Dylan Shiel.

Excellent recruiting by Carlton since the horror draft of 2014. Their defence is very solid. Pretty impressive. As far as a rebuild goes, their defence is just about finished as far as best 22 goes.

They can start building up their midfield through the next couple of drafts/trade periods and they'll be on their way.

Fogarty, Cripps and SPS would've been an insane midfield trio, but it doesn't look like they'll win the spoon now. Probably aim for another KPF this draft.

I'm not keen on the idea of 2 first rounders being given up for either of those. Maybe if they threw hopper in as well....

Do they need Kelly? I mean, no one would say no to him but it seems like for Carlton at least they have a promising midfield already and he may not be worth the money or picks it would take to get him.

Do they need Kelly? I mean, no one would say no to him but it seems like for Carlton at least they have a promising midfield already and he may not be worth the money or picks it would take to get him.
It's probably not worth it for a side like Carlton if GWS ask for overs, but Kelly is still only in his early 20s, with Gibbs and Murphy heading towards the end of their careers. They'd at least have a look at him.

When did you guys ever have to pay overs for any GWS player? ;)

(2 firsts is definitely not overs for Kelly by the way)

If they throw in some salary dumps like a lamb, Palmer or sumner we could get it done for less possibly.

Kelly is a super player, but I wouldn't want to blow our high picks in the next 2 drafts on him, they would have to throw in steak knives ( or we do it for less with some salary dumps to us, like Buntine perhaps?)

If they throw in some salary dumps like a lamb, Palmer or sumner we could get it done for less possibly.

Kelly is a super player, but I wouldn't want to blow our high picks in the next 2 drafts on him, they would have to throw in steak knives ( or we do it for less with some salary dumps to us, like Buntine perhaps?)
But will your picks be that high next year with Kelly in your team (and another KPF)?

Carlton are only 1 win outside of the 8 at the moment. Say they finish 13th-14th, that's pick 5-6.

We'll see how Carlton fares for the rest of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But will your picks be that high next year with Kelly in your team (and another KPF)?

Carlton are only 1 win outside of the 8 at the moment. Say they finish 13th-14th, that's pick 5-6.

We'll see how Carlton fares for the rest of the year

Even with Kelly next season, we likely still have no forward line so couldn't see us higher than 11th/12th. We have also been fortunate with no injuries to key players this season, if any 2-3 of our top 6 go down we could easily be Brisbane level.

So most likely it's 2 picks in the top 7-8 being given up

Harry McKay is the genuine KP Forward. Has kicked 14 in 6 vfl games after missing the entirety of 2016 (his draft year) with stress fractures in the back. Will be playing afl football in late 2017 and a regular spot for 2018. He's probably in the Daniher mould but a more superior kick (despite the 1.5 he kicked yesterday in vfl). He doesn't get outmarked he brings the small forwards into the game regularly. He's probably 2-3 years away from being at the level required to scare afl defenders but it will come. There isn't a kid at vfl level that's close to doing what he's doing at 19.
McKay will be better than Daniher?

Might as well start giving him a taste of seniors then, what else is holding him back?

In my view that's way too speculative. At the moment McKay could end up anywhere from Vickery to Daniher level
I haven't seen any of him but do remember he was rated highly in his draft year.

If he does play the way Daniher does you'll have a real gun on your hands and pretty much a complete spine.

It's funny what a couple of good drafts and a good coach does to a club, here's hoping we are facing off at the top end again sooner rather than later.

Might as well start giving him a taste of seniors then, what else is holding him back?

I didn't read it that way. I read it as similar mold ie 200cm athletic left footer who is comfortable up the ground. That being said it should probably read superior kick for goal as from what I've seen Mckay's field kicking isn't near Daniher's

Transitioning the centre square from Murphy/Gibbs will be the key from Carlton. If they can land a couple of dangerous centre square players in the next few years, they'll have a pretty exciting core to build from over the next 5 years.

I wouldn't say it's guaranteed but if the upward trend continues like it is at the moment it could very well be. He's still raw and building a tank forvrepeat efforts. He gets 1-2 great quarters generally first and last but needs consistent output at this level before bolts is going to give him a chance. He travelled with the team to GC and flew home the morning of the vfl but still had 7 attempts (two didn't make the distance) at goal against probably the best backline at bfl level (Werribee). His shooting performance was not what we've normally seen but he had more marks and shots at goal than previously. I reckon he's every chance to come in in the next 1-2 weeks. Probably v western Bulldogs backline.

Transitioning the centre square from Murphy/Gibbs will be the key from Carlton. If they can land a couple of dangerous centre square players in the next few years, they'll have a pretty exciting core to build from over the next 5 years.
Hopper and a first round this year could help (LDU would be amazing). Ben silvagni in 2018 and a possibility of 2 hickmott brothers (2017 and 2018).

We're 4th last, only conversation we're in now is in the "not finishing last" and "teams rebuilding at present" conversations.

We're in the "Liam Jones is your Overlord" conversation but the club is more a side note to Jones omnipotent presence within the universe.
Can you confirm that you'll be rebranding as the Liam Jones Football Club?

I think the catch with the Blues is how long can it last. Murphy is 30, Gibbs 29, Simpson 33, Kreuzer is fit for the first time in years. Through the guts it's those guys doing the heavy lifting (plus Cripps).

They also have a fairly major scoring problem. They cracked 100 points twice last year and have yet to this year. Yes, they are staying in games brilliantly, but until they can crack sides open they aren't a finals threat.

Honestly, it's a lot like Melbourne 2015. Except more talented.

This is it. Melbourne are still only challenging now for the top 8, and aren't even certainties. And we're comparable to you guys 3 years ago, so we're a long way off.

We should be right to replace Murphy and Gibbs (mainly through the development of guys like SPS who should become a gun mid), Kreuzer is the big one - our back-up options are Phillips and Gorringe. Scary thought.

Importantly though, is we are addressing our forward issues for the future. A lot of work put into Curnow, McKay and Silvagni. Wright is a good stopgap, but we need to address the small forward issue next, thankfully history shows you can do that late in the draft/with rookie picks.

Back