• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Blue Heart

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Rockliff was one of our priorities. But it's hard to obtain someone at his age who has been starved of success.

He was always going to pick Port over us. That's the flaw of free agency.

That's exactly right. Players of the ilk of Rockcliff, Smith, Asad et al aren't going to choose a team like who could be bottom 4 for the next 2 or 3 yrs. or even longer. They are nearly always going to go to a team that is a flag or a finals contender or at least a competitive unit.

The introduction of Free Agency was supposed to be an opportunity for the bottom teams to turn their fortunes around and move up the ladder quickly ... but in Carlton's case I can't see FA as being any kind of advantage at all.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
That's exactly right. Players of the ilk of Rockcliff, Smith, Asad et al aren't going to choose a team like who could be bottom 4 for the next 2 or 3 yrs. or even longer. They are nearly always going to go to a team that is a flag or a finals contender or at least a competitive unit.

The introduction of Free Agency was supposed to be an opportunity for the bottom teams to turn their fortunes around and move up the ladder quickly ... but in Carlton's case I can't see FA as being any kind of advantage at all.

Free Agency weeds out the players willing to push hard for success from those who are just after the pay check, it is the exact opposite of equalisation because the hungry harder working players will sign for less and go to the top clubs while the bottom dwellers are forced to play overs for someone who at the end of the day isn't that determined to win.

The only way it benefits bottom clubs is if they are shown to be making massive progress and can somehow attract one of those hungry players who believe you are on the right path.

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Free Agency weeds out the players willing to push hard for success from those who are just after the pay check, it is the exact opposite of equalisation because the hungry harder working players will sign for less and go to the top clubs while the bottom dwellers are forced to play overs for someone who at the end of the day isn't that determined to win.

The only way it benefits bottom clubs is if they are shown to be making massive progress and can somehow attract one of those hungry players who believe you are on the right path.

Not only that. Those that have tasted some success can be willing to move not just for the money, but for their own convenience. They walk into a club like Carlton thinking that they have done enough and are just lounging around for the bonus.

That's why I'm happy our club didn't chase anybody like Luke Hodge (who didn't go through FA but just called time on his career at Hawthorn). I can't help but feel he is at the stage now where he is nothing but just a leader. His mentality now could probably be that he has achieved his potential and that there is no point going any harder at it.

I want my club to attract players with an urge to think about the team and play their part to the best of their ability. There is no point chasing for has-beens and wise men. I want talented players with both the satisfactory skill and effort. Given where Carlton sits now, the best place to find those whether we like it or not is the draft.

HalloweenJack

All Australian
Mar 19, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth Arsenal New York Yankees
That's why I'm happy our club didn't chase anybody like Luke Hodge (who didn't go through FA but just called time on his career at Hawthorn). I can't help but feel he is at the stage now where he is nothing but just a leader. His mentality now could probably be that he has achieved his potential and that there is no point going any harder at it.
Luke Hodge has nothing to prove but he has been sensational for the Lions. A really poor example NavyBlue.

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Luke Hodge has nothing to prove but he has been sensational for the Lions. A really poor example NavyBlue.

Not a poor example at all. It's not about proving anything. It's about simply playing the game.

As 'sensational' as he has been, don't you believe there is any chance he can play even better? It's something forever open for interpretation.

Big game this week. Probably the battle for the spoon.

Carlton should win by at least 6 goals if their fans around here are decent judges.

You'll be right champ dont fret this one - Waite's best years of football are ahead of him....

HalloweenJack

All Australian
Mar 19, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth Arsenal New York Yankees
Not a poor example at all. It's not about proving anything. It's about simply playing the game.

As 'sensational' as he has been, don't you believe there is any chance he can play even better? It's something forever open for interpretation.
Hodge has been a great leader for the Lions. There defence looks lost when he is sitting on the pine having a break. We could use that type of leadership.

Hodge is not the player he was but that is not why he was recruited.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You'll be right champ dont fret this one - Waite's best years of football are ahead of him....

A great North man.

DaQwa-bVwAINnxB.jpg:large

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Wow, you are extremely lenient!

since 2015 Carlton have replaced the old players with young ones of the same ability. But they are young so they have more room to improve and it gives them time. Only now are they beginning to look like building the level of ability. We pretty much have the 2015 team but young. Still will have to find replacements for older guys like Murphy and Simpson in coming seasons. It has been a very very long and deep rebuild with a lot of player turnover. There is a limit with how much top line talent you can bring in over time. Especially if the list you are rebuilding is older, lacking talent and had never been up the top.

Took Hardwick 7 years, it'll take Bolton all of that. Like Hardwick, Bolton has years and years of horrid drafting and list management to make up for.

Bolton is playing a style of footy this year that suits a talented side better but exposes deficient players and poorer sides. I don't mind it but perhaps they need to be more conservative at times.

I'm not lenient, I just know where they are at, it's going to be a long rebuild, just need to stay on track.

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hodge has been a great leader for the Lions. There defence looks lost when he is sitting on the pine having a break. We could use that type of leadership.

Hodge is not the player he was but that is not why he was recruited.

See that's the problem here. As of right now, we need determined players, not wise leaders. I wouldn't want someone brought in just to primarily be a 'leader'. I want them to be an equal for many years. I want them to develop alongside the rest of the team and know there is plenty more to come from them.
Besides we had our own sort of leaders in Simpson and Docherty (who we didn't know was going to be lost to us this season). On top of that, many of us are so quick to jump on Cripps' leadership qualities. Hodge was not the type we needed and happy we didn't chase for him. That's not taking anything away from him though. It's a matter of prioritising and Carlton look at filling the bigger holes.

I tend to think of this as a similar situation to that of my brother. He is a Collingwood supporter. After seeing his team win a premiership in 2010, he has ever since informed me his no longer as invested in footy as he used to be, because he has seen his team win the ultimate prize. Imagine that x4, (player or supporter).

I think exactly like my brother. All I want is for my team to see number 17 in my lifetime. That's all I ask for. Nothing more, nothing less.
JSYK, I am a very young supporter who has yet to see his team win a flag, so it is going to hurt someone like me the most when my team is down, especially when they are as far from success as anyone can be right now.

How does this relate back to Hodge? IF he happened to play poorly, I personally tend to think he wouldn't be that fussed about it. That doesn't work well with me. I want players with so much left in the tank to push themselves and have a HUGE impact on lifting us back up to where we want to be. Hodge maybe something Brisbane needs, but not what Carlton needs.

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hahaha, there is alway one that goes off on their own little tangent!!!

Tangent? Haha!

This is a thread in regards to the so-called 'pressure' put on Bolton by the media for taking on a task any other coach would easily struggle with.

You then come by and try to poke holes into someone's perspective without providing your own. Not a good way to showcase your intellect.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tangent? Haha!

This is a thread in regards to the so-called 'pressure' put on Bolton by the media for taking on a task any other coach would easily struggle with.

You then come by and try to poke holes into someone's perspective without providing your own. Not a good way to showcase your intellect.

Keeping digging, you might strike oil soon...

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
There are ways of having a constructive arguement without being a pugnacious little brat!

I simply asked you for your alternative on Bolton's coaching and then you suddenly go off with the whole 'LOL, having a little tangent' thing. Seems like you can't handle a constructive argument when you see one.

And wow, 'pugnacious little brat'. Really going to resort to name calling? You're only proving my point regarding your intellect.

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
No doubt they are behind where they thought they'd be despite attempts to justify otherwise. Another example of why no one should listen to pre-season form. Weitering a disappointment this year.

I think it's a matter of getting ahead of ourselves. After the performance against Richmond, we got a little cocky without really deserving to.

As for Weitering, it astounds me how someone can fall so low. Lasted year he was battered, bruised and beaten around. Don't think I can use the same excuse for this year. The change of role certainly is to blame though, but I also think losing Docherty has affected him a bit as well.

Back