Stephen Silvagni v Alex Rance

Who was better

• Stephen Silvagni

• Alex Rance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of discussion going on the mainboard, for some reason, about SOS v Rance as a player. So I thought I'd throw up a poll to see the results.

Stephen Silvagni
vs

Alex Rance

If Rance played under the rules SOS did; punching in head, general molestation allowed etc. I doubt he'd concede a goal

Rance vastly superior

as for SCarlett, Glass etc. lol
I said isn’t better than glass or Scarlett they are comparably rated for a reason Rance is good but he isn’t legend of the game material

If Rance played under the rules SOS did; punching in head, general molestation allowed etc. I doubt he'd concede a goal

Rance vastly superior

as for SCarlett, Glass etc. lol
If only Rance played against players like Ablett Snr / Dunstall / Lockett / Carey / Lloyd / Richo etc as well who were all in their prime.

This argument is a 2 way street and don't discredit ones ability because of the era they played in and the rules at the time. Silvagni was named the best FB the game has ever seen for a reason with his position at FB in the greatest team of the last 100 years voted by people that have more experience and games played at the top level than this forum will ever have.

Not that i expect any Gen Y types to even know how good he was not to mention he could also go forward and kick 5+ goals on regular occasions.

Silvagni hands down and he also NEVER played as the 3rd man up or the free player type like Rance has done a lot. Rance is no crap player either though but gee he is not even in the same conversation as SOS as a bonafide full back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only Rance played against players like Ablett Snr / Dunstall / Lockett / Carey / Lloyd / Richo etc as well who were all in their prime.

This argument is a 2 way street and don't discredit ones ability because of the era they played in and the rules at the time. Silvagni was named the best FB the game has ever seen for a reason with his position at FB in the greatest team of the last 100 years voted by people that have more experience and games played at the top level than this forum will ever have.

Not that i expect any Gen Y types to even know how good he was not to mention he could also go forward and kick 5+ goals on regular occasions.

Silvagni hands down and he also NEVER played as the 3rd man up or the free player type like Rance has done a lot. Rance is no crap player either though but gee he is not even in the same conversation as SOS as a bonafide full back.

dunstall and plugger were 188, 191

rance has had to play on 2m blokes

they were superstars but if you transplant prime rance into the late 80s/early 90s i reckon hed give those blokes a bath

rance literally saved the tigers 100s of goals, they were a bad team with him in the side for a long time

If SOS was competing against Mason Cox types he’d never have conceded a goal. Especially not in a prelim.

cox is like 6 foot 14

what do you reckon sos would have done if hes in good touch , the ball is coming in fast and well, and he is not allowed to strag under the modern rules?

I said isn’t better than glass or Scarlett they are comparably rated for a reason Rance is good but he isn’t legend of the game material

um yes he is

SOS was so good, Richmond have him a lap of honour after his 300th game (which was the first time it has ever been done, and I thought was very classy by the Tigers)

I am biased and say SOS as the GOAT Fullback, but Rance was no slouch either, just about the only defender in the game who regularly beat Buddy Franklin in his prime (or at least broke even)

There's a reason why the best fullbacks get compared to Silvagni, but SOS was more than that. He could not only stop Ablett in his prime, he could kick a bag up forward himself, dominate Hird on the ball and head out to CHB and blanket the best I've seen in Carey.

In retirement, Rance deserves to be compared with the best in his position. That will likely a fade a touch over time though.

cox is like 6 foot 14

what do you reckon sos would have done if hes in good touch , the ball is coming in fast and well, and he is not allowed to strag under the modern rules?

He wouldn’t flop, zone off at the wrong times, blame it on his midfield, play for free kicks, stupidly play from behind etc etc.

He got the better of Dunstall, Lockett, Carey and Modra multiple times. He’d handle Cox with ease.

I've heard people argue Rance, Scarlett and SOS. Glass isn't in this conversation.

SOS and Scarlett are in their own tier.

Rance is firmly in the Glass, McPharlin, Lake and soon to be McGovern tier. Although he couldn’t actually defend as well as that group, his offence boosts him up to sneak him in.

Back