Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Going into bat for a Senior Coach who is being actively ignored on list management is exactly what the CEO should be doing.

The way he went about it was perhaps wrong, but this is the President's problem for letting it get to this.

For me, I'll throw Chris Judd in too. How have MLG and Judd let dysfunction in their football department get to this?
Irony being you have a director of football with training wheels on. Judd is young, no directorship experience and no obvious mentor on the board, Not to say there isn't one behind the scenes but not obvious nor is it ever referred to. Slip ups are going to happen as we have seen. As long as he learns he will buy time to grow into the role.

why overruled

They wanted a mature body rather than another 19 year old kid.

Allegedly had Marlion Pickett not gotten injured the weekend prior to the draft -- potentially a home and away season ending injury -- he would have been selected ahead of Deluca.

This makes sense to me as the media had published stories linking us to both Dunkley and Pickett.

SOS replacement won’t be one of Liddle’s mates..

I don't care about getting in mates or people you've worked with before.

What I absolutely care about is signing the best person available for the position and giving them enough power and support to do the best job possible.

The second that you start going down any other path you're fighting a losing battle. Sort the s**t out so that's no longer an issue and begin empowering your team to do their best.

I'm sick of this political bullshit. If there's people in the organisation who cant, for one reason or another, move past that and the other associated drama then they have lost the right to be at Carlton.

For all of the positive changes that have happened at the club in recent times the more they stay the same. There are people at the club who need to grow up or * off. I don't know who but it's bloody obvious.

Newman should be, yes.

Kennedy, if physically rebuilt by Russell, and developed properly is a midfield bull that we desperately need.
Your right and seems Russell has span is magic Matt looks in very good condition, has got beautiful kick quite penetrating too.
I’m certain Kennedy, Newns and Martin will make a big difference to the our midfield. Releasing Marc and Eddie to cause havoc in the forward line.

All this stinks
Doesnt look great from an outsider looking in, granted, but what it does indicate more clearly is the rebuild has finally entered a maturing phase where more nuanced and opposing decision making is now a luxury we are in a position to afford. Club hasn't handled it from a PR front well, and no one really knows with certainty the specifics. Yet the clashing of beliefs around strategy/direction is a good thing. Will test the maturity of the exec and board however and what comes of this will be the real test as to where we are at as a club.

They wanted a mature body rather than another 19 year old kid.

Allegedly had Marlion Pickett not gotten injured the weekend prior to the draft -- potentially a home and away season ending injury -- he would have been selected ahead of Deluca.

This makes sense to me as the media had published stories linking us to both Dunkley and Pickett.
Should have drafted Pickett regardless of injury or changed tack. Few mature age draftees are good enough to affect results in a team who were performing as badly as we were. However, I can remember the tactic of getting a 'ready made' player was a popular one on this site at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brock Mclean was Rattens pick, you are aware of that.

People seem to forget as much when they glorify his performance

If you honestly believe one man has that power at a club you have lost it.

They have numerous recruiting and list management staff for what???

First let me say that I am a huge SOS fan and am sad to see him go.

I am a firm believer in people being left to do their jobs. However, taking a devil's advocate position, I can see some logic in Liddle & co overruling (or at least arguing against) SOS on some things.

There seems to have been (at least) three incidents that broke SOS's relationship with the admin; Brandon Ellis, Eddie Betts, Josh Deluca.

Ellis: Courting him behind SOS's back is inexcusable, however the other two I can sort of understand.

Betts: SOS says we are chasing Papley and Martin, I have no need for a temporary solution. In the long-run, this is a waste of money. Fair enough. BUT hypothetically admin sees another 3K memberships and higher crowds... for the cost of a useless pick and a bit of salary cap. Think of all the goodwill on here since Eddie came back to where he belongs.

Deluca: SOS doesn't want a plodder, he wants a promising kid. He is willing to play the long game... BUT admin sees we are bottom of the ladder, with an under-the-pump coach and staring down a wooden spoon - having handed over potential pick #1 to Adel! So they want a quick fix. Can you imagine the PR nightmare the club would be facing if we hadn't improved in 2nd half of the year? The fallout for finishing last and handing over pick #1 would be 50 times worse than the criticism GC has faced for its trade/draft decisions this year.

I guess the question is should list management operate in a bubble, or should there be commercial/marketing/strategic considerations when making recruitment decisions?

TL,R; Holistically, recruiting Betts and Deluca (over a speculative kid) may have been the right decisions for the club, if not the list. Yes/no?

Bad list management with late pick..BS
Conflict of interest..BS
Wants to leave...BS
Arrogant and Stubborn..BS
Leaks to media..BS
Job is done...BS
It is muckrakers spin.
They throw two or three of these things in a post and make it sound like they are balanced.
Not sure how many buy such spin but if you throw enough mud around, some will stick in a persons mind as if fact if thrown around enough times.

I don't care about getting in mates or people you've worked with before.

What I absolutely care about is signing the best person available for the position and giving them enough power and support to do the best job possible.

The second that you start going down any other path you're fighting a losing battle. Sort the s**t out so that's no longer an issue and begin empowering your team to do their best.

I'm sick of this political bullshit. If there's people in the organisation who cant, for one reason or another, move past that and the other associated drama then they have lost the right to be at Carlton.

For all of the positive changes that have happened at the club in recent times the more they stay the same. There are people at the club who need to grow up or fu** off. I don't know who but it's bloody obvious.
that's a curious last line, wickster.....

that's a curious last line, wickster.....

Just think that how this SOS situation has been handled stinks. Too much drama and politics behind it. Not all from SOS -- not by a long shot.

If we're going to move forward as an organisation we must move past the same old crap that has diseased the club in the past. That may mean getting rid of people who can't move past that.

It is what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back