Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole "conflict of interest" stuff with Jack and Ben and any possible future conflict is just pure rubbish and spin from the club. Pretty clear the Board got rid of him simply because he's not the messiah list manager many make him out to be...and quite frankly, he ain't the smartest tool in the shed. It is still a tough situation because he's a club legend...so it's a shame it's come to this.

Righttttt

Agresta missed on Papley. Cain’s boy couldn’t get it done! He got Martin for nothing, brought in Setterfield at a bargain price and Plowman. He has got our stars through the draft. Sound strategy of would have thought!!!
Agresta is a myth. Brad and Cain’s snake!

Jeremias while we're fact checking, perhaps sus this out. :oops:

Do you have any proof to back this up! :think:

Well, like most tidbits of info posted here, it is just from a reliable source...which I certainly can't elaborate on. I didn't mean to try and stir up BS here...and probably should have clarified a bit more. And I like SOS and think the whole thing was handled poorly. But the stuff about having to distance himself from decisions...it's nothing more than cover.

The only fact I was pointing to was the reason he parted ways with the club. I have no idea whether he was any good at his job.

Fair ol' backtrack...

You specifically said it was because he's not the "messiah list manager" and is "not the smartest tool in the shed".

Feel free to elaborate on that if you actually have anything of substance to add to those statements. Appreciate you have a "reliable source", but for all I and any others know, what you're posting could just be that source's opinion, not fact. What are you led to believe was the reason for him being cut loose?

Fair ol' backtrack...

You specifically said it was because he's not the "messiah list manager" and is "not the smartest tool in the shed".

No...that was the reason I said he's been forced out of the club. I have no real clue as to whether he's a good list manager or not or whether he's a smart bloke or not.

Feel free to elaborate on that if you actually have anything of substance to add to those statements. Appreciate you have a "reliable source", but for all I and any others know, what you're posting could just be that source's opinion, not fact. What are you led to believe was the reason for him being cut loose?

Fair enough. And I really can't go into detail Appreciate reading my post back, if it was someone else posting this and I was reading it, I'd probably call BS too. Maybe I'll just exit the conversation now. ;)

No...that was the reason I said he's been forced out of the club. I have no real clue as to whether he's a good list manager or not or whether he's a smart bloke or not.

Fair enough. And I really can't go into detail Appreciate reading my post back, if it was someone else posting this and I was reading it, I'd probably call BS too. Maybe I'll just exit the conversation now. ;)

No harm no foul. Completely understand not being able to go into more detail where confidential sources are concerned, but glad that you can appreciate that, for that same reason, it's hard to trust the info you've provided. It reads a lot more like someone's opinion than a "fact", though of course the identify of the source changes the weight that opinion carries dramatically.

My assumption, if someone is willing to share a very critical view like that, odds are they're not at the "decision making" level and are probably either framing their own opinion strongly, or are recounting information they've received second/third/fourth hand themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well then why mention it?

Gives your so called fact no credibility
I'm assuming that they felt like it was worthwhile.
Plenty of what is discussed here wouldn't exactly hold up in the face of expert analysis & i'm positive that there'd be people who question each of our respective credibility from time to time.
Ultimately though: who really cares?

I'm assuming that they felt like it was worthwhile.
Plenty of what is discussed here wouldn't exactly hold up in the face of expert analysis & i'm positive that there'd be people who question each of our respective credibility from time to time.
Ultimately though: who really cares?

It's interesting, forget the SOS name for a moment, I will keep asking, which recruiter had a considerably better record than our former list manager with no name over the same period

It's interesting, forget the SOS name for a moment, I will keep asking, which recruiter had a considerably better record than our former list manager with no name over the same period
It remains unclear just how successful the list build has been IMO,
Personally, I'd say those stating that it's been either great or poor list build are equally premature with their assessment as there is much still to play out but hey, perhaps I'm just a contrarian in that sense.

Lets face it he hasnt done it all on his own.... These arguments are all redundant. The fact is SOS targeted them and missed out on them. Part of the art of targeting a player is that he is gettable . If a trade has to be done then you better have enough ammunition to get it done otherwise you are wasting your time and are better off targeting someone else.
Your correlations here are so loose that they can be applied to any fanciful argument. Here, watch me try a similarly loose and stupid argument myself; Crippa’s involvement in clearances are likewise one of a series of chinks in a clearance chain, he isn‘t the only one involved in his clearances; Cripps targets a win in each contest, but fails to win every time, if a clearance has to be done then you better have enough ammunition to get it done otherwise you are wasting your time and are better off targeting some-other contest. Silly ha?

It remains unclear just how successful the list build has been IMO,
Personally, I'd say those stating that it's been either great or poor list build are equally premature with their assessment as there is much still to play out but hey, perhaps I'm just a contrarian in that sense.

Of course people prefer to play a straight bat, that's natural. I agree, never as good, never as bad, as people have stated, as other factors are crucial, such as continuity and development, but so far certain indicators suggest this is a very solid rebuild

Our progress next year will be interesting and while I have said for a while that our rebuild is ahead of the Lions ( only need to achieve 6 wins next year, compared to their 2018 results), I would be disappointed if we didn't improve our points for and against next year.

The most important indicators, will be inside 50, tackles and contested possessions differentials.

Improve on this year's results, breakeven or win those areas, then we will have a better idea of where we are heading as a group

Let’s just be clear when we talk about what SOSs role actually was, it wasn’t choosing the players to draft that is why we have recruiters that reported into SOS.

SOSs role was list management in a nutshell, contracts, who was to let go to create list space to recruit, trades and targets of trades to fill areas we were bereft in, coordinate the recruiting team and put together the strategies to get the best result in trades and drafts etc

What has happened should not be a distraction from the efforts put in to trade out the players we did and use other collateral to get the plethora of early picks and his uncanny ability to get value when doing trades.

The Stocker trade was a case in point, his recruiters would have been raving about him and when they had IP that he would probably be there late it was the “value” SOS would have been excited about.

On the other side, He missed on a lot of key targets which is very un-Carlton like and something that would have annoyed him no end.

As much as it’s as clear as day to me that COI was nowhere near the end of the story let’s not try and reshape what his role was.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let’s just be clear when we talk about what SOSs role actually was, it wasn’t choosing the players to draft that is why we have recruiters that reported into SOS.

SOSs role was list management in a nutshell, contracts, who was to let go to create list space to recruit, trades and targets of trades to fill areas we were bereft in, coordinate the recruiting team and put together the strategies to get the best result in trades and drafts etc

What has happened should not be a distraction from the efforts put in to trade out the players we did and use other collateral to get the plethora of early picks and his uncanny ability to get value when doing trades.

The Stocker trade was a case in point, his recruiters would have been raving about him and when they had IP that he would probably be there late it was the “value” SOS would have been excited about.

On the other side, He missed on a lot of key targets which is very un-Carlton like and something that would have annoyed him no end.

As much as it’s as clear as day to me that COI was nowhere near the end of the story let’s not try and reshape what his role was.

SOS didn't choose the players to draft? Please

our board dropped the ball on SOS and should move on...personally I cannot wait until they fu** off...I get satisfaction knowing when I’m off my seat supporting the blues it won be for those fu**heads...I got my membership pack today; months after that bald prick debited my account

I reckon that you must have a malfunction to think that SOS didn’t do a good job at Carlton.

The less I see of Liddle and co.the better. He carries himself like he is running BHP and delivering results to shareholders.

LOL. Sooo do you like Liddle or wot?

SOS didn't choose the players to draft? Please

He would have collated recruiters opinions and helped to mould the list rankings by going through discussions on each targets profile (strengths/weaknesses/projected AFL positions) but as for pure Identification of the players that form the basis of the list no...that’s what we have a team of talent identification recruiters for.

He would have collated recruiters opinions and helped to mould the list rankings by going through discussions on each targets profile (strengths/weaknesses/projected AFL positions) but as for pure Identification of the players that form the basis of the list no...that’s what we have a team of talent identification recruiters for.

Of course it would be collaborative, but someone always has the final say

Can't vouch for this year, but previously SOS attended just as many games as the talent identifiers

Of course it would be collaborative, but someone always has the final say

Can't vouch for this year, but previously SOS attended just as many games as the talent identifiers
Interestingly the feedback I have heard is the opposite. That he went to a lot of games involving his boys, but would "call in" on others

Specific story came from someone close to Wright at Hawthorn suggesting that SOS called Wright to ask who he thought were the standout players at a match he didn't get to.

I've not pushed too much down this line on here because I think SOS has done a good job, but also think there is some correlation between draftees and club of origin - particularly lesser known boys from the APS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back