BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Of course it would be collaborative, but someone always has the final say

Can't vouch for this year, but previously SOS attended just as many games as the talent identifiers
From a Rebels perspective at least, this is inaccurate.
I'm sure that he got to his share of games but it wasn't his job to be the boots on the ground.

Sin City

Brownlow Medallist
May 29, 2009
Winterfell
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
You did that say that he gets to as many games at the scouts though, which is what I was responding to.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Watching games live is very important so please don’t think I’m disregarding it but even back in 2013 we had technology for all under 18 and state league games where you could just search for example Patrick Cripps clearances or Sam Walsh kicks and tackles etc. Hell of a lot of footage we have available.

Just on the conversation above, SOS always picked the players at Carlton. He has an enormous amount of respect for Brodie’s eye though.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Watching games live is very important so please don’t think I’m disregarding it but even back in 2013 we had technology for all under 18 and state league games where you could just search for example Patrick Cripps clearances or Sam Walsh kicks and tackles etc. Hell of a lot of footage we have available.

Just on the conversation above, SOS always picked the players at Carlton. He has an enormous amount of respect for Brodie’s eye though.
Of course mate,
Arrow had stated that SOS would attend as many games as his team which would be inaccurate because he simply doesn't need to in his role, which is what I was responding to.
I've seen firsthand the amount of notes that the scouts compile which would then be fed along to Brodie, Agresta & SOS who'd then run their eye over the various prospects & ultimately decide whether they fit their vision for the list.

blue_trinity

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Of course mate,
Arrow had stated that SOS would attend as many games as his team which would be inaccurate because he simply doesn't need to in his role, which is what I was responding to.
I've seen firsthand the amount of notes that the scouts compile which would then be fed along to Brodie, Agresta & SOS who'd then run their eye over the various prospects & ultimately decide whether they fit their vision for the list.

Exactly right. It’s the vision for their list that sos has the control over. I can categorically say that a list manager attends to nowhere the amount of games than that of a recruiter.

The recruiters are essentially advisers to the list manager. They do the research and collate the data, and put forward their opinion to the list manager. If the list manager is worth their salt, they’ll listen, but they don’t have to if they don’t want to. The amount of hours the recruiting team spend watching (live) and re-watching games is mind boggling. It is a 6/7 day a week job for 6 months of the year. If you worked at a footy club you would see them every morning as they walked into a little closed off room, and you would see them every evening as they walkout home.

I can you the exact amount of chargers games the then St Kilda list manager (who was no mug) saw in 2015/16. It’s an easy number to remember, it’s 0.

I’m not saying sos does it the same or he doesn’t. But in my experience, as soon you’re title is list manager, you’re role a vastly different.

KnobHead

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Ayahuasca Island
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm a bit old school tbh. SOS only worried about SOS when sh*t hit the fan re: brown paper bag payments back in his playing days. He was complicit. He rolled. The stains are still on the walls.
Never should've been allowed back at the club. Once bitten.
Culture killer. And here we are.
Do u like where our list is at compared to when he started?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Metalcrusher

Bush Chook
Jan 22, 2015
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Blackburn United EPL ... sorta
I'm a bit old school tbh. SOS only worried about SOS when sh*t hit the fan re: brown paper bag payments back in his playing days. He was complicit. He rolled. The stains are still on the walls.
Wow that certainly is an opinion ......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MrsEddieBetts

Mumma Mebbie
Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d call cheating the culture killer m’self.

Nov 8, 2000
Head in the clouds
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Sorry, but this is nothing but Elliott propaganda. We got caught through O'Reilly. The board was overthrown. SOS and Bradley went to Ian Collins and told them they were owed extra payments but hadn't been paid. Collins told them to come forward to the AFL so we could move forward completely clean. They did what they were told.

Of course it turned out we had one more skeleton in our closet involving Matthew Allan and his manager and copped a small whack the next year as well.

Would you have rathered we just kept having stuff come out in dribs and drabs and prolong the pain further? We were already gone. On our 3rd strike when the O'Reilly thing went down. SOS and Bradley did the right thing.

footyfan1978

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Sorry, but this is nothing but Elliott propaganda. We got caught through O'Reilly. The board was overthrown. SOS and Bradley went to Ian Collins and told them they were owed extra payments but hadn't been paid. Collins told them to come forward to the AFL so we could move forward completely clean. They did what they were told.

Of course it turned out we had one more skeleton in our closet involving Matthew Allan and his manager and copped a small whack the next year as well.

Would you have rathered we just kept having stuff come out in dribs and drabs and prolong the pain further? We were already gone. On our 3rd strike when the O'Reilly thing went down. SOS and Bradley did the right thing.
I'm surprised to this day how many still do not realise this and stuck in a John Elliott thinking bubble.
Open Mike when SOS was on it eons ago made that clear.

I believe SOS and Braddles never got paid what they were owed from the Elliott regime time too. It was a f’ed up situation Elliott regime put them in when they found out we were outside the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad