Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

If getting a game and regularly getting dropped is a pass mark for you then im
Glad you’re not in charge of our list. They have both been objectively disappointing and their failure
To develop into good players is part of the reason we have not taken the next step as a club.

Also I’ve been on this board for 15 years so down tell me to shoo
Sigh.

You said this:
Dow and O’Brien are top 10 picks in their fourth years, who can not get a game in a bog average team with a sizeable injury list

they are busts
... and then you said this:
I don’t give two shits what you think of my opinion.

What did I say that was incorrect?

Your initial post contained 3 statements:

1. Dow and O'Brien are top 10 picks in their fourth season. This is correct.
2. Dow and O'Brien can't get a game. Both have played first 22 footy this year, so not correct.
4. Dow and O'Brien are busts.

Both are still listed players, and have played firsts footy. Both have more to prove, and more to do to become AFL players, but neither are busts at present. So, again, this is incorrect.

You asked me which parts of your post were incorrect. I told you. Do you have anything else about your life you'd like me to narrate?

Need a bigger sample size with Parks, his stock has risen in that he’s played in our only wins and none of our losses, and against the poorest opposition (pies had more available night we played them).

So while I agree we looked better when Parks played, I doubt he’d have changed the result v port or Brisbane.

Would have preferred some easy goals to be kicked & not given up vs Port, with a lot more application.

Needed to take more chances in front of goal vs Brisbane & take back that 2nd quarter.

Sigh.

You said this:

... and then you said this:

Your initial post contained 3 statements:

1. Dow and O'Brien are top 10 picks in their fourth season. This is correct.
2. Dow and O'Brien can't get a game. Both have played first 22 footy this year, so not correct.
4. Dow and O'Brien are busts.

Both are still listed players, and have played firsts footy. Both have more to prove, and more to do to become AFL players, but neither are busts at present. So, again, this is incorrect.

You asked me which parts of your post were incorrect. I told you. Do you have anything else about your life you'd like me to narrate?
Did either of them play this week?
Why not? They are both fit and available for selection. So stop being a smart arse. They can’t get a game because they aren’t good enough. I never said they have never played a game.

Did either of them play this week?
Why not? They are both fit and available for selection. So stop being a smart arse. They can’t get a game because they aren’t good enough. I never said they have never played a game.
You asked me to tell you which parts of your post was incorrect. I told you.

That you don't like what you've been told is not my problem.

You asked me to tell you which parts of your post was incorrect. I told you.

That you don't like what you've been told is not my problem.
What I said was correct you just twisted it around to fit a ridiculous agenda.

Answer me this question. Why did neither LOB or Dow play this weekend?

Hardly mischievous. Highly factual.

Take your point about getting hardened bodies in to the team, hence why I put Wright in the pass list. In all faieness, probably should have put Kerridge and Phillips in there too for the same reason as they were serviceable. However everyone else on that list is a genuine fail (IMO)
Alex silvagni went alright too

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

How bout Austin/Agresta for delisting so many tall last year that we have no intercept defenders with Marchy constantly injured

look at the difference parks has made this year. Sure could use Macraedie.

Also not having a developing ruckman/forward on the list. Going into the season with Pitt/TDK is poor management

I'm pretty comfortable with where we are at list wise with Austin/Agresta..
They obviously have a plan and are sticking to it, last years trade draft period was super impressive.

Doubt many could say that they are disappointed with the trade of Williams, Saad and Fogarty.
Or aren't excited to see the growth of Durdin, Carroll & Parks..

Durdin Pick 37, Carroll Pick 41 and Parks Rookie Draft, we smashed it imagine what we could do with decent picks.

SOS was a favourite son and tried his best, until the end..
He may go down in history as an average list manager and A grade LaLa..
But hope not, he is one of the greatest Carlton FC players of all time..

SOS had a Job where he was up against it from the start.. Without getting more time than he actually got, he was always going to be up against it.
Had to start a team with some good players and the rest from scratch.

He had to really nail every pick and hope they developed into a decent AFL player, to complete the rebuild in 66 games..
At the end of the day 66 games was a ridiculous target, which set SOS and Co up to fail.
They ultimately failed through, trying to push to quickly and missing trade targets and poor drafting choice

They obviously have a plan and are sticking to it, last years trade draft period was super impressive.

Doubt many could say that they are disappointed with the trade of Williams, Saad and Fogarty.

Durdin Pick 37, Carroll Pick 41 and Parks Rookie Draft, we smashed it imagine what we could do with decent picks.

SOS had a Job where he was up against it from the start.. Without getting more time than he actually got, he was always going to be up against it.

He had to really nail every pick and hope they developed into a decent AFL player, to complete the rebuild in 66 games..
At the end of the day 66 games was a ridiculous target, which set SOS and Co up to fail.
They ultimately failed through, trying to push to quickly and missing trade targets and poor drafting choice
This is an interesting take.

There's a clear difference between what our list management looks like now and when SOS began; he had Brodie and a few talent scouts.

I don't know about impossible; he certainly took to the task as though hard choices needed to be made. You want more money? We'll flip you to Geelong for a first round pick. You inform us halfway through the year that your player wants out? We'll hold you to ransom and waste your time until you give me something that approximates what I want. You want to leave? We can accomodate that, but we're going to pull their ******* teeth and you're not going to say a word.

He dealt with harsh realities; our out of control salary cap, players believing they were worth more to stay (who were probably right; we could have done with both Henderson and Tuohy in the years since) and opposition clubs who we needed to deal with. He went out of his way to make hard lines; we shall pay you X money, and if you don't like it the door is over there. How many players did we miss out on because he was unwilling to play ball?

Did he make the job harder than it needed to be?

This is an interesting take.

There's a clear difference between what our list management looks like now and when SOS began; he had Brodie and a few talent scouts.

I don't know about impossible; he certainly took to the task as though hard choices needed to be made. You want more money? We'll flip you to Geelong for a first round pick. You inform us halfway through the year that your player wants out? We'll hold you to ransom and waste your time until you give me something that approximates what I want. You want to leave? We can accomodate that, but we're going to pull their ******* teeth and you're not going to say a word.

He dealt with harsh realities; our out of control salary cap, players believing they were worth more to stay (who were probably right; we could have done with both Henderson and Tuohy in the years since) and opposition clubs who we needed to deal with. He went out of his way to make hard lines; we shall pay you X money, and if you don't like it the door is over there. How many players did we miss out on because he was unwilling to play ball?

Did he make the job harder than it needed to be?

Personally admired and thought it was SOS's greatest strength..
The hard nosed approach to TPP and trading players that didn't want to be here..
Club should have kept him on as TPP and Contracts manager..

Kind of hope we keep that philosophy with contracts like Cripps and McKay/ Walsh (we 100% need to keep both though) but at a fair contract.
If we continue to overpay for the likes of Cripps, McKay, Walsh, McGovern, Saad & Williams.. Then we could quite easily turn into the next Collingwood without even making a final/ Grand Final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't like the recruitment of Saad

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

The recruitment is not bad in itself but I wish we did not give up our first round pick for him (having said that, I am glad it was last season's than this year's)

Should have tried to get a 2nd round pick back from the Druggies at least.

What’s tipped you?
a). Pick 8 involved
b). 5 years to a 27yo in 2021
c). Contract value ~$3M
d). Type of player
e). All of the above
I don't like the cash on two back flankers(Williams as a mid jury still out) and the draft capital and length of contract for a guy never all Australian not finals proven - placed once in a BandF in two struggling sides . We needed a good developing tall more than we needed a back flanker .
More than anything I hope I'm wrong ..

Personally admired and thought it was SOS's greatest strength..
The hard nosed approach to TPP and trading players that didn't want to be here..
Club should have kept him on as TPP and Contracts manager..

Kind of hope we keep that philosophy with contracts like Cripps and McKay/ Walsh (we 100% need to keep both though) but at a fair contract.
If we continue to overpay for the likes of Cripps, McKay, Walsh, McGovern, Saad & Williams.. Then we could quite easily turn into the next Collingwood without even making a final/ Grand Final
I think there's a marked difference between making sure you do not overpay anyone and refusing to compromise at all.

Think SOS's real brilliance was in moving picks around once he translated a trade into picks. His transformation of Tom Bell into Charlie Curnow sticks out as just a masterclass on bartering; not a single person in that chain of trades left him thinking he dudded them, yet you see what he went in with and what he emerged with and your jaw drops. Sure, the recalibration of our salary cap had to happen, but could we not have sacrificed one or two of the salary dumps (Palmer, perhaps?) to retain the services of Henderson or Tuohy?

Essentially, I wonder if he was truly as hard as his decisions make him seem, and if he was how much that got people offside.

I think there's a marked difference between making sure you do not overpay anyone and refusing to compromise at all.

Think SOS's real brilliance was in moving picks around once he translated a trade into picks. His transformation of Tom Bell into Charlie Curnow sticks out as just a masterclass on bartering; not a single person in that chain of trades left him thinking he dudded them, yet you see what he went in with and what he emerged with and your jaw drops. Sure, the recalibration of our salary cap had to happen, but could we not have sacrificed one or two of the salary dumps (Palmer, perhaps?) to retain the services of Henderson or Tuohy?

Essentially, I wonder if he was truly as hard as his decisions make him seem, and if he was how much that got people offside.
The touhy decision still baffles me like when they didn't want to pay Eddie but happy to pay Thomas with a bad ankle

The recruitment is not bad in itself but I wish we did not give up our first round pick for him (having said that, I am glad it was last season's than this year's)

Absolutely agree, draft 2021 is a very good draft top the ten picks are quality part from Nick Daicos & Jason Horne incredibly talented but out of our reach , there’s Johnston & Roberts two standout goal kicking & attacking midfielders, with good athleticism,
and more, so an additional top ten pick this in this draft is golden.

Saad is the type of player we needed.
Saad and Williams off the half backline, should be our major strength.
But of course Teague's obsessed with Williams in the middle

Despise Saad's price, pick 8 (Cox) for Saad we got reamed and Saad and Williams salaries reek of desperation

Hey guys just wondering.. are we in the first year where we’re allowed to spend 5% over the cap or does it work differently?

Hey guys just wondering.. are we in the first year where we’re allowed to spend 5% over the cap or does it work differently?
Second year I think. Although, the AFL might have suspended last year because of COVID and the reduction in the salary cap. If the AFL suspended last year, it means that we are in the first year of a 3 year period where we can spend the 5% over the cap.

We should have split last years first and given Essendon the lower of the two. They would have jumped and screamed about it... but hey... it's a first round pick, so * off Dodo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back