Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure it may not be the case but it most likely will be.

A club won't ever refrain from trading because of personnel changes, I'm just noting it will be ideal for a new list manager to not be hindered by past decisions, so the timing will likely be fortuitous from that perspective.

I do not agree that moving draft picks equates to hindering an incoming list manager. If anything, inheriting a stronger list is a bonus.

I would assume it has to do with the possibility of having 3 boys on the list, having to recruit players who might end up taking one of their spots, the possibility of maybe having to cut the list and maybe end one of their careers.

The added scrutiny him being there would place on his boys, Jack gets a very tough ride in the media and online due to the Silvagni name and it’s also possible that if the boys do well SOS might just want to sit back and enjoy their careers without all the crap that would go with it.
Im guessing that he’s leaving prematurely because of the micromanaging MO of an inexperienced CEO. I won’t feel at ease until my Club brings in an experienced CEO to replace the current one. That’s just how I feel.

Im guessing that he’s leaving prematurely because of the micromanaging MO of an inexperienced CEO. I won’t feel at ease until my Club brings in an experienced CEO to replace the current one. That’s just how I feel.

It will be interesting what is said in the coming weeks and when SOS departs, I don’t believe there has been meddling, I just don’t think SOS is happy with new requirements in his role. I’m defiantly not saying mistakes haven’t been made though, lessons need to be learned

It will be interesting what is said in the coming weeks and when SOS departs, I don’t believe there has been meddling, I just don’t think SOS is happy with new requirements in his role. I’m defiantly not saying mistakes haven’t been made though, lessons need to be learned
Yeah nah, am personally hoping we get rid of the Richmond bloke as soon as is practicable to do so.

Last edited:
So SOS trades our 2020 first round pick and that has no impact on our ability to trade entering next year's preseason? I don't follow that logic but fair enough.

He did the exact same thing this time a year ago and it didn't have any negative impact on our trade period.

So yeah, I'd say if we did the same again come draft night we'd still be able to position ourselves very well for 2020.

This still all reads as a storm in a teacup IMO.
Even going off the limited and somewhat slanted info available:
* Liddle appears to have overstepped and has now been reined in.
* MLG has tried to correct the situation
* SOS who was intending to walk in 12 months time has decided to leave a year earlier.

The primary focus should be on who SOS hands the keys over to as the earlier departure may have thrown a spanner into the works of other plans that the club has had in place - fingers crossed that the club is able to secure a suitable candidate.

Speaking to a well known media personality today who is a Carlton supporter told me Kinneat Beatson is a certainty to replace SOS

The primary focus should be on who SOS hands the keys over to as the earlier departure may have thrown a spanner into the works of other plans that the club has had in place - fingers crossed that the club is able to secure a suitable candidate.

Head of FootballBrad Lloyd
General Manager - List Management and StrategyStephen Silvagni
National Recruiting ManagerPaul Brodie
List ManagerMichael Agresta
Recruiting OfficerDale Harris
Recruiting OfficerMichael Jordan
Recruiting OfficerJase Morris
Recruiting OfficerRoss Parker
Personally, I think the point in all of this may be that he doesn't need to hand the keys over to anyone...

Our structure has two people with strangely similar titles in Agresta and SOS. That title of Silvagni's (which I believe may have changed twice since he was appointed?) basically reads same job, except one is the boss in order to appease Silvagni. Everyone today, would be reporting to Lloyd which wasn't the case before he was appointed.

Essentially, SOS had full autonomy over the list, drafting and trading when he arrived. Andy McKay would check major decisions off and with LoGuidice, who would probably just rubber stamp anything that SOS said was good IMO. Far greater structure now and I would suggest there has been some clashing of egos, mainly from what i've read in the media.

SOS was going to leave at the end of 2020
Initially I was disappointed to hear about SOS. But after thinking it over, if he wasn't a club legend, I wouldn't be concerned about a list manager or whatever he is, moving on after 4 years of service. My view now is to show no attachment as every job has a beginning and an ending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't need to replace SOS. Surely head of list management is Agresta's gig when SOS steps away!?

Instead we give more fuel to the vultures to lap up and derail what we are doing.
I don’t think it can derail us.

The list overhaul is largely done. New coach. New fitness manager.

Performances will over come noise soon enough. It’s just very disappointing. Very irritating. Somewhat sad.

Luke Sayers is terrific btw. Reaching the end of his term as CEO (finishes this year) and has to ‘retire’ under their rules. Timing is good for him as he will have the time to devote to it. He’s very well regarded. Connected and experienced.

Edit: focuses a lot on team building and culture. Definitely the time for that.

We are lucky to have him.

Last edited:
Head of FootballBrad Lloyd
General Manager - List Management and StrategyStephen Silvagni
National Recruiting ManagerPaul Brodie
List ManagerMichael Agresta
Recruiting OfficerDale Harris
Recruiting OfficerMichael Jordan
Recruiting OfficerJase Morris
Recruiting OfficerRoss Parker
Personally, I think the point in all of this may be that he doesn't need to hand the keys over to anyone...

Our structure has two people with strangely similar titles in Agresta and SOS. That title of Silvagni's (which I believe may have changed twice since he was appointed?) basically reads same job, except one is the boss in order to appease Silvagni. Everyone today, would be reporting to Lloyd which wasn't the case before he was appointed.

Essentially, SOS had full autonomy over the list, drafting and trading when he arrived. Andy McKay would check major decisions off and with LoGuidice, who would probably just rubber stamp anything that SOS said was good IMO. Far greater structure now and I would suggest there has been some clashing of egos, mainly from what i've read in the media.

Was gonna post pretty much the same. We already have a List Manager. Agresta.

We don't need to replace SOS. Surely head of list management is Agresta's gig when SOS steps away!?
That is probably about the best hope to have less damage done than what already has happened in these months.
Short of getting Wells it is best hope to pray Agresta has learned heaps from SOS and past good list managers he worked with to have a long career and continue on the great work SOS has set up and continue the strategy as best as he can for the next decade. Last thing I want to see happening is changing list managers regularly. A stable long term list management leader is what a strong club needs as Geelong has had for so long.

Is Agresta ready for the head role? Not sure how he is with negotiation/ contracts etc. We might need to replace SOS rather than promote from within.

I just think they will let Lloyd do the selling and be the face. Let Agresta do the heavy lifting.

Spot on.

Honestly, part of the problem now is that SOS and Agresta don't really have distinguishable differences in their role. Look at the job titles and explain the differences. Either Agresta was brought on to succeed SOS or I'm not sure on why he was positioned the way he was.

I appreciate SOS for all that he has done for us. However, he's leaving the club very well positioned like he did GWS. They kicked on afterwards and so too will we.

Downsizing on a department that prior to the last 5 years was one of the worst in the league sounds like a poor idea.
Why not use the funds to add recruiters? I didn’t suggest downsizing. Given there is a soft cap I think they should be careful about being too topheavy anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back