Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

The two situations don't require to be bound.

Silvagni hasn't done a great job with later picks and rookie picks and there may be other issues looked down on also.
That doesn't though mean that the club needs a mutiny on its hands.
If we haven't been doing one thing particularly well, we have to get better at it and there may be other means to do it, sooner than throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

We have to remember that this bad blood has been in play for months now, though. It didn't start yesterday.......and that's the problem.
Four drafts, Macready-Fisher-Gibbons and i wont name Jack. If he can average one a year i reckon he's going alright. Put DeKoning in there as well.

Read it again, and I still see a rant that demands SOS get respect because of his name and resorts to calling the CEO a campaigner which I assume is because his name isn’t synonymous with Carlton.

Sorry if this isn’t case
Your looking at this with a level head Dane, no room for that here. Let's get rid of the CEO. :)

Last edited:
Liddle seems to be doing good things and so he should, club is on the up and that message has been sold with a solid finish to last season.

If Liddle has done what he has done then he's done the wrong thing and needs to make it right.

Good people leaving the club is a black mark against the CEO and the board as much as a failure to have good people in place, brought in if need be. IMO Silvagni is one of those good people and Liddle, if he stays within his bounds will be one of those good people as well.

Can't help but question Liddle's position at the club. Hugely unprofessional and a gross misunderstanding of his role if true. A fox in the henhouse is the last thing we need.

If MLG can't reign this in how can Liddle continue at the club?

it was made clear SOS didn’t want to recruit Betts and most here were more than happy for SOS to be overruled by Teague, Lloyd and Liddle.

But all hell breaks lose when it comes out the CEO toured Ellis (shouldn’t have) despite SOS and co refusing to up their offer and telling him to get stuffed.

Recruiting Betts is by far the bigger issue, but hey, we love Eddie so it’s all good and we just appointed Teague so he gets a free pass.

Do people not see their own bias at work here and how overblown this has become?
Teague should be getting a say in recruiting not Liddle so it’s completely different imo.

That was exactly the point I was making - it’s not about individuals- two greats of the club moved on and the club survives.
It’s not only about SOS the individual. Granted, you implied yesterday that you feel SOS’s performance has been thereabouts. But for others, myself included, SOS has done an excellent job. Its natural to be unhappy, even angry, about the possibility of loosing a good person prematurely; that he happens to be legend of the club exasperates the situation.

The parts where many on this board have full turned on the CEO, who up until 2 weeks ago was flying, calling him a f**k head, a f ing bald headed flog, f ing campaigner, moron, telling him to F off out of our club, that all of a sudden he’s crap, he’s a nobody.

This sort of stuff.

All because. a HS article said a few things.

Lets say he toured Ellis without SOS knowing, ok it’s not great, but it’s not a hangable offence, SOS and his team and the club moved on to other targets.

The issues I’ve been told that are there are purely a disagreement on the structure of the recruiting team, SOS isn’t happy with how the CEO and I assume the board want to do it, moving forward.

If the roles were reversed and SOS was the CEO we would be having the exact opposite argument.

I agree that many have gone too hard with some of the comments, so let's strip it back

If one had to go, who you prefer it to be and why?

If I was making the call it would be Liddle. Easier to find a decent CEO, rather than a decent recruiter

Have no idea why Ellis would have thought he’d get to Carlton anyway given he was only going to get a minor pay increase. I get the feeling Pask thought we’d cave, and he’d get his 600k.

The obvious decision was to sound out Gold Coast and use Carlton’s initial interest to top-up the contract.
He may have been led to believe as such by one of our 4 List Managers.

The CFC have a real issue on their hands should Liddle have to go.
It's easier for the CFC for SOS to 'walk' than to have to sack....and have to explain...why the CEO has been ousted.

It's a very difficult situation but easy us to pick one over another.
How do we sell our choice to move on the CEO, who has garnered respect from members and sponsors? We'd be a laughing stock.

I still don't understand how this situation was allowed to simply flow along. Very disappointing and now it's probably all the more difficult for our inactivity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been adamant for a while now that Liddle is an AFL operative.

It started back at Trigg's sacking. I don't know all the inner workings behind Steven Trigg's exit from Carlton, but one thing stood out at that time was around the fact that Trigg wanted to bring games back to Princes Park, it was part of his blue print. Its pretty obvious the AFL don't want this and I found it coincidental that not only did Trigg get replaced, but his replacement, Cain Liddle, first order of business was to propose the demolition of the Pratt Stand for a building which could literally be put anywhere in the country.

Further to this, I believe Silvagni may be going a little too well for the AFL's liking. After watching the AFL intervene in some trades this year, its clear to me that AFL house think Carlton may be a bit ahead of what they would have liked and by astonishingly intervening in some trades this year they were giving their man the impetus to sack Silvagni who is building a force the AFL may not be able to control at Carlton.

The only boxes Liddle is ticking are ones relevant to the AFL: Membership, AFLW, Sponsorship. He is actually not helping on field or helping to put Carlton ahead of the game in ways that Trigg may have been.

I find wearing tin hats makes my head itchy....

it was made clear SOS didn’t want to recruit Betts and most here were more than happy for SOS to be overruled by Teague, Lloyd and Liddle.

But all hell breaks lose when it comes out the CEO toured Ellis (shouldn’t have) despite SOS and co refusing to up their offer and telling him to get stuffed.

Recruiting Betts is by far the bigger issue, but hey, we love Eddie so it’s all good and we just appointed Teague so he gets a free pass.

Do people not see their own bias at work here and how overblown this has become?
No

There is a massive difference between being ‘over ruled’ and ‘not being involved’. You just continue to not get it.

The CFC have a real issue on their hands should Liddle have to go.
It's easier for the CFC for SOS to 'walk' than to have to sack....and have to explain...why the CEO has been ousted.

It's a very difficult situation but easy us to pick one over another.
How do we sell our choice to move on the CEO, who has garnered respect from members and sponsors? We'd be a laughing stock.

I still don't understand how this situation was allowed to simply flow along. Very disappointing and now it's probably all the more difficult for our inactivity.
He’d have zero respect from members if it’s confirmed that he was purposely undermining SOS ...

Teague should be getting a say in recruiting not Liddle so it’s completely different imo.

Can’t agree, both have Silvagni being overruled by others.
I’m a fan of the decision so it’s hard but it can’t be wrong in one instance and right in the next.

Issues like this should be able to be worked through, even Liddle wanting Ellis, we pulled the pin due to excessive demands. I can’t see this being the issue.

It feels like a big exaggerated beat up

Before SOS came onboard. Our list was as bad as Fitzroy.
Not to mention our TPP which from all reports was diabolical and is now in a good place where we can actually chase some big names without any paper bags under the table.

Personally Newnes on a base wage is a much better list option than Ellis on 550,000 all day long and that in itself is why SOS is in charge of list management because plain and simple he knows how to manage the list and knows the complex workings of our TPP.

If Liddle overstepping his mark is true, and SOS doing the same is true, this is where MLG should step in and show leadership to get everyone on the same page. I'm not sure that's his strong suit, though.

MLG... the ghost president

Remove this Banner Ad

Back