Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just bumped onto Robbie Warnock and had to ask for the inside scoop. He had no idea.

My lasting memory of Robbie was seeing him sitting on the bench one day during a tight game reclined with his legs crossed as though he was more looking forward to an arriving cup of tea than the order to get back out there.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Nothing emotional in my posts.

SOS will not be at the Blues at the end of 2019, by his own choice.
Something from the HUN article that hasnt been mentioned is the part where it says SOS was already discussing an exit strategy with the Prez for the end of 2020, so SOS is obviously already looking at moving on at the end of next year anyway. Therefore it could all just be a storm in a teacup.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Can’t agree, both have Silvagni being overruled by others.
I’m a fan of the decision so it’s hard but it can’t be wrong in one instance and right in the next.

Issues like this should be able to be worked through, even Liddle wanting Ellis, we pulled the pin due to excessive demands. I can’t see this being the issue.

It feels like a big exaggerated beat up
Yes you can. SOS should be overruled by probably Brodie and his team when he needs to be (at the draft) and the coach for recruits in instants where it’s not really going to have a majorly affect on the list. Liddle should have no say in this area.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Before SOS came onboard. Our list was as bad as Fitzroy.
I’ve heard this before and it’s a huge exaggeration imo. We picked hardly anyone of any substance in terms of output for the 2016 season and finished fifth bottom. Our culture was as much a problem as our list and Bolton and others deserves huge credit for that

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I’ve heard this before and it’s a huge exaggeration imo. We picked hardly anyone of any substance in terms of output for the 2016 season and finished fifth bottom. Our culture was as much a problem as our list and Bolton and others deserves huge credit for that
Was not as bad as Fitzroy but certainly was worse than current Gold Coast list that got gifted luxury priority access.
The improvement in talent on list with no help from system doing us any favours is incredible.
We had a handful of players of long term value at end of 2015. Now we got heaps. It's young though as free agency mature talent is working against you when you coming from ground zero mess we had. But the talent is there to fully develop. Russell is a major bonus for the fitness side of development. Support coaches I hope can help Teague move it into serious improvement for 2020.

Last edited:

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Nice fence sitters view of the world. "Don"t get me wrong SOS is good. I rate him highly.....but let's roll with the punches". Also as far as positive evidence goes, all indications are in the right direction. It is 2 years too early to really tell which makes it pretty convenient for bureaucrats to get rid of him. Melbourne never recovered when Norm Smith and Barrassi left. You keep high performing favourite sons
I’m in the same boat as him tbh. I rate our list but I also see us losing possibly 4 best 22 players to retirement at the end of this season and that’s a lot to replace. A lot of players are maybe just average or good role players, I’m not sure. I also see huge talent in players like Dow, LOB, Fisher ect but I’ve also seen players look just as good fail. I think we are going in the right direction and won’t be far off finals but I also think there is a chance that their was abit of a dead cat bounce with Teague and before him things didn’t look to be going in the right direction. As you said it’s too early to really know so I’m probably a fence sitter too. I’m way too gun shy now days since Richmond proved everyone wrong and became a powerhouse side from nowhere.
Was not as bad as Fitzroy but certainly was worse than current Gold Coast list that got gifted luxury priority access.
The improvement in talent on list with no help from system doing us any favours is incredible.
We had a handful of players of long term value at end of 2015. Now we got heaps. It's young though as free agency mature talent is working against you when you coming from ground zero miss we had. But the talent is there to fully develop. Russell is a major bonus for the fitness side of development. Support coaches I hope can help Teague move it into serious improvement for 2020.
Agree with that. GC will have one of the most talented lists in the comp by the end of trade week.

IMO....If you were to look back over who we have had in both roles over the last decade or more, you would have to say its equally difficult finding a decent ceo and recruiter.

But at least we nail the Presidents; Kernahan, MLG....maybe not.

Anyway, Silvagni isn't the recruiter is he and we have a List Manager, in Agresta.
Silvagnis title suggests he's The General Manager of List Management and Strategy.
Don't even know why Silvagnis name has to be attached to every draftee......on second thought it's just the way it works, as long as it does work.

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Looking at it now Ellis’ manager was in the right. We stuffed him around but I’m also not sure if his manager was doing his job either if he hadn’t spoken to SOS???? If had only talked to Liddle that seems very strange and negligent. If he had talked to other members on SOS’ team then the entire situation looks even worse for us.

The part about us not getting our targets as a result of this though has no connection imo. We put our offers forward and the other clubs didn’t like it, that wouldn’t of changed just because they didn’t know who was calling the shots for us.
I am a bit confused about the Ellis situation.
Some of ITK posters here said that Ellis had agreed to a contract and when we missed Coglinio they tried to get more money.
Now it being said that SOS didn't know he was touring the club.
Too many contradictions.

Limestone

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
neil balme may have a say in Richmonds success, not Liddle
Something from the HUN article that hasnt been mentioned is the part where it says SOS was already discussing an exit strategy with the Prez for the end of 2020, so SOS is obviously already looking at moving on at the end of next year anyway. Therefore it could all just be a storm in a teacup.

i always thought from the start that SOS would set up the club, and then leave once his 3 sons were all at the club. I just don’t want it to be on bad terms . I named my son after him.

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not to mention our TPP which from all reports was diabolical and is now in a good place where we can actually chase some big names without any paper bags under the table.

Personally Newnes on a base wage is a much better list option than Ellis on 550,000 all day long and that in itself is why SOS is in charge of list management because plain and simple he knows how to manage the list and knows the complex workings of our TPP.
Our list and TPP are in good shape now.
Only problem is we have all of this salary cap space and no one to pay it to as we haven't been able to get these big name players in.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
i always thought from the start that SOS would set up the club, and then leave once his 3 sons were all at the club. I just don’t want it to be on bad terms . I named my son after him.
You named your son Sos?

Rosscoe

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Took the kids to macca’s today and picked up a paper to find out our football operations manager is reported as being Len Villani; I thought it was Lloyd. Meanwhile the contract offered to Stephen is less than what he is currently on.

Could be Anderson stirring the pot though.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Took the kids to macca’s today and picked up a paper to find out our football operations manager is reported as being Len Villani; I thought it was Lloyd. Meanwhile the contract offered to Stephen is less than what he is currently on.

Read newspaper.
Nothing of substance can find in it. Seems all based on a supposed Carlton insider.
Whole lot of noise but no real substance yet from anything read or seen in media or here.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Football Administration and Compliance Manager

Back