Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Cain Liddle is a professional. His issue is going into bat for a Senior Coach who wasn't getting listened to. He shouldn't be losing his job for that

Then Liddle has forgotten recent history as to how are List got so bad, which includes Ratten and Malthouse interfering with decisions on who we drafted / traded.

Bad list management with late pick..BS
Conflict of interest..BS
Wants to leave...BS
Arrogant and Stubborn..BS
Leaks to media..BS
Job is done...BS

It's no secret that Silvagni is hard to deal with.
He doesn't let many people into his life and doesn't particularly care for accumulating friends. His prerogative and more-so his nature.
He's an icon of the club and knows he can get away with things others may not be able to and then there's his standing amongst the high-end friends he does have at the club (MLG)

Silvagni will go but for this to be a favourable outcome MLG should go also. He really should and maybe even Judd with him.
MLG had tied himself to Bolton but cut the ties last minute. He's tied himself to SOS and even offered him another job apparently.....To his mate.

Call it an agenda if you want but if the boys club was to be dismantled MLG would be a key ticket to tear up and then we'd have a genuine fresh start.
The way I see it, I think it's quite possible this may come but it's going to take a lot of work prising MLG out of the chair he loves.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
How do you know the current leaks are coming from him and his camp?

There’s more than 2 camps?

Imo it wouldn’t be anyone from the Liddle camp, it makes no sense, to leak information that puts your job at risk.

The Silvagni camp if it is aggrieved is the opposite, he’s leaving, so leaking information hurts who’s staying.

In all seriousness, who do you think is leaking this stuff? What’s their agenda?

Rosscoe

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
He doesn't let many people into his life and doesn't particularly care for accumulating friends. His prerogative and more-so his nature.
He's an icon of the club and knows he can get away with things others may not be able to and then there's his standing amongst the high-end friends he does have at the club (MLG)

Silvagni will go but for this to be a favourable outcome MLG should go also. He really should and maybe even Judd with him.
MLG had tied himself to Bolton but cut the ties last minute. He's tied himself to SOS and even offered him another job apparently.....To his mate.

Call it an agenda if you want but if the boys club was to be dismantled MLG would be a key ticket to tear up and then we'd have a genuine fresh start.
The way I see it, I think it's quite possible this may come but it's going to take a lot of work prising MLG out of the chair he loves.

I am yet to hear one good reason why SOS should be pushed out.

It’s madness

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
There’s more than 2 camps?

Imo it wouldn’t be anyone from the Liddle camp, it makes no sense, to leak information that puts your job at risk.

The Silvagni camp if it is aggrieved is the opposite, he’s leaving, so leaking information hurts who’s staying.

In all seriousness, who do you think is leaking this stuff? What’s their agenda?
There’s always the possibility, none too remote, that an otherwise neutral camp has considered the information worthy of public consumption.

Last edited:
I am yet to hear one good reason why SOS should be pushed out.

It’s madness

I don't want him to go either, but we could not 'manage' the situation.

Here's what I heard and I must say that some of it could be incorrect and some of it has been raised through the course of the year:
Silvagni has been a thorn in peoples side for some time now, including Boltons. They did not get on.
The real heat started coming on earlier this year when it was realised that SOS wielded too much power at the club.
The heat also contained the way we treated some possible recruits and the way we viewed our later and rookie selections.
Liddle wanted a review of the situation but SOS did not like this idea at all.
Other football department people didn't get on with SOS either and Teague's needs were dismissed. (Big problem)

* I want to see this one play out but it's possible a board member has sided with Liddle, whereas MLG sided with SOS.

This is the interesting part to me should the fight also be in the board room and you know what? It bloody well should be.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
If they can't say anything that doesn't inflame the situation, then they've seriously f’ed up by letting it get to this point.

And yes, the Board should have sorted it out before now, but so should have Liddle. That's part of his job.

Not so sure on that.

This isn't a drug scandal, or a salary cap rort, or betting indiscretion, or an official getting frisky with one of their staff.

This is one employee rumoured to be leaving the club 12 months earlier than planned. The circumstances appear to be based on internal relationships, which is something that should stay internal until both parties are happy for the club to make it public.

There were enough conflicting reports in the lead up to the draft that I believe SOS was, if not undecided, at least holding off on informing the club of any decision. Probably a "let's just get through the draft and then we'll sit down and discuss my future" thing (though his mind may have been made up). If that's the case, then the club should absolutely stay quiet until a decision is reached. We don't need a blow-by-blow to feed the media machine.

It's also possible that the club is/was still hopeful that mediation might be possible, and releasing a public statement sets the course in stone.

My view: the best way to "address" the media speculation is to ignore it, focus on the internal issues, and only release a statement when the decision is final. Fighting the media as a collective is an unwinnable battle, they'll twist statements, "infer" hidden meanings, and quote mystery "sources close to the club" to push whatever agenda they like.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
If SOS is so toxic to the club, why did we offer him a different role?

This whole thing stinks and again the blame seems squarely on mismanagement by the board and president.

I think SOS has done a great job, but the only thing worse than losing good staff, is airing your dirty laundry in the press. Board needs to be challenged at the AGM

Crippa#9

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

why Judd?

Let's give him some time. Yes, the 'training wheels' comment was amateurish but Judd is a man that I believe is perfect for the 'football department' seat on the board. He understands, perhaps more than anyone, what players, coaches & successful football clubs require. He is also a great of this club with three sons and a daughter who can one day don the navy blue.

Let's not get too trigger happy here.

Last edited:

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees

Why should MLG go because of the situation currently? He brought in a bloke that had the cajones to follow through on a vision that had never been attempted before and changed the mindset of the club. Whatever has happened with SOS it’s undeniable that from a list management perspective we have been brought into the 21st century finally.

He’s gone from a part time CEO that was good at selling the message to a CEO that is doing wonderful things off the field and still carrying on the good work Trigg was doing with engagement with the members.

Whether you like MLG or not, he’s done far more right than wrong. I have no doubt MLG will go when he believes the vision and plan he put in train is in a position for someone else to take the reins and run with it, from rumours in here that is likely at the end of next season when SOS was planning to go as well.

As others have said, it would have been nice if SOS left the club in the dignified manner that Bolton did even though I can imagine a lot of Bolton’s frustration would have evolved from what SOS was doing to his playing list - which imo was absolutely the right thing to do.

Rebuilds are not easy, it’s probably the reason no other president has had the cajones to do before

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't want him to go either, but we could not 'manage' the situation.

Here's what I heard and I must say that some of it could be incorrect and some of it has been raised through the course of the year:
Silvagni has been a thorn in peoples side for some time now, including Boltons. They did not get on.
The real heat started coming on earlier this year when it was realised that SOS wielded too much power at the club.
The heat also contained the way we treated some possible recruits and the way we viewed our later and rookie selections.
Liddle wanted a review of the situation but SOS did not like this idea at all.
Other football department people didn't get on with SOS either and Teague's needs were dismissed. (Big problem)

* I want to see this one play out but it's possible a board member has sided with Liddle, whereas MLG sided with SOS.

This is the interesting part to me should the fight also be in the board room and you know what? It bloody well should be.

My concerns with SOS are crystalized by SOS’s statement after this years draft that our pick 20 “was a free hit” - the implication being that we could pick a “reach” or that it didn’t matter if the pick didn’t come off.

These picks that we engineered should not be treated with such profligacy by SOS - they are valuable, whilst Sam Philp May turn into a good player, the percentage play was picking the still available Robertson.

SOS did a similar thing with pick 10 in 2017 Draft reaching for O’Brien.

Does the hard work in engineering additional picks, or trading away valuable assets in Gibbs and Tuohy, them wastes it on reaching picks and overpaying.

It displays a pigheadedness and naivety.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
My concerns with SOS are crystalized by SOS’s statement after this years draft that our pick 20 “was a free hit” - the implication being that we could pick a “reach” or that it didn’t matter if the pick didn’t come off.

These picks that we engineered should not be treated with such profligacy by SOS - they are valuable, whilst Sam Philp May turn into a good player, the percentage play was picking the still available Robertson.

Does the hard work in engineering additional picks, or trading away valuable assets in Gibbs and Tuohy, them wastes it on reaching picks and overpaying.

I think you're reading far too much into a comment made to highlight that the extra pick was a complete freebie, and we didn't have to "compromise" to get it. Wanted Kemp, got Kemp, also got a free hit at 20.

I also think it's clear that Philp was an astute pick up. Sounding like plenty of clubs were interested at the picks following ours. He has a good head on his shoulders, a strong work ethic, and some really impressive athletic attributes. Read the comments from the Knights talent manager, it paints a clear picture. This wasn't a "reach" for the sake of it, it was a targeted acquisition of a player who impressed the hell out of the club's recruiters, and happens to fit the specific needs the coach has apparently laid out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Then Liddle has forgotten recent history as to how are List got so bad, which includes Ratten and Malthouse interfering with decisions on who we drafted / traded.

How did Ratten and Malthouse interfere?
I’m sure all coaches and coaching staff brief their recruiting team about the type of players they want or feel will benefit the team.

why Judd?

Let's give him some time. Yes, the 'training wheels' comment was amateurish but Judd is a man that I believe is perfect for the 'football department' seat on the board. He understands, perhaps more than anyone, what players, coaches & successful football clubs require. He is also a great of this club with three sons....

Let's not get too trigger happy here.

I did say maybe. Judd and SOS are very good 'friends' with MLG and if we're talking about Boys Club...
Judd is somewhat more of a profile for the board than for what he brings to the whole. I may be wrong here though.

Why should MLG go because of the situation currently? He brought in a bloke that had the cajones to follow through on a vision that had never been attempted before and changed the mindset of the club. Whatever has happened with SOS it’s undeniable that from a list management perspective we have been brought into the 21st century finally.

He’s gone from a part time CEO that was good at selling the message to a CEO that is doing wonderful things off the field and still carrying on the good work Trigg was doing with engagement with the members.

Whether you like MLG or not, he’s done far more right than wrong. I have no doubt MLG will go when he believes the vision and plan he put in train is in a position for someone else to take the reins and run with it, from rumours in here that is likely at the end of next season when SOS was planning to go as well.

As others have said, it would have been nice if SOS left the club in the dignified manner that Bolton did even though I can imagine a lot of Bolton’s frustration would have evolved from what SOS was doing to his playing list - which imo was absolutely the right thing to do.

Rebuilds are not easy, it’s probably the reason no other president has had the cajones to do before

A good club (President) would have read the tea-leaves on this situation and tempered it before it spiralled out off control.
Yes, MLG did eventually get SOS after embarrassing himself for going rogue and getting caught with his fingers in the cookie jar after aiming at Wright.

I've never seen MLG as being a good president nor a good figurehead for our club, but this is a personal opinion based on personal observation.
I never saw Kernahan to be a particularly good president either. Terrific ex-player, ordinary president.

It's just the way all this and including Boltons situation, has all played out that I think it's going to be hard for MLG to remain.
I don't know the inner working of the board as a whole, but I could understand a situation where the other members may 'suggest' that it's time for MLG to move on. We'll see, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton

What a ridiculous post.

Example1 - How to reply to a post

I think you're reading far too much into a comment made to highlight that the extra pick was a complete freebie, and we didn't have to "compromise" to get it. Wanted Kemp, got Kemp, also got a free hit at 20.

I also think it's clear that Philp was an astute pick up. Sounding like plenty of clubs were interested at the picks following ours. He has a good head on his shoulders, a strong work ethic, and some really impressive athletic attributes. Read the comments from the Knights talent manager, it paints a clear picture. This wasn't a "reach" for the sake of it, it was a targeted acquisition of a player who impressed the hell out of the club's recruiters, and happens to fit the specific needs the coach has apparently laid out.

Example 2 - How not to reply to a post

What a ridiculous post.

agro as Blue__Balls said -

The inference was that we had Kemp earmarked for our first pick anyway.
We could have just taken him and been happy, but we were daring and still got the man we wanted along with a bonus thrown in.
Philp is exactly the type we needed and we got him for 'nothing'

O'Brien? In retrospect maybe we should have gone for needs (Higgins or Richards) but it may be argued we 'needed' O'Brien also.
It was early in the rebuild so no heat should come on board for that selection just yet.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I have a fairly good insight into how the Richmond FC transitioned from the basket case financially and culturally around 2000 to the club it is today. One of the turning points was getting the old players etc back in embracing the club. Bartlett and Caroline Wilson were high profile people who were anti tigers for a long time due to the admin and culture. When Gale came in he acted like a conduit between the old and the new. he mended bridges and got rid of the problems....Its quite easy to see that this is starting to happen at the Blues as well- look at Diesal , look at some of the recent reunions.

Could it be that Liddle who was Gales rh man , wants to emulate what Gale did and try to finally rid the blues of this bullshit old boys culture? i dont know- just speculating. I know jakschit about whats going on internally .
As the saying goes- to make an omelet you need to break a few eggs. Could it be that SOS is one of those eggs that had to be broken? Too much power with not enough accountability. Could it be that his performance as list manager is irrelevant in the big scheme picture that CL has envisioned. Sure he looks like the messiah coming in after the 2 amateurs he succeeded, but he has had carte blanche , lots of low picks to work with and has done a good job. But is it a job that others could not have done? Maybe, maybe not. As I have stated before, the SOS selections remain full of potential, but to date there are questions over many of them- Walsh being the obvious exception.

If my working theory is correct, that CL is a driven, ambitious CEO who has learnt a lot from Gale at richmond, then there will be forces at work enabling him to make his omelet. I dont know who- I will leave that up to others who might know to fill in the blanks, but the mystery is whether it would be someone like MLG who is close to SOS, but also wants to right the ship, or whether it is someone else .

As I have said , I have no insight into whats happening. I see 2 very competent players in SOS and CL seemingly at war with one another. I do not know the rights and wrongs of the situation. The question is, has CL f’ed up as many are saying? Or has he had some support from somewhere to stir the pot and break a few eggs? Was CL an AFL "suggestion" as CEO? How does the fairly robust support (until it disappeared) for Bolton an honest outsider trying to change our culture, relate to the omelet? Is there a genuine push internally to finally rid ourselves of the last parts of the boys club and change into a modern club ? Is MLG part of the problem? Or part of the solution? There seems to be the emergence of some real agendas on here of late, which always happens- when we go into crisis mode- emotive rhetoric arcs up and the place becomes a s**t fight. Hopefully this wont happen and we can start dealing in some facts .
For mine, I dont have a horse in the race other than our magnificent club. If SOS has to go because he is an egg that has to be broken- fine. If CL has done the wrong thing and gone rogue as some have suggested, then fine - he should go. If MLG has been asleep at the wheel and allowed this all to blow up, when there was no need to- then we need a better President.
Your 2 positions of bringing the club together/mending past fractures and ‘breaking some eggs’ are contradictory.

Thanks HARKER, great that you've taken the time to set us all straight.

But be fair Kramer1
Too many posts here simply go the man and add nothing of value to the conversation.

Sorry to have used that example as i could have picked out many more and I'm not discouraging discourse at all. Quite the contrary.
That isn't a bad thing is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Are you a professional recruiter?
I think you’ll find that clubs rate players in different orders, and neither player was considered a ‘reach’.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
But be fair Kramer1
Too many posts here simply go the man and add nothing of value to the conversation.

Sorry to have used that example as i could have picked out many more and I'm not discouraging discourse at all. Quite the contrary.
That isn't a bad thing is it?
The suggestion that a list manager would engineer a quality pick to then pick up a dart and throw vaguely in the direction of a dart board...and then call them out for naivety...I just...I can't...

I too am trying to encourage quality discourse...just not with a carrot.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
So you want the List Manager, CEO and Pres gone in a 12 month period?

Cain Liddle is a professional. His issue is going into bat for a Senior Coach who wasn't getting listened to. He shouldn't be losing his job for that

Going in to bat for the coach is pretty different to approaching opposition players behind the back of the list manager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back