Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if mentioned, but if you know anyone in the Private Schools footy system, they would laugh you out of the room if you suggested Tom Silvagni could be AFL standard one day. Let’s not let romance get in the way of reality.

I saw him play for Xavier 2’s the day my godson was playing for St Kev’s 1’s. AFL player he isn’t.

Maybe we could get you to scout Auskick and report back to Liddle.

Not sure if mentioned, but if you know anyone in the Private Schools footy system, they would laugh you out of the room if you suggested Tom Silvagni could be AFL standard one day. Let’s not let romance get in the way of reality.

I saw him play for Xavier 2’s the day my godson was playing for St Kev’s 1’s. AFL player he isn’t.

Stepping it up a bit nowadays, Just wait for the obligatory season ending injury about halfway through the season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This backs up what a mate told me (his son goes to Xavier and plays at Oakliegh)

'Identified'.... It's a straw man argument and the club looks absolutely foolish citing it as the reason. No two ways about it.

Maybe to you, and to others who live and breathe the club on forums like this. But to the wider football fanbase who get given their opinions by the odd article here and there, they'll take it at face value and move on pretty quick.

The die-hards will never be appeased, you can see that here all the time. There are people who, even when we enjoy success, find reasons to complain. They've every right to criticise, or demand improvement - it's a form of support, if one I don't subscribe to. But no statement was going to satisfy them.

EDIT: I'm just going to add to, rather than amend my previous comment. I don't want to deny anyone their right to voice their view. I may come across as argumentative at times, but as a general rule it's because I disagree with the content of a post and feel that the discussion benefits from having a contrary opinion offered in response. If I think someone is being unfair or unreasonable, I'll say so, and why, and welcome genuine, considered discussion in return.

Last edited:
Speaks well too does Fraser Brown.
I have the greatest respect for Frazer Brown. The way he refused to give any information in regards to the salary cap breaches was amazing. Sos and Craig Bradley told the afl everything. They of course should never have been put in that situation. They were lost to the club for many years. That was all because the president of the club and the hierarchy involved themselves in the issues of list management. Thought that a few ageing stars could being us another premership. Cost us dearly. So here we are now. Sos comes back at last to the club and has done I think a great job on list management and a Carlton CEO has again involved himself in list management issues. The politics of our club and the admin is seriously bad. The board is responsible. Amazing to think how the Carlton admin has again brought down Silvagni. Bring on Frazer Brown.

My daughter swings hands with a Xavier lad at the minute , the Xav lads I know just can’t get their heads around Tom being AFL standard, he’s shown eff all compared to Jack and Ben at the same stage

Think I remember that being mentioned a few years back as well - or, more so that he was perhaps less committed to footy than the other two.

Jack was thereabouts, Ben was better than Jack, Tom was young but looked like he might not be keen on an AFL career.

Tom only just turned 17.

I wonder what people were saying about Cripps when he was 15/16. I am sure the reviews weren't great either given he was barely 170cm at the time.
Fair enough Jeremias but there seems to be this default position that cause he’s a Silvagni he is destined for our list. The lad needs to show a lot more is the mail I have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have the greatest respect for Frazer Brown. The way he refused to give any information in regards to the salary cap breaches was amazing. Sos and Craig Bradley told the afl everything. They of course should never have been put in that situation. They were lost to the club for many years. That was all because the president of the club and the hierarchy involved themselves in the issues of list management. Thought that a few ageing stars could being us another premership. Cost us dearly. So here we are now. Sos comes back at last to the club and has done I think a great job on list management and a Carlton CEO has again involved himself in list management issues. The politics of our club and the admin is seriously bad. The board is responsible. Amazing to think how the Carlton admin has again brought down Silvagni. Bring on Frazer Brown.
I loved him as a player but my recollection is that he is a pretty firey sought of a person. Likely to clobber someone in a meeting if they disagreed?

What would you know. Jealous school kids making judgements! And they are the experts. Go back to school.

It would be fairly freakish to go 3/3 with the Silvagni boys, you'd expect at least one to not make the grade.

I'm pretty sure Tom was supposed to be the best of the 3 as a kid. Always knew he was going to be a shorter midfielder/flanker type.

I haven't heard much about him for a few years, happy to defer to those who have been watching him.

Didn't make any rep sides last season. He will need a good year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back