Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it would be collaborative, but someone always has the final say

Can't vouch for this year, but previously SOS attended just as many games as the talent identifiers
From a Rebels perspective at least, this is inaccurate.
I'm sure that he got to his share of games but it wasn't his job to be the boots on the ground.

You did that say that he gets to as many games at the scouts though, which is what I was responding to.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Watching games live is very important so please don’t think I’m disregarding it but even back in 2013 we had technology for all under 18 and state league games where you could just search for example Patrick Cripps clearances or Sam Walsh kicks and tackles etc. Hell of a lot of footage we have available.

Just on the conversation above, SOS always picked the players at Carlton. He has an enormous amount of respect for Brodie’s eye though.

Watching games live is very important so please don’t think I’m disregarding it but even back in 2013 we had technology for all under 18 and state league games where you could just search for example Patrick Cripps clearances or Sam Walsh kicks and tackles etc. Hell of a lot of footage we have available.

Just on the conversation above, SOS always picked the players at Carlton. He has an enormous amount of respect for Brodie’s eye though.

Of course mate,
Arrow had stated that SOS would attend as many games as his team which would be inaccurate because he simply doesn't need to in his role, which is what I was responding to.
I've seen firsthand the amount of notes that the scouts compile which would then be fed along to Brodie, Agresta & SOS who'd then run their eye over the various prospects & ultimately decide whether they fit their vision for the list.

Of course mate,
Arrow had stated that SOS would attend as many games as his team which would be inaccurate because he simply doesn't need to in his role, which is what I was responding to.
I've seen firsthand the amount of notes that the scouts compile which would then be fed along to Brodie, Agresta & SOS who'd then run their eye over the various prospects & ultimately decide whether they fit their vision for the list.

Exactly right. It’s the vision for their list that sos has the control over. I can categorically say that a list manager attends to nowhere the amount of games than that of a recruiter.

The recruiters are essentially advisers to the list manager. They do the research and collate the data, and put forward their opinion to the list manager. If the list manager is worth their salt, they’ll listen, but they don’t have to if they don’t want to. The amount of hours the recruiting team spend watching (live) and re-watching games is mind boggling. It is a 6/7 day a week job for 6 months of the year. If you worked at a footy club you would see them every morning as they walked into a little closed off room, and you would see them every evening as they walkout home.

I can you the exact amount of chargers games the then St Kilda list manager (who was no mug) saw in 2015/16. It’s an easy number to remember, it’s 0.

I’m not saying sos does it the same or he doesn’t. But in my experience, as soon you’re title is list manager, you’re role a vastly different.

I'm a bit old school tbh. SOS only worried about SOS when s**t hit the fan re: brown paper bag payments back in his playing days. He was complicit. He rolled. The stains are still on the walls.
Never should've been allowed back at the club. Once bitten.
Culture killer. And here we are.

Do u like where our list is at compared to when he started?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I'm a bit old school tbh. SOS only worried about SOS when s**t hit the fan re: brown paper bag payments back in his playing days. He was complicit. He rolled. The stains are still on the walls.

Wow that certainly is an opinion ......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d call cheating the culture killer m’self.

Sorry, but this is nothing but Elliott propaganda. We got caught through O'Reilly. The board was overthrown. SOS and Bradley went to Ian Collins and told them they were owed extra payments but hadn't been paid. Collins told them to come forward to the AFL so we could move forward completely clean. They did what they were told.

Of course it turned out we had one more skeleton in our closet involving Matthew Allan and his manager and copped a small whack the next year as well.

Would you have rathered we just kept having stuff come out in dribs and drabs and prolong the pain further? We were already gone. On our 3rd strike when the O'Reilly thing went down. SOS and Bradley did the right thing.

Sorry, but this is nothing but Elliott propaganda. We got caught through O'Reilly. The board was overthrown. SOS and Bradley went to Ian Collins and told them they were owed extra payments but hadn't been paid. Collins told them to come forward to the AFL so we could move forward completely clean. They did what they were told.

Of course it turned out we had one more skeleton in our closet involving Matthew Allan and his manager and copped a small whack the next year as well.

Would you have rathered we just kept having stuff come out in dribs and drabs and prolong the pain further? We were already gone. On our 3rd strike when the O'Reilly thing went down. SOS and Bradley did the right thing.

I'm surprised to this day how many still do not realise this and stuck in a John Elliott thinking bubble.
Open Mike when SOS was on it eons ago made that clear.

I believe SOS and Braddles never got paid what they were owed from the Elliott regime time too. It was a ****ed up situation Elliott regime put them in when they found out we were outside the cap.

Quickly becoming apparent that SOS completely massacred our rebuild. We have zero depth to our list. And some of the talent which we thought was top-end is actually not so.

when you look back at SOS’ pick
-ups from 2015-2018, only 1-in-5 can be considered a “pass”. Nearly 63% were a bust.

can’t help but feel we’ve completely butchered this rebuild (again).

Pass:
Sam Walsh
Zac Fisher
Jacob Weitering
Harry McKay
Charlie Curnow
David Cuningham
Jack Silvagni
Nic Newman
Lachie Plowman
Matthew Wright

Who knows:
Liam Stocker
Tom De Koning
Tom Williamson
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Mitch McGovern
Will Setterfield
Matthew Cottrell
Michael Gibbons
Caleb Marchbank

Fail:
Joshua Deluca
Finbar O'Dwyer
Ben Silvagni
Hugh Goddard
Tomas Bug
Paddy Dow
Lochie O'Brien
Angus Schumacher
Jarrod Garlett
Cameron O'Shea
Matt Shaw
Harrison Macreadie
Cameron Polson
Pat Kerr
Kym LeBois
Alex Silvagni
Andrew Gallucci
Jesse Glass-McCasker
Matt Owies
Alex Fasolo
Cillain mcdaid
Matt Kennedy
Darcy Lang
Matthew Lobbe
Aaron Mullett
Rhys Palmer
Billie Smedts
Same Kerridge
Jed Lamb
Andrew Phillips
Liam Sumner
Daniel Gorringe

Pass = 10 (19.6%)
Unknown = 9 (17.6%)
Fail = 32 (62.7%)

Quickly becoming apparent that SOS completely massacred our rebuild. We have zero depth to our list. And some of the talent which we thought was top-end is actually not so.

-ups from 2015-2018, only 1-in-5 can be considered a “pass”. Nearly 63% were a bust.

Pass:
Sam Walsh
Zac Fisher
Jacob Weitering
Harry McKay
Charlie Curnow
David Cuningham
Jack Silvagni
Nic Newman
Lachie Plowman
Matthew Wright

Who knows:
Liam Stocker
Tom De Koning
Tom Williamson
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Mitch McGovern
Will Setterfield
Matthew Cottrell
Michael Gibbons
Caleb Marchbank

Fail:
Joshua Deluca
Finbar O'Dwyer
Ben Silvagni
Hugh Goddard
Tomas Bug
Paddy Dow
Lochie O'Brien
Angus Schumacher
Jarrod Garlett
Cameron O'Shea
Matt Shaw
Harrison Macreadie
Cameron Polson
Pat Kerr
Kym LeBois
Alex Silvagni
Andrew Gallucci
Jesse Glass-McCasker
Matt Owies
Alex Fasolo
Cillain mcdaid
Matt Kennedy
Darcy Lang
Matthew Lobbe
Aaron Mullett
Rhys Palmer
Billie Smedts
Same Kerridge
Jed Lamb
Andrew Phillips
Liam Sumner
Daniel Gorringe

Pass = 10 (19.6%)
Unknown = 9 (17.6%)
Fail = 32 (62.7%)
Crazy post

Pass:
Sam Walsh
Zac Fisher
Jacob Weitering
Harry McKay
Charlie Curnow
David Cuningham
Jack Silvagni
Nic Newman
Lachie Plowman
Matthew Wright

Who knows:
Liam Stocker
Tom De Koning
Tom Williamson
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Mitch McGovern
Will Setterfield
Matthew Cottrell
Michael Gibbons
Caleb Marchbank

Fail:
Joshua Deluca
Finbar O'Dwyer
Ben Silvagni
Hugh Goddard
Tomas Bug
Paddy Dow
Lochie O'Brien
Angus Schumacher
Jarrod Garlett
Cameron O'Shea
Matt Shaw
Harrison Macreadie
Cameron Polson
Pat Kerr
Kym LeBois
Alex Silvagni
Andrew Gallucci
Jesse Glass-McCasker
Matt Owies
Alex Fasolo
Cillain mcdaid
Matt Kennedy
Darcy Lang
Matthew Lobbe
Aaron Mullett
Rhys Palmer
Billie Smedts
Same Kerridge
Jed Lamb
Andrew Phillips
Liam Sumner
Daniel Gorringe

Pass = 10 (19.6%)
Unknown = 9 (17.6%)
Fail = 32 (62.7%)

Adding in deadwood that cost us nothing is mischievous.

Pass:
Sam Walsh
Zac Fisher
Jacob Weitering
Harry McKay
Charlie Curnow
David Cuningham
Jack Silvagni
Nic Newman
Lachie Plowman
Matthew Wright

Who knows:
Liam Stocker
Tom De Koning
Tom Williamson
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Mitch McGovern
Will Setterfield
Matthew Cottrell
Michael Gibbons
Caleb Marchbank

Fail:
Joshua Deluca
Finbar O'Dwyer
Ben Silvagni
Hugh Goddard
Tomas Bug
Paddy Dow
Lochie O'Brien
Angus Schumacher
Jarrod Garlett
Cameron O'Shea
Matt Shaw
Harrison Macreadie
Cameron Polson
Pat Kerr
Kym LeBois
Alex Silvagni
Andrew Gallucci
Jesse Glass-McCasker
Matt Owies
Alex Fasolo
Cillain mcdaid
Matt Kennedy
Darcy Lang
Matthew Lobbe
Aaron Mullett
Rhys Palmer
Billie Smedts
Same Kerridge
Jed Lamb
Andrew Phillips
Liam Sumner
Daniel Gorringe

Pass = 10 (19.6%)
Unknown = 9 (17.6%)
Fail = 32 (62.7%)
Owies, Dow and O'Brien are still listed, and I look forward to them forcing you to eat your words.

Owies, Dow and O'Brien are still listed, and I look forward to them forcing you to eat your words.
Dow and O’Brien are top 10 picks in their fourth years, who can not get a game in a bog average team with a sizeable injury list

they are busts

Dow and O’Brien are top 10 picks in their fourth years, who can not get a game in a bog average team with a sizeable injury list

they are busts
You do not watch football outside of the ones, and we are lucky to have you grace us with your presence when we lose. Suffice to say, I treat your opinion with what it deserves; the same consideration I would provide an ant crawling in my kitchen.

Shoo, and put the bread away!

What's the counterfactual besides hindsight on draft picks?

His main failing was to recruit injury prone bargain players in the hope they'd come good.

Setterfield and McGovern, sure.

The players we got to provide hard bodies for a team full of kids, are neither her nor there. The likes of Phillips and Sumner were purely salary dumps in order to get Plowman for cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back