Scandal Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. I think it's best when the star player works elsewhere in their post-playing era. They can't leave the ego at the door. KB was no Ron Barassi when it came to coaching and the way he sooked after his contract wasn't renewed (wasn't sacked) was a disgrace. Made me cringe every time he banged on about us once we started winning flags again. Sounds like the SOS stuff is very similar

Yep, his win-loss ratio was around the 25% mark. Just another champion player who was a potato of a coach.

The whole ‘KB will never set foot in Punt Rd again’ saga was just about the most overblown football story of the last 30-40 years.

That and the ‘Whispers in the sky’ dross

I reckon he takes things a bit more personally than others which would generate the outcomes as they are. It was a long time before he went back to Carlton in the first place and it was the side that reached out to him. He probably feels slighted from his recent departure and wants nothing to do with them. I've been unlucky enough to be in a conversation with Brendan Bolton and can understand SOS not wanting to engage with him.

SOS has been a knob for a long long time. What kind of knob sits in the airport lounge before a big game when he is a star player, and refuses to board the plane until he gets a desperate guarantee on his wished for inflated contract.

What a group...Dodoro, SOS, Lyon, Bundy Rendell.

I reckon he takes things a bit more personally than others which would generate the outcomes as they are. It was a long time before he went back to Carlton in the first place and it was the side that reached out to him. He probably feels slighted from his recent departure and wants nothing to do with them. I've been unlucky enough to be in a conversation with Brendan Bolton and can understand SOS not wanting to engage with him.

Go on...

Nothing especially juicy mate. I've met a few throughout my life from SANFL to AFL level and some you talk to you understand how they inspire men to greater things...Bolton was sort of like the opposite of that. I get that people will think "but but Hawthorn" but from the times I spoke with him, I was happy when I could get away*

*To be fair, he probably thought the same thing about me

SOS has been a knob for a long long time. What kind of knob sits in the airport lounge before a big game when he is a star player, and refuses to board the plane until he gets a desperate guarantee on his wished for inflated contract.

What a group...Dodoro, SOS, Lyon, Bundy Rendell.
Did this really happen?

He's certainly painted as one here

- As everybody knows, he sat outside in the car recently while the rest of the family joined Jack in the Carlton rooms for his 100th game

- Doesn't get on with any of his former teammates except Craig Bradley. “The hardest thing in the world would be to reunite the ’95 premiership team members,” one former Blue said. “A lot of that is because of SOS.”

- When Brendon Bolton dropped Jack, Stephen cracked the shits and stopped talking to him. Fairly amazing behaviour for a list manager toward a senior coach

- Cain Liddle therefore decided SOS had to go. SOS just ignored him and decided he only had to answer to the president (and his good friend) Mark LoGiudice.

- LoGiudice eventually had to sack SOS himself, bit of a bizarre thing for a president to have to do, but it's like SOS wouldn't accept it from anybody else. He left and no longer speaks to LoGiudice

- Brian Cook, who replaced Liddle as Carlton CEO in 2022, says he is somewhat confused and disappointed by the strained relationship with the club great. “In a nutshell I haven’t spent a lot of time on it, I’ve asked various people and got various commentary,” Cook said. “If someone said to me to try to explain the relationship, I couldn’t."

Is this some sort of hit job? Is there another side to the story or is he just a dickhead?
when it all comes down to it who GAF ,it happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What kind of knob sits in the airport lounge before a big game when he is a star player, and refuses to board the plane until he gets a desperate guarantee on his wished for inflated contract.
A "knob" who is very well aware that the brown paper bags can hold a little bit more weight.

The biggest concern out of all this is how the * has Jack Silvagni played 100 AFL games?

Carlton will never with a GF with Jack Silvagni in the their side.

Appointing favourite sons to key posts is always a risk. If it goes south, which at some point it probably will, you’re left with fallout like this.

There was nothing to suggest SOS was so good at his job he was clearly the best option for Carlton. Should have steered clear.

As yes it does read like he’s a self-absorbed campaigner.

the word is that the AFL threatened to take away the personal accolades if he did not rat out his teammates. He is genuinely disliked by the majority of them as a result.

Still nowhere near the depths of Greg Williams who is a genuine scumbag for reasons that I know but can’t post here.

True story - my son was playing against Jack Silvagni in junior cricket. SOS turns up 30 minutes after the game has started & as he walks past the scorers he is reminded by a father in his team that he is rostered on to score.

SOS Replies - mate I can’t - don’t know how.

Dad responds - no worries sit down & we will show you it’s not that difficult.

SOS - nah mate I don’t think so & walks away & sits with 2 other dads on the other side of the ground laughing away!

Meanwhile Jo is in the deck chair miles away from anyone else on the phone for 3 hours - I just want to be alone!

My other son also played soccer with Sam Newman’s son - in the middle of Winter he would stand on the opposite side of the pitch all alone with his shorts on - look at me - but I just want to be alone!

3 Knobs!

True story - my son was playing against Jack Silvagni in junior cricket. SOS turns up 30 minutes after the game has started & as he walks past the scorers he is reminded by a father in his team that he is rostered on to score.

SOS Replies - mate I can’t - don’t know how.

Dad responds - no worries sit down & we will show you it’s not that difficult.

SOS - nah mate I don’t think so & walks away & sits with 2 other dads on the other side of the ground laughing away!

Meanwhile Jo is in the deck chair miles away from anyone else on the phone for 3 hours - I just want to be alone!

My other son also played soccer with Sam Newman’s son - in the middle of Winter he would stand on the opposite side of the pitch all alone with his shorts on - look at me - but I just want to be alone!

3 Knobs!

This is peak big footy, Bloke wears shorts in winter, instant knob.

Imagine if he wore socks with sandals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back