Nostradamus Lives Stephen SOS Silvagni sacked from Carlton. Tom Browne upgraded to CCC- Junk Bond rating

Remove this Banner Ad

If I'm reading this right, it seems to me Silvagni and Little have very different opinions on the direction of the club. It probably wasn't one thing, but a number of issues leading up to the decision. Certainly this trade period seems to have strained the relationship to breaking point.

Never nice when a club legend is shown the door.
liddle came from a club that has won 2 flags in 3 years and knows what it takes. sos has shown time and time again that he is severely incompetent .

still think carlton is a boys club with the pratts pulling too many strings but liddle knows his s**t and will try to do his best. they will prob show him the door in the end too lol

Astbury is OK for a dour role player, and the Richmond lineup contains many similar low-ceiling but decent output types.

Weitering has far better AFL IQ, composure and foot skills and is still building, whereas Astbury is currently playing to his (reasonably low) peak.

Next you’ll be telling us Ivan Soldo is a better ruckman than Kreuzer, and Dion Prestia is an better mid than Crippa.

Astbury is OK for a dour role player, and the Richmond lineup contains many similar low-ceiling but decent output types.

Weitering has far better AFL IQ, composure and foot skills and is still building, whereas Astbury is currently playing to his (reasonably low) peak.

Next you’ll be telling us Ivan Soldo is a better ruckman than Kreuzer, and Dion Prestia is an better mid than Crippa.
Astbury is a top shelf defender. I suggest you have a closer look at him because he is much better than what you think he is. Weitering is nowhere near his standard.

I'd like to tip my hat in as a Carlton supporter: there's no way Weitering is better than Astbury. Maybe in a few years, perhaps, but not now. Astbury has filled the hole magnificently for Rance and is probably even more underrated with him in the side because he quietly shuts down forwards more effectively. He reminds me of Presti in that he's super-consistent but didn't get the kudos.

liddle came from a club that has won 2 flags in 3 years and knows what it takes. sos has shown time and time again that he is severely incompetent .
As a CEO, sure. But he's not a player recruiter/scouter. It is still too early to tell what Silvagni's impact will be, come back in a few years. If we're still headless chooks by then, then by all means.

Astbury is a top shelf defender. I suggest you have a closer look at him because he is much better than what you think he is. Weitering is nowhere near his standard.

You should probably have a better look at Weitering. Not only great defensively, provides good rebound, has exceptional skills for his size, and an elite kick.

He’s currently a superior player to Astbury, and he’s only going to get better as those around him improve and his continues his upward trajectory.

It’s also far easier to perform in an established backline, with two star key position defenders around you. Weitering has been exceptional given the circumstances - especially as Docherty has been injured the past few seasons, and leads the backline when he’s in. Weitering has largely taken on the responsibility of co-ordinating the backline in his absence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still think carlton is a boys club with the pratts pulling too many strings but liddle knows his s**t and will try to do his best. they will prob show him the door in the end too lol
I understand what your saying, but it's all moot now. No need to keep kicking a dead horse.

I, for one, loved watching him as a player. High flying teenager, turned defender. Played against, and with, the greats. We should be so lucky we still have personalities like him.

Even better he gave me one of the best Dennis's of all time: "like a good hair spray, capable of a subtable hold".

No Pav, No St Nick, No SOS... It's the end of an era.

Funny thing about our wonderful AFL game - it's a team sport and yes there is room for individual brilliance but ultimately it is a team sport. The talented players can enhance the team but the whole team united are what makes a successful Premiership side. Astbury and Prestia are now duel premiership players and Soldo has now been awarded his first premiership medal. Hmm premierships or better individual player :think:

The strength of the whole club starts from the top and this looks like where SOS and the Carlton hierarchy are not so united.

Funny thing about our wonderful AFL game - it's a team sport and yes there is room for individual brilliance but ultimately it is a team sport. The talented players can enhance the team but the whole team united are what makes a successful Premiership side. Astbury and Prestia are now duel premiership players and Soldo has now been awarded his first premiership medal. Hmm premierships or better individual player :think:

The strength of the whole club starts from the top and this looks like where SOS and the Carlton hierarchy are not so united.

This is exactly my point. They benefit from the system, and having a team with enough shared experience and discipline from playing together over a number of years, so they really don’t do much heavy lifting at all.

Put Astbury into Weitering’s role as the co-ordinator of our defence, and he’s not nearly as effective. He doesn’t same the same ground level skills, the read, or the ability to work his way through a situation as Weitering does. Weitering on the whole is far more well-rounded than Astbury, who’s more of a conventional stopper.

He plays his role well, but that’s expected of a player who’s been playing in the same defence over a number of years, with some top end senior talent around him. Weitering in contrast is currently playing with Jones, who’s played 50 games in defence, Marchbank and Plowman. A pretty solid group, but without the same level of experience, and currently minus Docherty who’s an exceptional organiser and defender in his own right.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back