Nostradamus Lives Stephen SOS Silvagni sacked from Carlton. Tom Browne upgraded to CCC- Junk Bond rating

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
LOL. The bar you set for a ‘great’ game is extremely low.

There should be an expectation that that SOS recruited group would have contributed more than 7.5 games on average per player before leaving the club. But then again, you think that’s perfectly acceptable. Because they were ‘free’, right?
Correct. In my eyes anyone picked up for free or extremely late in the draft I don't really expect to make an impact. If they do it's a bonus.

It's just a weird stat to talk about - I have literally never heard anyone mention 'average games per delisted players in each club'.

Further looking into it, it actually makes no sense why you're bringing it up?

Hawthorn delisted 6 players all recruited under the current regime, and 4 of them played less than 13 games. The other 2 played less than 50.

WCE delisted 9 players (not including Chris Masten as he was recruited under an old regime), the average games played was 9, and 5 of them didn't play a game. So I assume WCE list manager needs to be looked at?

I cbf looking through every other team but considering this groundbreaking measurement you have spotted feel free to do so.

I'm glad we are not giving games to blokes not up to AFL standard, there are 44 players on a list and there'll never be a time where every single player is senior AFL standard. I'd be annoyed if we pumped 18-20 games into players and we end up delisting them, would rather give the games to kids who will be on our list long term, which we are doing.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Correct. In my eyes anyone picked up for free or extremely late in the draft I don't really expect to make an impact. If they do it's a bonus.

Yes, this is where we differ.
If a player picked up by us doesn’t have some sort of impact, I consider it a failed pick. Regardless of what it cost us. They can’t all work out by the way.

The excuse that a player can fill a list spot and contribute very little but it’s ok because they didn’t cost a lot in draft picks is laughable. The mid season draft is the perfect example of a wasted opportunity by your list manager.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, this is where we differ.
If a player picked up by us doesn’t have some sort of impact, I consider it a failed pick. Regardless of what it cost us. They can’t all work out by the way.

The excuse that a player can fill a list spot and contribute very little but it’s ok because they didn’t cost a lot in draft picks is laughable. The mid season draft is the perfect example of a wasted opportunity by your list manager.
Re-read what you just posed.

"If a player is picked but doesn't have an impact, i consider it a failed pick"
"The excuse that a player can fill a list spot but contribute very little but it's ok because they didnt cost a lot in draft picks is laughable"

Followed up by

"They can't all work out by the way".

Again I ask what point are you trying to make? Your games per delisted player was proven to be one of the dumber stats someone has bought up, now you're openly contradicting yourself. What's your standard pass for a list manager in the off season? If a club picks up 7 players and 3 of them go on to play 200 games, but the other 4 are delisted 4 years later - is that a fail or a pass?

Across the entire AFL only 17% of drafted players go onto play 100+ games, yet you're here stating that there is no room for list fillers and every single player on the list of 44 should be making an impact.

Last edited:

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Re-read what you just posed.

"If a player is picked but doesn't have an impact, i consider it a failed pick"
"The excuse that a player can fill a list spot but contribute very little but it's ok because they didnt cost a lot in draft picks is laughable"

Followed up by

"They can't all work out by the way".

Again I ask what point are you trying to make? Your games per delisted player was proven to be one of the dumber stats someone has bought up, now you're openly contradicting yourself. What's your standard pass for a list manager in the off season? If a club picks up 7 players and 3 of them go on to play 200 games, but the other 4 are delisted 4 years later - is that a fail or a pass?

Across the entire AFL only 17% of drafted players go onto play 100+ games, yet you're here stating that there is no room for list fillers and every single player on the list of 44 should be making an impact.
Not sure what you don’t understand.

List managers don’t get them all right.

But the expectation should be that every player drafted has an impact for their club. Otherwise it should be seen as a failed pick.

The statements above aren’t mutually exclusive.

Less than a handful of games from your draftees that were drafted by SOS and delisted this year by SOS should be seen as failed picks.

You don’t need to analyse it any further.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure what you don’t understand.

List managers don’t get them all right.

But the expectation should be that every player drafted has an impact for their club. Otherwise it should be seen as a failed pick.

The statements above aren’t mutually exclusive.

Less than a handful of games from your draftees that were drafted by SOS and delisted this year by SOS should be seen as failed picks.

You don’t need to analyse it any further.
If that's your expectation it's an unrealistic one. As I said, 17% of draftees go onto play 100+ games, less than 30% go on to play 50. So expecting every single draft pick every single year to make an impact is, well.. unrealistic.

Not including this year, SOS has bought in 50-odd players, off the top of my head I'd back 14 of them to play 100+ games (not including players where the jury is still out on like Dow and O'Brien), that's still looking far above the AFL average. So what's the obsession with SOS compares to other list managers?

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
If that's your expectation it's an unrealistic one. As I said, 17% of draftees go onto play 100+ games, less than 30% go on to play 50. So expecting every single draft pick every single year to make an impact is, well.. unrealistic.

Not including this year, SOS has bought in 50-odd players, off the top of my head I'd back 14 of them to play 100+ games (not including players where the jury is still out on like Dow and O'Brien), that's still looking far above the AFL average. So what's the obsession with SOS compares to other list managers?

Not predicting doom and gloom but the quality of the players in terms of pure football skill and related knowledge from the draft has over recent times been declining.

The worrying figure that's supports this notion is that a third of draftees and barely playing two seasons of football at AFL level.
As some keen observers of the game state (rarely the media) this is mainly due to the focus on the level of the players athletic ability which has resulted in the trend of recruiting athletes who play footy, not naturally gifted footballers. This may sound like semantics but it's not.

A recent example is James Worpel who debuted only 18 months ago and recently won the Hawks B&F, yet he was pick 45...?

This trend is no doubt also a contributing factor with the poor quality of football we have been witnessing over recent years.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Who are the 14 players you are backing in to play 100 games for the Blues that SOS drafted?

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Who are the 14 players you are backing in to play 100 games for the Blues that SOS drafted?
Weitering
Curnow
McKay
Marchbank
Plowman
De Koning
Walsh
SPS
Cunningham
Stocker
Setterfield
McGovern
Fisher
Newman
Silvagni J

Could go either way

Dow
O’Brien
Williamson

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Weitering
Curnow
McKay
Marchbank
Plowman
De Koning
Walsh
SPS
Cunningham
Stocker
Setterfield
McGovern
Fisher
Newman
Silvagni J

Could go either way

Dow
O’Brien
Williamson
Thanks for putting your money where your mouth is. Many don’t.

Personally reckon there’s a few in that list that are iffy based on what they have produced and won’t crack 100 games for your side. As we know not all players live up to what we expect of them. Hope those ones do for you guys.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Is that what was on offer? I could barely understand most of that gibberish. Particularly that third sentence.
What he was saying was that Carlton under Teague are Moral finalists , and Moral premiers

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Love this thread. Carlton trolls Buzza and Richthingo trolling for bites.

Very sad individuals spending as much time Trolling on Carlton boards as they do on their own boards.
Just don’t reply to them and keep posting the positivity. It will overwhelm them eventually. Just the carlton Teague train eventually will. Please do t reply to me Richmond trolls you won’t make a dent.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
So you're just making up numbers?
Nah I looked it up. You can check also if you want.

Since 2016 when SOS took over, of all the players he has bought in, 50% remain on the list. Since 2016 of Hine’s recruits, 46% remain on the list. My attention to detail isn’t my strongest point though so happy for someone else to check.
Please help me understand...

SOS live trades picks 22 and 55, to trade up to pick 20. Then uses pick 20 on a smokey who was likely to go at the end of the second round?

Surely he's just taking the p1ss now?!?
If I had to guess I’d say it’s because Richmond were keen on Phlip as they took a player similar in the pick just after ours in Dow. Richmond love project players who are quick so it’s not that hard to believe. Surely you could’ve put 2 and 2 together yourself whilst sitting on your recliner necking VB’s watching SOS last night.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Please help me understand...

SOS live trades picks 22 and 55, to trade up to pick 20. Then uses pick 20 on a smokey who was likely to go at the end of the second round?

Surely he's just taking the p1ss now?!?
You just don't understand do you?

Back