Nostradamus Lives Stephen SOS Silvagni sacked from Carlton. Tom Browne upgraded to CCC- Junk Bond rating

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking about the news is "trolling"?
No just some of the really ignorant responses here. Blind Freddy can see what Carlton have done to their list in the past four years. They have absolutely cleaned it out and relied on a rebuild via the draft. This can take some time and hopefully it starts paying dividends soon. I don't get the hostility. If we didn't clean out our list we would have just remained a middle of the road team with no prospects of winning a flag. What's the big deal? If you look at our list specifically the age demographic it is obvious we will enter our period of success in 2022 onwards when the bulk of our list moves from being 18 - 22 to 24 - 28

Yep, quite a similar result to 2016.

A win against top side at the time, then, wins against 10th, 11th, 12th, 16th, 17th, 18th.

Completely different list composition since then, with a lot of the heavy lifting left to Docherty, Gibbs and Touhy in that season, and then Gibbs and Doc the following year.

I would like to take a moment to thank SOS for screwing up Carlton's list for a further five years! As a neutral supporter, it has been great seeing SOS achieve worse then mediocre results for Carlton every season.

Maybe we should take the Dodoro approach and overpay for blokes like Shiel.

I would like to take a moment to thank SOS for screwing up Carlton's list for a further five years! As a neutral supporter, it has been great seeing SOS achieve worse then mediocre results for Carlton every season.
You are the lowest of the low on Big Footy. Absolutely bottom of the barrel in terms of reasonable posters. Your bias against Carlton is so transparent that no one with half a brain would take anything you say seriously. Just here to stir the pot.

Completely different list composition since then, with a lot of the heavy lifting left to Docherty, Gibbs and Touhy in that season, and then Gibbs and Doc the following year.
Of course it’s a completely different list. It’s four years on.

All clubs make significant changes in that time.

There are 26 names on the Richmond 2016 senior list that aren’t there today. 25 from Carlton. I’d imagine you could pick any club out and have similar numbers.

But the results on field haven’t changed.

There are 26 names on the Richmond 2016 senior list that aren’t there today. 25 from Carlton. I’d imagine you could pick any club out and have similar numbers.

Our list still has a serious imbalance to it. Obviously we have alot of talented kids, and some veterans that are still going strong. Its our lack of players in the 24-28 age bracket that is really hurting us at the moment. We've effectively rebuilt our list from the ground up.

At least you're capable of spelling his nick name correctly.

Could say the same for Dodoro also as to the state of your teams list...he's been there far longer and achieved zilch....also similar to what you've achieved on this forum - donuts.

It’s all down to how we’re managing the contributions of players, which you’ve missed in my previous point.

Murphy, Curnow et al are still playing well, Simpson has regressed, Cripps has improved, but far more responsibility and hence expectation has been heaped upon Curnow, McKay didn’t play in 2016, SPS wasn’t drafted but is a key player between HB and the wing, Walsh has been added, Setterfield, Weitering has refined his game since then.

There’s far less reliance on our older brigade as players are bedding themselves as more than part-time contributors, which is the natural order of things. Look at how little heavy lifting Richmond’s younger players do - and they don’t need to because your high end talent are responsible for this.

6-5 in the back half of the year shows we are trending upward, and our squad are still mostly in the early stages of their careers. There’s far more organic growth in young players, rather than playing guys like Armfield, Simon White and Nick Graham, who were playing to their potential.

Can we start a GofundMe campaign to keep SOS? Seriously it all starts with the inept board full of people too close to the club for too long namely LoGiudice, Pratt and Judd. Luke Sayers is on so many boards, how can he deliver results to any and keep his PWC gig and Chris Townsend appears to be only on the board to improve IKON paddock. Long may they stay at the helm and now SOS has nothing to do, he should put his hand up to jump on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe he wasn't sacked sooner. When we picked him up to start the rebuild, it was meant to be 3 years till we won the first flag out our 3-peat.

It definitely wasn't a more long term plan, the results of which have not remotely been seen yet considering half the best 22 is still under 22.

Can't believe he wasn't sacked sooner. When we picked him up to start the rebuild, it was meant to be 3 years till we won the first flag out our 3-peat.

It definitely wasn't a more long term plan, the results of which have not remotely been seen yet considering half the best 22 is still under 22.
The funniest thing about this comment is that there are actually people who unironically think this.

Phew, I thought SOS was gone, had to read this far to find out he hasn't, so pleased he's still got his hand on the the rudder. His genius in not trading for Martin but getting him for free in the PSD is masterstroke stuff, long may he stay

It’s all down to how we’re managing the contributions of players, which you’ve missed in my previous point.

Murphy, Curnow et al are still playing well, Simpson has regressed, Cripps has improved, but far more responsibility and hence expectation has been heaped upon Curnow, McKay didn’t play in 2016, SPS wasn’t drafted but is a key player between HB and the wing, Walsh has been added, Setterfield, Weitering has refined his game since then.

There’s far less reliance on our older brigade as players are bedding themselves as more than part-time contributors, which is the natural order of things. Look at how little heavy lifting Richmond’s younger players do - and they don’t need to because your high end talent are responsible for this.

6-5 in the back half of the year shows we are trending upward, and our squad are still mostly in the early stages of their careers. There’s far more organic growth in young players, rather than playing guys like Armfield, Simon White and Nick Graham, who were playing to their potential.

'Armfield, White and Graham' highlight the real issue at Carlton which has for a long time been the clubs lack of a strong talent base.

I was having a debate (after too many beers) recently with a close friend, a blues tragic, who was as usual trying to defend Carlton's list management.
Sadly, Carlton is easy prey mainly because their huge turnover of players, coaches and related others over the past 20 years has essentially resulted in very little.

The main issue from my observation is that despite many years of low 1st and 2nd round draft picks and trading in the likes of Judd and Thomas etc. the Blues have rarely had five or six A-grade players all in the team for consistent periods and without such a talent base to build a team around it's very difficult to win games of footy.

To be blunt, with Gold Coast the exception, no other teams in the league have failed to develop a talent base like Carlton (although the Saints are not far behind in recent times). Is it just bad luck with draft picks and/or poor list management and/or poor development systems and/or poor coaching and/or other club leadership/cultural issues...?

Since 2000 I'd estimate the Blues have had 400 or so players come and go, but to highlight the lack of talent I could count on one hand the number of former players who have gone on to play at other clubs and been part of their best 22 - Kennedy, Betts, Grigg, Waite, Tuohy are recent examples.

On a positive note I think the Blues are on the right track with their current list and with Teague as coach, so accordingly they 'should' climb up the ladder next season - and for what it's worth I doubt SOS staying or going will change that.

Last edited:
H
Not sure about the trolling but lets be honest. It would be hard for Carlton not to improve.

Let’s hope for the competitions sake the basket case of the past 20 years can get back to their old arrogant selves.

AFL will be a better competition when brown paper bags are back in vogue and the Blues are flying again.
ave you had a look at the aints track record since 1964 ...lolzzie..

I propose we start a social media campaign to try and keep SOS in his job.

#keepSOSatCarltoon
So when we start winning. Or when we beat richmond round 1 who is going to be thanked. You guys on here are ridiculous. Sos is a miracle worker. You forget how far back carlton were 4 years ago. He turned Henderson (delisted 2 years later) in mckay. He turned bell (delisted and s**t) into Curnow. You all are ******* trolls. I could list 5/6 more brilliant moments that every other club list managers’ couldn’t hold a candle to. Yes he made some late pick and rookie mistakes but * me I could list just any many * ups from other clubs managers. The only reason you guys write this rubbish is due to the historic jealousy. A hatred to bring a great man down. He will forever be known as a saviour to Carlton people. A statue will be erected in his honour very shortly. Move on you just won a premiership.

Can we start a GofundMe campaign to keep SOS? Seriously it all starts with the inept board full of people too close to the club for too long namely LoGiudice, Pratt and Judd. Luke Sayers is on so many boards, how can he deliver results to any and keep his PWC gig and Chris Townsend appears to be only on the board to improve IKON paddock. Long may they stay at the helm and now SOS has nothing to do, he should put his hand up to jump on the board.
So Once we start moving up the ladder and all that hard work done can be gifted to the next group. Why is Carlton such a story to the many that post on the main board. It’s the monogram isn’t it. In its glory. Blues are coming. Your mob should be scared. Watched a Bolton led midfield of fisher SPS cripps and Dow Annihilate your list early in the year. Watched Charlie nearly best your mob the second time single handed. But dogs are top four contenders. Blues not so much. Sos brought all those mentioned players in by smart trading. He’s always going to be known as a superstar blue.

In 2016, Brisbane won 2 games and Carlton won 7 games. In 2019, Brisbane won 16 games and Carlton again won 7

Highlighted players were on their club’s list in 2016.

2019 John Nicholls Medal leaderboard
  1. Patrick Cripps (143 votes)
  2. Ed Curnow (138 votes)
  3. Lachie Plowman (134 votes)
  4. Sam Walsh (125 votes)
  5. Levi Casboult (116 votes)
  6. Jacob Weitering (110 votes)
  7. Liam Jones (95 votes)
  8. Marc Murphy (88 votes)
  9. Kade Simpson (87 votes)
  10. Sam Petrevski-Seton (68 votes)
2019 BRISBANE B&F TOP 10

1. Lachie Neale
2. Dayne Zorko
3. Hugh McCluggage
4. Daniel Rich
5. Jarryd Lyons
6. Stefan Martin
7. Charlie Cameron
8. Darcy Gardiner
9. Mitch Robinson
10. Harris Andrews

Brisbane have added 4 top 7 B&F players to their list in 3 off-seasons. Carlton have added 1.

Presented without comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back