Opinion Stephen Wells

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the trade table before deadline eagles offered both second rounders and a future second cats wanted both seconds and a future first and the eagles told them to get ****ed

Seriously 3 x 2nd rounders is overs as is asking for more is ridiculous cats think he’s prime Ablett jnr or some s**t

Could also be a case of them giving kelly the finger for saying Perth for family reasons yet no interest in freo

Can't rewrite history

Agreed, obviously it's subjective and you've got a dog in the fight with the Clark situation (actually don't really know what your referring to really) but I would say, IMO that Wells and Geelong have been a very fair club to deal with. When they have wanted players and enticed them, they pay the piper and get the job done. Did it with us on Henderson and Tuohy, more than fair with Adelaide on Dangerfield, gave a fair whack (prob too much) to St. Kilda for Stanley to get it over with quickly and move on etc etc and they generally get their players where they need/want to go given the situation is reasonable and act in a reasonable manner, perhaps when they could squeeze more. Just my opinion I guess...

Last edited:
Geelong midfield
Doesn't say much when a guy running at 14% disposal efflciency and one sided gets second in a b/f

Over hyped
Geelong Tried to inflate his value to **** west coast

So if he's a top 10 trade at his age
Try this lot
Yeo
Sidey
Mitchell
Cripps
Oliver
Seir
Rayner
Stephenson
Neale
Redan
Shuey
Ward
All are more attractive and there's plenty plenty more

Guy will play next year under sufferance and will be a coaster next year for a third round or he will go into the pre season draft for nothing

We'll played west coast

Geelong midfield
Doesn't say much when a guy running at 14% disposal efflciency and one sided gets second in a b/f

Over hyped
Geelong Tried to inflate his value to. Rape west coast

So if he's a top 10 trade at his age
Try this lot
Yeo
Sidey
Mitchell
Cripps
Oliver
Seir
Rayner
Stephenson
Neale
Redan
Shuey
Ward
All are more attractive and there's plenty plenty more

Guy will play next year under sufferance and will be a coaster next year for a third round or he will go into the pre season draft for nothing

We'll played west coast
The numerous grammar and spelling errors plus the inclusion of Sier in your list really highlights how upset this makes you.

Whoever gets picked up by us at picks 20 & 22 will be watched closely by Geelong supporters in the future knowing they could of had those picks + the 2nd rounder that we will offer them in isolation again next year for Tim Kelly. Wells will be to blame if we score big on 1 or both of those picks.

Edit: yes they can. Search for form 40 in this document and it explains it: http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL-Rules-June-2017.PDF

So given that he can go into the ND as I stated, I suppose we have a bit more leverage than you initially thought.

Not sure what circumstances form 40 is used, but I am pretty sure that in this case he can only go into the ND if Geelong delist him before the draft. Otherwise, he goes through the PSD. Out of contract players still get great trade value. Lever last year is a great example.

Not sure what circumstances form 40 is used, but I am pretty sure that in this case he can only go into the ND if Geelong delist him before the draft. Otherwise, he goes through the PSD. Out of contract players still get great trade value. Lever last year is a great example.

I think a player who is uncontracted but not delisted would fall under point B.

"(i) Players who wish to be included in the National Draft shall lodge with the AFL a duly completed nomination in the form and manner prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 11, and by the following dates and times:

(A) in the case of Players deleted from a List prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting, such nomination shall be lodged by such date and time prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting as determined by the AFL prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting.

(B) in the case of an Uncontracted Player who is still on a Club’s List such nomination shall be lodged by such date and time prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting as determined by the AFL, together with the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 40.

(C) in the case of all other persons, such nomination shall be lodged by such date and time prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting as determined by the AFL prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting."

I think this is how Ball and Jacobs got into the ND.

You are right that teams do have good value when uncontracted, but it is certainly less than when they are contracted and a team really doesn't want to trade them. Geelong would still get a good return next year for sure.

Bet you were singing a different song with Nathan Wilson last year...

FREMANTLE have secured their major trade target, snaring Nathan Wilson from Greater Western Sydney.
The Giants originally demanded a top-20 draft pick for the line-breaking defender.
But in the end, Fremantle gave up pick 57 and a 2018 second-round pick in exchange for Wilson and pick 71.
The Peel product last month requested a move home to WA for family reasons.
He revealed his lifelong love of the Dockers and the opposite for West Coast.
“Freo or bust. I don’t like the Eagles. Put that up,” he said. “You are either Freo or Eagles and I am Freo.”

Pot, meet kettle.
Difference is GWS aren't sooks like Geelong.

According to the trade table before deadline eagles offered both second rounders and a future second cats wanted both seconds and a future first and the eagles told them to get ******

Seriously 3 x 2nd rounders is overs as is asking for more is ridiculous cats think he’s prime Ablett jnr or some s**t

Could also be a case of them giving kelly the finger for saying Perth for family reasons yet no interest in freo
They simply didn't want to trade him unless they got literally double his value. Hopefully he either bails back to WA prior to start of the season or acts injured for majority of the year. Serve the campaigners right

Hate to defend Geelong under any circumstances :) But don't see how you could possibly think they were being unreasonable. They basically were offered the pick they paid for him 12 months ago, plus an early 2nd. And then finally, another late 2nd on top of that.

If Kelly doesn't back up his 2018 season then WCE will get him cheaply. But if he has another good season they will still have to pay what Wells asked for this year. If he doesn't want to play for Freo, his manager isn't going to allow him to be sent to the PSD either.
You’re assuming we finish ahead of Freo.

As the Bulldogs, Richmond and Collingwood have demonstrated recently clubs can improve sharply. Much of the sharp improvement at Richmond and Collingwood is attributable to astute trading. Freo have traded very well in the last 2 years. They now have addressed their contested marking problems in the forward line. Their midfield is pretty good with Fyfe, the Hill brothers, Mundy and Walters (if he plays there). If the support cast of Blakeley, Brayshaw, Cerra etc improve sigificantly they’ll get much better results. They add Conca and Colyer for depth.

The Eagles could have a premiership hangover...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cant take him in the ND. Not sure who his manager is, but he wouldn't be doing his job if he let Kelly go into the PSD and potentially go anywhere. Freo would finish below you and have first crack. I wouldn't rule out other clubs taking the free gift either. They could always put him on the trade table in 12 months and pick up the free 1st rounder. I'd want the crows to do it if we could afford him in our cap. But we wouldn't.

Do you really think an interstate club would draft him in the circumstances? 3 kids and an unhappy wife. Very much doubt that.

Do you really think an interstate club would draft him in the circumstances? 3 kids and an unhappy wife. Very much doubt that.

Naa. Probably not. But we all have a right to question that a bit. He could have gone back to WA if he accepted Freo's offer. Crows wouldn't do it regardless I dont think. Not our style.

Difference is GWS aren't sooks like Geelong.

They simply didn't want to trade him unless they got literally double his value. Hopefully he either bails back to WA prior to start of the season or acts injured for majority of the year. Serve the campaigners right
Pep.
Bayern.
GF locations
and now this.

Not sure which one you post the worst tripe about really.
You offered unders. Simple as that.
Dumb thread given Wells'/Geelong's track record of being very fair to deal with.

Perfectly summed up.
Glad some can look past one trade and see our history stacks up. :thumbsu:

Pick 20, 22 & next years 2nd round pick were offered as a package. That’s way overs & when Kelly walks next year the Cats will be lucky to get a third of that offer in compensation. Poor negotiations where Wells’ ego got in the way. It’ll bite him in the arse next year that’s for sure.

Pep.
Bayern.
GF locations
and now this.

Not sure which one you post the worst tripe about really.
You offered unders. Simple as that.

Perfectly summed up.
Glad some can look past one trade and see our history stacks up. :thumbsu:
Get back to me when Spurs win something floggo

The numerous grammar and spelling errors plus the inclusion of Sier in your list really highlights how upset this makes you.

Mate as always you guys are kidding your selfs
Top 10

Ps
Sier averaged over 20 posies in only 70% game time
Better skills , bigger ,younger ,tackles ,clearances

He was always going home, you tried to inflate his value , hence your unbalanced midfield , one way runners

Tim Kelly what west coast offered overs
Buy low sell high

This is the first time ever I can recall him playing hardball. Bloody lol.
Credit to the Cats, when has a serious good required player wanted to leave Geelong?

In saying that, it wasn’t hardball or what his manager said. It was moneyball.

4th in the B&f on a rookie contract, best moneyball player in the AFL.

They can either to trade him out next year for another player or high pick.

Maybe, they can convince him to stay.

For me, it wasn’t in the interest of the Geelong to trade him to a rival.

Most people have better work ethic. Besides, Eagles are a great club; would they offer that much money to a player with such a poor attitude that he intentionally tanks a year? Doesn’t seem like their style.

Kelly’s best interest is to play amazing, improve, and get offered big money from Eagles.

Credit to the Cats, when has a serious good required player wanted to leave Geelong?

In saying that, it wasn’t hardball or what his manager said. It was moneyball.

4th in the B&f on a rookie contract, best moneyball player in the AFL.

They can either to trade him out next year for another player or high pick.

Maybe, they can convince him to stay.

For me, it wasn’t in the interest of the Geelong to trade him to a rival.

Yeah I think Geelong are hoping they can convince him and his family to stay. Or have Freo become a more attractive proposition. All these people claiming he can go for little at the end of the next season, that changes completely if Freo are able to convince him to consider them. Then a bidding war happens. Either of those two scenarios are what Geelong are hoping for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back