Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
As it stands, a guy who has benefited from a couple of very high profile players landing in his lap due to family reasons has now refused to budge when the shoe is on the other foot.

Had Dodoro done the same with Kelly, I'd imagine he'd be copping it a bit more in the media.

Is Wells the new 'Dodoro'? Discuss.

Wells: We want pick 10.
Eagles: how about 20 and 22
Wells: Pick 10
Eagles: how about 20 and 22?
Wells: ....

Bigfooty: Wells playing hard ball! Has lost the plot! Been there 25 years and doesn’t know what he is doing!!! What a monster!! Where’s my pitchfork? Burn him! I can’t believe how inhumane he is.

Good to see Geelong holding firm and not rolling over for a homesick player I just wish my club would do the same, players need to understand the value of contracts and the the risk clubs take with drafting players and the time spent developing them although Kelly has only been with the club a year I am sure he has learnt so much about the game and fitness he is a more valuable player and if he does leave next year I hope they can get a top 10 pick for him and he could have gone home if he had been ok to join the Dockers

Wells: ....

Bigfooty: Wells playing hard ball! Has lost the plot! Been there 25 years and doesn’t know what he is doing!!! What a monster!! Where’s my pitchfork? Burn him! I can’t believe how inhumane he is.

Not quite.

Well: Your 2019 first rounder, your end of first round 2018 pick (20) and your early 2018 second rounder (22).

Rawlings: two firsts and a second? * off.

Wells:

2katvt.jpg

Yeah nah. Ordinarily I'd have some sympathy for a player requesting a trade for family reasons and not getting one, but if Kelly wanted to go back to WA so badly he could've gone to Freo. Only has himself to blame.

Shocked that 20, 22 and a pick around 30-35 didn't get it done. For a man with a historical record like Wells (even if he lost his way for a while around five years back, see Lang, Thurlow, Cockatoo) I'd have thought these picks would be very useful.

Shocked that 20, 22 and a pick around 30-35 didn't get it done. For a man with a historical record like Wells (even if he lost his way for a while around five years back, see Lang, Thurlow, Cockatoo) I'd have thought these picks would be very useful.

Maybe...but then again WC could have traded to get pick 10 or above to satisfy Geelong. They didn't, kelly stays, simple.

Dumb thread given Wells'/Geelong's track record of being very fair to deal with.

This is a circumstance where I have no sympathy for the player, if the true goal and priority was to get home and have support for your family then I don't see how it would matter whether if it was WCE or Freo. Only nominating West Coast is trying to have your cake and eat it too, furthermore he and his family knew the deal when nominating for the draft initially. Kelly also needs a new manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Kelly really highly after what he did this year. Should only get better. I see why Geelong would be desperate to hold him. Ablett Danger and Selwood and Kelly are a formidable midfield. But individually they aren’t improving. Geelong may see themselves as a flag threat next season and given the season Kelly had perhaps they weren’t ever going to let him go unless they got what they wanted. They know he’ll go next year so I see why they want to go all in next season.
I also see the players side of this and understand Kelly is in a difficult position.

Dumb thread given Wells'/Geelong's track record of being very fair to deal with.

This is a circumstance where I have no sympathy for the player, if the true goal and priority was to get home and have support for your family then I don't see how it would matter whether if it was WCE or Freo. Only nominating West Coast is trying to have your cake and eat it too, furthermore he and his family knew the deal when nominating for the draft initially. Kelly also needs a new manager.

Yeah nah, Geelong have had a history of trying to screw clubs, Mitch Clark for example

As it stands, a guy who has benefited from a couple of very high profile players landing in his lap due to family reasons has now refused to budge when the shoe is on the other foot.

Had Dodoro done the same with Kelly, I'd imagine he'd be copping it a bit more in the media.

Is Wells the new 'Dodoro'? Discuss.
Dodoro did the same thing with Francis last year.

Dodoro did the same thing with Francis last year.

Fair point, though it would seem he was proven right in that instance, as Francis himself has since admitted.

Will Kelly do the same and come around to the Geelong scene, or will he be more of a Jesse Hogan where there are whispers around him wanting out each off-season?

Weird of a Dons fan to accuse Wells of 'Dodoro-ing' when Dodoro nearly let himself lose Shiel by Dodoro-ing too hard :D

See, Dodoro isn't even 'Dodoro' in the context people use it nowadays! When was the last time he blocked a trade due to being unreasonable? I always hear about his starting points being ridiculous, but who gives a *? And even then you have to be taking the word of known bullshitters like Barrett and McClure.

FWIW, Wells is fine overall and the comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I just found it interesting that Dodoro completed a trade that was fair (and if anything, GWS did better), something normally associated with Wells. Meanwhile Wells didn't get a deal done due to his asking price (which many would suggest was a bit high), something generally associated with Dodoro!

How greedy are Geelong
Talk about over value
In the prime of his footy life
Last year
Finished second b/f in a team that fell into finals with a MAJOR HOME GROUND ADVANTAGE
stupid
Next year out of contract
2nd round only

Also point out that pick 20 and 22 this year would be worth at least top10 any other year as this draft is super
Crazy

Yeah, the Cats are usually very good about this sort of stuff. Is it because Kelly absolutely refused to talk to Freo?

Yeah and the fact that he'd only given one year service.

I can't recall Geelong ever having had another player wanting to leave and go home and they've had plenty of non-Victorian players over the years. I can remember both Bairstow and Malarkey both going home to WA for a spell and then returning back to Geelong.

Geelong would have absolutely had a chat with him before they drafted him, so you could assume that he's given them some assurances about at least seeing out the 2 years.

As has been mentioned elsewhere on this site, I don't think it's so much Tim as it is his wife and mother-in-law (and probably his dopey manager)

How greedy are Geelong
Talk about over value
In the prime of his footy life
Last year
Finished second b/f in a team that fell into finals with a MAJOR HOME GROUND ADVANTAGE
stupid
Next year out of contract
2nd round only

Also point out that pick 20 and 22 this year would be worth at least top10 any other year as this draft is super
Crazy

Picks 20 and 22 are worth exactly that, pick 20 and 22. Geelong asked for top 10, WCE did nothing to try and convert those picks into a top 10 pick.

WCE supporters on here were posting draft point calculators ad nauseum telling us that 20 and 22 were the equivalent of pick 6. Funnily enough, I don't think they had too many offers of pick 6, 7, 8, 9 or even 10 for them.

Geelong played it hard but fair, although I think 10 is a very high price, and the two 20's picks seems quite reasonable. But Geelong would see themselves as competing directly with WC next year, and in those circumstances they clearly wanted the trade to make them stronger, and have every right to ask for that.

I think things may have been different if Kelly and his manager had indicated that they were open to Fremantle instead of trying to hang Geelong out to dry at the negotiating table. His manager should be forced out of the industry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back