Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City
Fellow soldiers in the army,

Last year, the Club's membership publication The Fighting Tiger made two predictions with regard to players that would 'step up' in 2000.

They were half right.

The two players who were nominated for big things were Joel Bowden and Mark Merenda. Whoever guesses the successful one wins a prize.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I think that Richmondboard Regulars can do better than a miserable 50% in our predictions for 2001.

So please, nominate two younger players who aren't in the team's top 10 best, who you think will make the 'big step up' in 2001.

I guess, what I'm asking for is you 'most improved' prediction.

We will then see who was most accurate at the end of next year.

BTW: I guess the players who would already be in the top 10 would be: Campbell, Richardson, Knights, Rogers, Kellaway (D version), Kellaway (A version), Gaspar, Bowden, Ottens, King.

Players over the age of 27 should also be excluded from the list, including: Gale, Broderick, Daffy and Cameron.

That still leaves plenty of others to choose...

------------------
TT

ok here goes.
fiora and steinfort
after a full year at the club and a small taste of afl i think this kid has got the skills to cope with playing in the afl yes he is young and i may be way off the mark here but i have this feeling this kid will step up quicker than most poeple think.
as for steinfort i have kept a keen eye on him since he arrived and as we all know he is level pegging with richo as our unluckiest player.all he needs is a taste and im sure when not if he gets it he will finally payback the faith that richmond has showed him.
cheers!

I guess if present the challenge then I should give my suggestion.

I think Rory Hilton will learn from his mistakes and make the step up to top 10 player in 2001.

My other choice would be Tivendale, who was patchy in 2000 but showed some glimpses of becoming a very good contributor.

Cheers,

------------------
TT

I agree with you on Tivendale TT. This young kid really looks to have the goods - pace, balance, clean hands and easily the best left foot kick on the run. All he really needs is a decent feed and some time in the gym!

My other 'step up' is Ezra Poyas. He had a bit of a taste last year, and has found out what it is all about. He seemed to be quite a mature type for an 18 year old and has a strong nuggetty build which would suit a centre square type player. Maybe he could turn out a bit like Haselby. Here's hoping!

In evaluating the list, I overlooked both Chaffey and Torney as I felt both these two stepped up to the mark required of senior AFL footballers last season.

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

tiger_of_old, you stole my thunder, when I read this topic the 2 names that immediately sprung to mind were Fiora & Steinfort. I have a good feeling about Steinfort getting (and staying fit) this year and showing us why Richmond has been so patient with him.

well i hope we are both right with steinfort oh_my_hat if there is one player who needs some luck its steinfort.i know at the end of 98 or 99 he wanted to be traded a/c at the time we had gale,ottens,holland,mckee all ahead of him however id go as far as saying if he was injury free id say he would be ahead of holland in the pecking order.as for the present well he,s been on our list now for 4yrs and for rich to trade or delist him would be so much an unjust not only to steinfort but to the supporters.
the big question is where would we play him?
he,s mobile enuff to play in the backline but also he,s a very accurate kick for goal.
my theory would all depend on how we use richo if we use richo more upfield leave holland at chf and steinfort at ff in a 3 way rotation with otto and gale.
otto ruck gale bench
otto to ff,steinfort to bench,gale ruck.
then otto back to ruck then depends how benny is going to ff or the bench.
cheers!

tiger_of_old, that is extremely encouraging news to think that when fit and with some experience under his belt that he would move ahead of Holland in the pecking order - not that Holland has lived up to my expectations but is missed when out of the team none-the-less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back