Society & Culture Stereotyping drivers of certain cars?

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
I drive a Volvo XC90 and I'm expecting my first child in February... I am aiming to meet the stereotypical image of a young women with kids in a big car.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
Awesome car the XC90 Volvo.
You and your partner must be earning very good salaries to be driving such a lovely car.

Volvo drivers definitely aren’t stereotyped anymore like they once were.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Can it be done?

If so name the make and model and tell us about who drives this type of car and everything about them.

Too hard to do now, there's too many makes and models out there.

When I was just starting out driving in the mid 80s, it was pretty simplish.

Young females drove Toyota Corollas and Ford Lasers or hitchhiked.

Young blokes drove V8s or turbos which were starting to get around a bit in those days or they hitchhiked. They may have also driven a Datsun / Nissan 180B, 200B / Bluebird or a non V8 Holden (a 202 that sucked the juice).

Young males of European decent drove Valiants / Chryslers or Toyota Celicas, Datsun / Nissan 260, 280z etc

Their parents just stuck with the faithful Wog Chariots (big Valiants they bought before they became Chryslers)

Flogs drove red Alfa Romeos

Pommies drove Landrovers, Rovers, Minis, Austins, Range Rovers, Jaguars etc they basically stuck with s**t Pommy cars that broke down a lot.

Japanese drove Japanese manufactured cars, Toyota Cressida, Crown and Mazdas.

Surfers drove panel vans or old station wagons or hitchhiked.

Hippies drove Beetles and Kombi's or hitchhiked.

Yuppies drove Euro (SAAB, BMW, 20 yeard old Mercs or Hondas (Accord, Prelude, Legend), Mazda 929s.

Pensioners drove Volvos with their lawn bowling hats displayed prominently on the rear parcel shelf.

Farmers drove Toyota 4x4s on the farm and Ford Fairlane / Ltd or Statesman DeVille or Caprice out in civvy street.

Everyone else drove Holdens and Fords.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Most Honda drivers seem genuinely scared to be alive, they're always doing dumb nervous stuff on the roads.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
Too hard to do now, there's too many makes and models out there.

When I was just starting out driving in the mid 80s, it was pretty simplish.

Young females drove Toyota Corollas and Ford Lasers or hitchhiked.

Young blokes drove V8s or turbos which were starting to get around a bit in those days or they hitchhiked. They may have also driven a Datsun / Nissan 180B, 200B / Bluebird or a non V8 Holden (a 202 that sucked the juice).

Young males of European decent drove Valiants / Chryslers or Toyota Celicas, Datsun / Nissan 260, 280z etc

Their parents just stuck with the faithful Wog Chariots (big Valiants they bought before they became Chryslers)

Flogs drove red Alfa Romeos

Pommies drove Landrovers, Rovers, Minis, Austins, Range Rovers, Jaguars etc they basically stuck with s**t Pommy cars that broke down a lot.

Japanese drove Japanese manufactured cars, Toyota Cressida, Crown and Mazdas.

Surfers drove panel vans or old station wagons or hitchhiked.

Hippies drove Beetles and Kombi's or hitchhiked.

Yuppies drove Euro (SAAB, BMW, 20 yeard old Mercs or Hondas (Accord, Prelude, Legend), Mazda 929s.

Pensioners drove Volvos with their lawn bowling hats displayed prominently on the rear parcel shelf.

Farmers drove Toyota 4x4s on the farm and Ford Fairlane / Ltd or Statesman DeVille or Caprice out in civvy street.

Everyone else drove Holdens and Fords.

That is amazingly spot on for that era.
Especially the farmers and the yuppies

Great post

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Suzuki Swift: young woman, almost always seen in the rear-view mirror checking her texts or social media while at the lights

Old Commodore ready for the bin: Young man with plenty of tatts. Bonus points for Southern Cross tatt or reckless driving

Mitsubishi Outlander: Sarah taking her three kids to three different sports training sessions

Volkswagen Golf: Jim the accountant wearing fashionable glasses and manicured stubble

Pre-1990 Corolla in mint condition: Old bloke or old lady whose continuing driver's licence is somewhat questionable. The holy grail of second-hand cars - 'always garaged, only driven to the shops once a week'

Hyundai i30: Company car or middle-aged lady

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Are Audis that much cheaper than BMWs?

Interestingly in South Australia, Audi was the 'naughtiest' car badge in terms of number of offences in the latest round of police statistics.
I drive an Audi. BMW were grossly overrated in my opinion. I love my car.

Tranquilli37

All Australian
Sep 22, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Camry (and to a lesser extent Corolla) - indian, Chinese, Afghan (Asian), or old retired Aussie. Someone that wants bang for their buck, but stay the hell away from them when merging or parking, some of the worst drivers!

Uber sticker in front windscreen - 15 kms below the speed limit, overly cautious, will slow down and speed up for no apparent reason.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Subaru Forester - often seen around the Northcote region with climate change and LGBT stickers

Back