News Steve Hocking appointed AFL Football Ops Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddha is not smart enough for the job, sorry.
Mackie would be good with a bit of experience under his belt-he is a smart cookie. So would Lonergan actually. Solid guys.

Doesn't Buddha have a potential father son coming thorough? If so this makes that al a lot easier to manage...

Yes lachlan is FS eligible for us next year along with the Brownless Mensch and Scott sons (Scott is eligible for both NM and GCS also and currently plays for the GCS academy side).

Mackie would be good with a bit of experience under his belt-he is a smart cookie. So would Lonergan actually. Solid guys.

Not being a smart arse here - but have you ever had an in Depth conversation with either Mackie or Lonergan? Or are you making this assumption based on a career of 45
Second interviews?

Not being a smart arse here - but have you ever had an in Depth conversation with either Mackie or Lonergan? Or are you making this assumption based on a career of 45
Second interviews?
Haha yep-that is exactly what I am basing it on. Have seen more that enough to conclude that Mackie is a very cluey guy. Have you seen him interviewed etc-he is way ahead of Chappy and Buddha for mine in terms of 'intellectual depth'. And Buddha is a step back in time. Fresh, young blood for mine is needed these days. Lonergan seems like a seriously level-headed person with plenty of brains.
Happy to be corrected.

Haha yep-that is exactly what I am basing it on. Have seen more that enough to conclude that Mackie is a very cluey guy. Have you seen him interviewed etc-he is way ahead of Chappy and Buddha for mine in terms of 'intellectual depth'. Lonergan seems like a seriously level-headed person with plenty of brains.
Happy to be corrected.

Mackie is from South Australia.

The club has to draw the line somewhere.

Would Rosie King come back to take over from Cook?

Has now had CEO experience with an outside organisation with Netball Vic.

Or could Stuart Fox be teased out of the MCC gig or is that too much of a cushy job?

Not sure of how well the MCC job pays compared to other CEO jobs but it's pretty 'plum' in terms of connections to government etc I doubt Fox would give it up for clubland.

Rosie I guess might come back but not until Cook retires and we need a new CEO neither would come back for the footy ops job.

On the footy ops job it will be interesting to see if we try and promote someone in house (Lloyd is certainly experienced enough to do it well but he might be happy coaching the coaches and not want to change his role, Troy Selwood is a possibility but he has moved more into recruiting now) or bring in a person from outside with previous Geelong experience or go for someone with no connection to the club at all. If we went the 'previous experience here' route I suppose Caracella or even King or Corey are people you would look at (if they want to come back).

My preferred option would be if we almost 'split' the role and appoint a 'football' person for the day to day footy ops role to run the footy dept and allow the coaches to coach, and then appoint a more admin type person (like St Kilda have done with Bains for example) to handle all the player contracts and admin side of that which would allow Wells to focus more on just draft and trading both of which he excels at (my understanding is Wells has to take on a fair bit of the contract stuff as well as his scouting and given how good he is at recruiting I would be keen to free him up to focus on that).

Shame to see him go, but I expect he'll make some big moves at AFL level. Brutal operator is exactly what the league needs.

Won't happen, but I'd love to see Grant Thomas sounded out for the role. He had his flaws as a coach, particularly on the tactical side, but it seems to me he was excellent at building relationships with players, and also the development side of coaching (both personal and football). More importantly, he was somewhat of a trailblazer for the modern footy manager. At StKilda, he not only coached, but he handled contracts, TPP, actively engaged in recruiting, and was groundbreaking in training initiatives, such as overseas camps. He certainly overextended himself in those days, but looking back, he really was a trailblazer in many respects and exposed himself to a range of football skills. It may not be a popular view on here, but I also see him as a person of character. Unlike many, I feel he parks his bias and gives unconflicted opinions on the footy. Further, his opinions seem to indicate he has a respect for Chris Scott. He's a straight-shooter who calls out the AFL boys club for what it is. This has made him an outsider, but with our man now "inside" the tent we shouldn't fear any repercussions. I think Grant Thomas really would have so much to offer in a footy role at clubland.

What I suspect is every chance of happening though is Simon Lethlean. Mates with Gill and Chris Scott, second chance in a forgiving industry. All fits nicely.

Won't happen, but I'd love to see Grant Thomas sounded out for the role. He had his flaws as a coach, particularly on the tactical side, but it seems to me he was excellent at building relationships with players, and also the development side of coaching (both personal and football). More importantly, he was somewhat of a trailblazer for the modern footy manager. At StKilda, he not only coached, but he handled contracts, TPP, actively engaged in recruiting, and was groundbreaking in training initiatives, such as overseas camps. He certainly overextended himself in those days, but looking back, he really was a trailblazer in many respects and exposed himself to a range of football skills. It may not be a popular view on here, but I also see him as a person of character. Unlike many, I feel he parks his bias and gives unconflicted opinions on the footy. Further, his opinions seem to indicate he has a respect for Chris Scott. He's a straight-shooter who calls out the AFL boys club for what it is. This has made him an outsider, but with our man now "inside" the tent we shouldn't fear any repercussions. I think Grant Thomas really would have so much to offer in a footy role at clubland.

What I suspect is every chance of happening though is Simon Lethlean. Mates with Gill and Chris Scott, second chance in a forgiving industry. All fits nicely.

Grant Thomas would be perfect. Good thinking, zb!

Not thrilled with the idea of Simon Lethlean - do we really need that sort of cultural influence around the club?

Not thrilled with the idea of Simon Lethlean - do we really need that sort of cultural influence around the club?

I wouldn't go there personally. But Brian Cook is an AFL establishment man, part of the Bondi Icebergs crew. Those on the inside tend to get looked after, and Lethlean will pop up somewhere before long is all I'm really saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a win/win in the long run. Love to see an outsider get the role just to give some outside perspective to the club. I feel that its the most viable way to develop and continue to grow as an organisation. There are things that we do really well but there are also things that other clubs do very well. Bringing in an external view could, not guaranteed, be a benefit.

Grant Thomas would be perfect. Good thinking, zb!

When was the last time Grant Thomas worked at an AFL club?

Hasn't had any role since sacked as coach in 06 I think it was?
I feel a bit sorry for him - he looked like he was paranoid spouting off in the media. Turns out he was 100% right.

I feel a bit sorry for him - he looked like he was paranoid spouting off in the media. Turns out he was 100% right.

The Butterss stuff has been an open secret for a while, now it's fully out in the open. I think it's a testament to Grant that he's never spoken out about this stuff in over a decade despite not only knowing about it, but it impacting on him professionally and personally. Not many in the footy industry have that class and character. In the media, he's always been happy to call it as he sees it. He's been railing about the AFL's use of the umpiring dept/MRP/fixture etc to manufacture and contrive desirable outcomes for a long time. He's certainly no conspiracy theorist on this, it's REAL, it has been for a long time and I doubt it'll ever change from here sadly. Anyways, I'm less of a football lover now than I was previously for this very reason. I still love the Cats, but the passion burns a little less than it used to, and my football viewing as a "neutral" is virtually non-existent these days.

Anyways, I still love the Cats and just think Grant Thomas would be an interesting option to consider. Would be great to see what he could do in the era of free agency, greater player movement, large sport science/medical depts etc. Further, I think his coaching experience would make him a great offsider/sounding board for any coach. I think he'd relish the role personally. Really, when I think about it, the Pies should be all over him, he'd be perfect for Bucks in many ways. 2c

Like I said the onus is on you.
Geez you are lazy. All I said is I'm glad he's gone.

2014 (hocking)

Commercial dropped 1 million. ( I can't quote it. It's on the gfc website if you weren't so lazy)

2015 (hocking) admittedly there's cross over here to the new manager.

• A reduction in profit from the club's commercial operations, with profit dropping by $1.2 million to $19.6 million. This is largely due to reduced returns from the club's venues, match returns, events and fundraising
2016 (post hocking)

* An increase in profit from the club's commercial operations, with profit rising by 3% to $20.1 million. This is largely due to increases in sponsorship and membership. The club achieved a 13% rise in membership to 52,195.

I honestly don't/didn't have a great enough understanding of his role to know if he was good bad or otherwise, which is what I suspect most people here are also like.. but we just assume he was good as he was ours.
So if he was going great then I hope we find an good replacement, and if he wasn't that great then I hope we find a better replacement.

I am not certain it changes things for us fans really at all though.. just a different person to blame when we aren't happy

As long as he stays well away from any coaching roles.

Wasn't he the one who put every single player in a 50M zone? :D

(I love u Buddha- got 32 on my jumper)

I honestly don't/didn't have a great enough understanding of his role to know if he was good bad or otherwise, which is what I suspect most people here are also like.. but we just assume he was good as he was ours.
So if he was going great then I hope we find an good replacement, and if he wasn't that great then I hope we find a better replacement.

I am not certain it changes things for us fans really at all though.. just a different person to blame when we aren't happy
Haha. That last line nails it.

I dunno, I always felt a bit underwhelmed by him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back