Universal Love Steve Hocking has retired as AFL operations manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

So sad to lose him...

Make no mistake, I don't like this gentleman. But, his just another dude in a suit.

It's not the dude in the suit that's ****ed up. What's really ****ed up is a sport is willing to change its rules to make it prettier. I fear the AFL will just wheel in the next dude in a suit to change the rules for "aesthetic reasons".

Fair dinkum... Is it right that people who love the game and have grown to know it intimately over decades don't understand the rules any more? Is the game any prettier for the season after season after season of tinkering? And who the * decides what makes the game prettier anyway?

So he heads up Geelong's football department and then goes to the AFL where he destroys the fabric of the game while openly admitting that he wanted to dethrone the king (Richmond). Then scurries back to Geelong to sit back and reap the rewards.
And now we are hearing that Brad Scott, the identical twin brother of Geelong's coach, is going to replace him?
This organisation stinks to the core.

So let's get this straight.
Hocking has resigned mid COVID season #2 because her wants the CEO gig with the Cats.
But he has to wait until the end of the season, and the present CEO (Cook) will continue in the job until then.
So what was the rush?
Did Geelong approach him, surely knowing he would be compromised and have to resign?
Or had the seat got too hot (I bet Gillon was just dandy about the McKay referral) and Geelong decided it was time to parachute their man back home?
Very strange exit at a very critical time.

The AFL organisation is riddled with incompetence when it comes to conflicts of interest and they make no pretence to address it. It's why I only give my money and attention to the Tigers and nothing else.

Love for Warner to do an article on Geelong.
So he heads up Geelong's football department and then goes to the AFL where he destroys the fabric of the game while openly admitting that he wanted to dethrone the king (Richmond). Then scurries back to Geelong to sit back and reap the rewards.
And now we are hearing that Brad Scott, the identical twin brother of Geelong's coach, is going to replace him?
This organisation stinks to the core.
Now Geelong will play the “us against them” card,timing of this perfect for the Cats.

With Tigers just outside the 8 people are suggesting it's mission accomplished for Hocking but I think its more the fact that the thought of having Benny Gale as his boss was making him physically ill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank god. Hopefully someone competent replaces him. Geelong are going to be in a world of hurt if this bloke gets too much power. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :drunk:
He'll gift them 5 priority picks before he leaves.

This is a massive conflict of interest and just so typical of the AFL. Shocking would have intimate knowledge of other club’s affairs both financial and strategic, future planning within the AFL he could leverage and a hotline to head office. It’s just wrong on so many levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back