News Steve Hocking new CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No - but he would be privy to highly sensitive club information - like eg - how sick the current StKilda Balance Sheet looks

Just my opinion ( and they should do this for retiring govt ministers as well ) then if your with the AFL in a high up position - where you have got access to very sensitive financial and other club information - then you cant take a club job for 3 years ( at which point that sensitive information - isnt sensitive anymore )

You go back say 20-25 when Geel were on their knees financially - so say the AFL Operations person at the time is a Carl or Haw man - and he goes back as CEO of their club - hes privy to info - oh Geel are financially ratshiit - the liquidator is just about to be appointed and change the locks . That highly sensitive info should not be the knowledge of another clubs CEO
The AFL do NOT have NDA's
We wouldn't have had carter. He knew what more than hocking.

The funny part is Benny Gale will be running the AFL in a year or two anyway so.....

I think its more than Tigers fan's that have not been a fan of Hockings work. The stand on the mark rule is terrible , even worse than its on show in country football to.
I thought gale was a chance a decade ago. His time has passed.

The stand on the mark rule is excellent. With the exception of when a mark is taken around 50. It doesn't work there.

But do you seriously believe one person came up with that rule, and then rubber stamped it?
If so, go and lick the boots off your boss wearing the Fluoro jacket. Because you have NFI.

The funny part is Benny Gale will be running the AFL in a year or two anyway so.....

I think its more than Tigers fan's that have not been a fan of Hockings work. The stand on the mark rule is terrible , even worse than its on show in country football to.
The rule has taken a hatchet to all well structured defenses including ours. Clubs like Essendon, the Swans, the crows all I think like the rule change.

The changes to the mro in regards to head contact and concussion are a big change but that's clearly just trying to avoid a class action

Seems a bit like nepotism to me. Not that Hocking won't be a good CEO, but I think the club needs some fresh perspectives in a new CEO to help develop it to another level. The AFL is nothing but a big boys club. Jobs for mates. I wish him well in the job, but I'm not enraptured with the appointment. Some of his work as AFL manager left me a little cold.

I thought gale was a chance a decade ago. His time has passed.

The stand on the mark rule is excellent. With the exception of when a mark is taken around 50. It doesn't work there.

But do you seriously believe one person came up with that rule, and then rubber stamped it?
If so, go and lick the boots off your boss wearing the Fluoro jacket. Because you have NFI.

No , but it is a stupid rule. It looks horrible watching someone run right pass and can't do a thing about it, likewise the kick out from goal square not a fan of either. I understand they are trying to make it quicker but coaches these days will never allow it to happen. It has now created a situation where footballers are getting overlooked for athletes. I am sure Geelong have a few of them that are great in terms of skill and smarts but don't get a game because they aren't quick enough or fit enough?

Saw Dangerfield a week ago kick about 3 or 4 out on the full and butcher it like no tomorrow. Given the fact he is running end to end at full tilt I was hardly shocked.

Remove the 6-6-6 rule, revert back to normal goal square kick out rules and get rid of the man on the mark rule but maybe somehow come up with a system that rewards higher scoring and the coaches might actually let it free up a bit and start paying holding the ball/dropping the ball/throwing the ball properly and we would actually see some decent footy across the board again.

Your footy when you guys play attacking is the best in the comp , you have Hawkins and Cameron two genuine superstar forwards but 90% of the time you play slow footy because Chris Scott like all 17 other coaches are defensively minded.

No - but he would be privy to highly sensitive club information - like eg - how sick the current StKilda Balance Sheet looks
You mean like the one they published for everyone to see here - St-Kilda-Saints-Football-Club-2020-web-version-22-Dec-2020.pdf ?????

so three things:

1) You're putting way too emphasis on 'sensitivity', there is just not that much info that would give us an advantage floating around
2) Even if there was, there would be clauses in his contract preventing disclosure of such information after he leaves. This is quite standard and quite enforcable.
3) There is no hope of any clause enforcing a 'break' surviving any legal challenge. It would be an out-and-out restraint of trade

No , but it is a stupid rule. It looks horrible watching someone run right pass and can't do a thing about it, likewise the kick out from goal square not a fan of either. I understand they are trying to make it quicker but coaches these days will never allow it to happen. It has now created a situation where footballers are getting overlooked for athletes. I am sure Geelong have a few of them that are great in terms of skill and smarts but don't get a game because they aren't quick enough or fit enough?

Saw Dangerfield a week ago kick about 3 or 4 out on the full and butcher it like no tomorrow. Given the fact he is running end to end at full tilt I was hardly shocked.

Remove the 6-6-6 rule, revert back to normal goal square kick out rules and get rid of the man on the mark rule but maybe somehow come up with a system that rewards higher scoring and the coaches might actually let it free up a bit and start paying holding the ball/dropping the ball/throwing the ball properly and we would actually see some decent footy across the board again.

Your footy when you guys play attacking is the best in the comp , you have Hawkins and Cameron two genuine superstar forwards but 90% of the time you play slow footy because Chris Scott like all 17 other coaches are defensively minded.
The trend towards athletes well and truly pre-dates Hocking.

The inability for struggling teams to cut through structured defences was the number one criticism of the game when he went into the role. You can't say he hasn't been working to that brief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has now created a situation where footballers are getting overlooked for athletes.

because Chris Scott like all 17 other coaches are defensively minded.

They've been talking about athletes replacing footballers since the 90s. A lot of people cheered in '99 when Haselby got taken by Freo at pick 2 saying it was a return to drafting footballers and not athletes.

Coaches have been defensively minded since Malthouse won 2 flags at the Eagles in '92 and '94 with one of the best defensive units to ever take a football field against a Geelong side who played all out attack. The catch cry from a lot of coaches and commentators since those days is, 'Defence wins flags.'

I still haven't forgiven him for letting a half dead Brereton kick two goals on him in the first quarter of the '89 gf. That hapless look on his face as Dermie did nothing more than stand there and outmark him twice and kick goals.

Just mentioned on 7 News that Stuart Fox might take over from Gil when he leaves his position. Fox had been chief operating officer at Geelong for about a decade before he moved onto Hawthorn, and later the MCC.

Would be funny if another former Geelong official got the job over Brendon Gale.

Just mentioned on 7 News that Stuart Fox might take over from Gil when he leaves his position. Fox had been chief operating officer at Geelong for about a decade before he moved onto Hawthorn, and later the MCC.

Would be funny if another former Geelong official got the job over Brendon Gale.

Oh the melts!

Bring back the veterans list
Increase the soft cap
Make aligned vfl players eligible to join their AFL team with any pick in the draft.
finals to be played at choice of higher team.
Home game venue to be decided by home team.
change father son eligibility back to 50 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back