Steve Johnson ESPN 30 for 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was quite adamant that our depth is poor, and implied that we're essentially just an injury away from having no hope for finals.

In any event he believes we won't play finals.
That could be said about any team though.
All teams have players they can’t cover if they get injuries.
Like I said he could be right, I just think it’s extremely odd for him to say that about a team that’s just won a flag and added more depth to an already great list.
I would have said the same thing a month ago, but we are hitting some form at least.

The way we have played the last 3 weeks, there’s no reason to think we won’t be playing finals.

Last edited:
That could be said about any team though.
All teams have players they can’t cover if they get injuries.
Like I said he could be right, I just this it’s extremely odd for him to say that about a team that’s just won a flag and added more depth to an already great list.
I would have said the same thing a month ago, but we are hitting some form at least.

The way we have played the last 3 weeks, there’s no reason to think we won’t be playing finals.

He um'd and ah'd about our chances, but if memory serves me correctly, he ultimately said we wouldn't be playing finals.

He was quite adamant that our depth is poor, and implied that we're essentially just an injury away from having no hope for finals.

Reeks of Mooney comment after the 2011 GF that the club will never win a GF again

I just find it disheartening that former players can say that s**t about the club and SJ was one of my favourite players I can’t see where he’s coming from to come to that conclusion that the club can’t make the finals.

I cant remember him saying this..... Pretty sure i watched the show

Listen to the 'Yay or Nay' section near the end. About 26:30 onwards I think.

He clearly says Geelong doesn't have a lot of depth, and he doubts they make the 8.
Stevie says he's not sure both Sydney and Geelong can climb into the 8 - seemed pretty 50/50 on both of them rather than wanting to commit, hence the host says they might have to rename him "Stevie Maybe".

You're right that he did say Geelong lack depth though and that a few more injuries would make them vulnerable - as rounds 1 to 3 showed (failing to mention that currently we do probably have a similar number of injuries as then).

He's probably right in that if you threw a few big injuries on top of our current absences we will struggle. But a hypothetical game like that - if a squad with many injuries gets even more - is a bit of a nothing proposition. Hence his pretty non committal stance. Definitely wasn't a write off the Cats. But wasn't a big leap of faith either.

Stevie says he's not sure both Sydney and Geelong can climb into the 8 - seemed pretty 50/50 on both of them rather than wanting to commit, hence the host says they might have to rename him "Stevie Maybe".

You're right that he did say Geelong lack depth though and that a few more injuries would make them vulnerable - as rounds 1 to 3 showed (failing to mention that currently we do probably have a similar number of injuries as then).

He's probably right in that if you threw a few big injuries on top of our current absences we will struggle. But a hypothetical game like that - if a squad with many injuries gets even more - is a bit of a nothing proposition. Hence his pretty non committal stance. Definitely wasn't a write off the Cats. But wasn't a big leap of faith either.

Agree with all that, but he gave me the impression that, in private, he reckons the Cats won't make it.

He seemed more adamant about the lack of depth he perceives though. The way I interpreted it, he was saying the club lacks depth, period.

Could just be me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back