Steve Johnson v Brent Harvey

Who is better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This not quite midfielder, not quite forward pairing are both bloody stars no doubt - but which would you prefer?

Which of the two has been a better player over the course of their respective careers?

Good poll.
Very close IMO
Voted for the player who I like more (not the one who plays for my team):huh::cool:

Brent Harvey is an impossible poll option, he's got so many games more than most other players it's hard to not pick him if basing over the entire career. He's played 160 more games than Stevei J for example, that's nearly 8 full seasons worth.

Who was better at their peak. That's a different story.

This not quite midfielder, not quite forward pairing

Except that Harvey was a genuine midfielder, for quite some time. :p

Boomer, for me. He's a bloke that's posting the same stats in 2016 and at 38 that he was in 2008 at 30, a year he was a Brownlow runner up. Harvey has been giving opposition coaches nightmares for 20 years now, and it'll be a very sad day when he hangs up the boots. He'd have been excused if he'd decided to finish 10 years ago, so hopefully he's got another 10 left in him. :)

Last edited:
Stevie J has more skill to his game and just nudges Boomer for mine.

Both great players mind you, but if you chose either as an 18yr old knowing how both would turn out you'd have to go with Stevie J.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boomer, for me. He's a bloke that's posting the same stats in 2016 and at 38 that he was in 2008 at 30, a year he was a Brownlow runner up.
Uh no he's not.

First time he's posted a less than 20 touch average since 2004.

Uh no he's not.

First time he's posted a less than 20 touch average since 2004.

He's also playing more forward, which is why he's kicked as many goals up to round 17 as he did in the entire 2008 season. Even so, he'd literally only need to play a 25 disposal game next round to achieve a 20 disposal average.

He's also playing more forward, which is why he's kicked as many goals up to round 17 as he did in the entire 2008 season. Even so, he'd literally only need to play a 25 disposal game next round to achieve a 20 disposal average.
And how many disposals between now and the end of the season would he need to get back up to his 2008 average?

I'm not knocking Boomer mate he's still been impressive but the post I quoted is false. His performances stand alone without needing the heavy mayo on top.

Johnson was a bit more influential in turning games I believe. He was extremely versatile when he was in his prime.
I think a better poll would have been Brad Johnson v Steve Johnson

The Johnson of the Steve variety is a s**t load better.

Regardless of who I support I honestly don't know who I would choose in this. Probably Harvey, but only just. I feel like he had a little more consistency than Johnson.
Harvey for longevity, but Stevie Js best was better. Stevie J was a top 5 player in the comp at one point, Harvey has never been that.
Not sure this is right. in 2007 Harvey finished 2nd in the Brownlow and for a period during the season was the outright favourite and rated as the best player in the comp for that period.

Regardless of who I support I honestly don't know who I would choose in this. Probably Harvey, but only just. I feel like he had a little more consistency than Johnson.

Not sure this is right. in 2007 Harvey finished 2nd in the Brownlow and for a period during the season was the outright favourite and rated as the best player in the comp for that period.
07? That was Ablett time. Or Bartel.

The brownlow doesnt mean much to me, the seasons best player doesnt often win it, otherwise Ablett would have a few more. So him coming second in the umpires favourite midfielder from the winning team award doesnt impress me that much.

Good on him. He can win the 2nd favourite in the Brownlow award. Still think Johnson was better, and his best was better.
So then your statement that he was never in the best 5 players in the competition and Johnson was is based on what, exactly?

Back