Steve Johnson

Should Collingwood recruit Steve Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 72 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
As goal kicking seems to be the weakest part of our game do you think the excitement machine that is Steve Johnson could help our forwards gain confidence in front of goal.

I believe someone like Steve Johnson tucked away in a forward pocket is exactly what we need.

I say give him a 2 year contract, along with an on field forwards coach apprenticeship.

With our goal kicking being abysmal this year something must change... I think Steve Johnson can help bring that to us.

Thoughts?

As goal kicking seems to be the weakest part of our game do you think the excitement machine that is Steve Johnson could help our forwards gain confidence in front of goal.

I believe someone like Steve Johnson tucked away in a forward pocket is exactly what we need.

I say give him a 2 year contract, along with an on field forwards coach apprenticeship.

With our goal kicking being abysmal this year something must change... I think Steve Johnson can help bring that to us.

Thoughts?
Is Stevie really the coaching type? Not so sure. I think hes a better fit for someone who is thereabouts but not quite ready for a serious premiership assault, maybe Adelaide or North or Eighthmond

Bugglz

All Australian
Jun 1, 2011
Hampton
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United
Wouldn't mind it as a rookie spot / part time coaching roll going into a full time coaching roll after a year or two.
He won't be around for our next premiership so wouldn't offer him a spot on the main list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Stevie really the coaching type? Not so sure. I think hes a better fit for someone who is thereabouts but not quite ready for a serious premiership assault, maybe Adelaide or North or Eighthmond
Agree on the premiership assault bit, but just FYI, Stevie is highly regarded as a future coach already. Has spent a lot of time in the coaches box over the past couple of years when he's been injured etc. Apparently has an amazing football brain.

Agree on the premiership assault bit, but just FYI, Stevie is highly regarded as a future coach already. Has spent a lot of time in the coaches box over the past couple of years when he's been injured etc. Apparently has an amazing football brain.
Really? Got the sense he wasn't the type but fair enough. If thats the case then hopefully we just hire him as a coach, the forwardline could do with a different influence

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
If he was happy to take minimum wage and a coaching role.

Wouldnt want to be paying him anything more than 200k.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Guys theres a reason Geelong, a team in a similar position to us, just with an older top-end, was more than willing to drop him.

Although very talented, as a player he did not make those around him better, and his selfishness and brain fades were acceptable (and at times very useful) on a premiership team, because he could pull something out of nothing. (but could also get nothing out of something). I dont think that, as a player, hes a good influence at all on those around him- and you could see that in Geelong this year.
There's a reason Enrights staying and Stevie Js one of the guys leaving.

(now i cant talk about his coaching credentials when hes steps away from field completely, but as a player i would not want him).
He makes sense for a team ready to make a flag run - we arent there yet.

Isn't this discussed in the veteran thread?
You would only bring him in if you thought we could win the flag next year and we clearly can't so the answer is no.
Agree with analysis, different conclusion. We aren't pushing for a flag so we can agree it is another development year. Veterans like Stevie J fast track development.
So it is the potential of rd 3 pick spot in 3 yrs vs a veteran for a year. Simple equation really. Not looking at cap space but even there it would be worth the investment

Rohan25

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
I would say the club is readying itself for a flag push in 2017 which is not that far away, besides clubs have won flags ahead of schedule before.

I'm not saying we should definitely get him, but his performance this year was good and with a point to prove at a new club, he will almost certainly play better next year.

I wouldn't be upset at the club if they took a punt.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
I say yes mainly because you don't stand to lose a lot taking a punt. He supported Collingwood growing up so its a nice way to end the career. Dermott did the same and he was fantastic for Sav in 93(?) or was it 95?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Our list is in a much different shape to the Cats, as the Cats have multiple veterans over 30 who will be retiring

We have Swan, and now with Young and Dwyer being delisted Cloke is the next oldest player on the list and he is 28.

Offensively he showed he is still good enough, 30 goals at 1.5 per game this year, that would be great...but does he have the ability to give the defensive effort that Buckley is so strong on??

Wouldn't mind it, and yes very similar to Dermie coming and playing a final year for the team he supported, so Stevie could teach Billy and Fas a few more tricks.

Also if we do sign Treloar and potentially a couple more, the club might be correctly bullish on chances of a top4 in 2016...stevie would be another good option, and we know first hand he is a big game player.

You would only bring him in if you thought we could win the flag next year and we clearly can't so the answer is no.
This. You should only top up with players of this age if you were going to have a realistic crack at the premiership, and they can help achieve that (just like Jolly and Ball). Otherwise it's just a benevolent fund for them.

Whether we should have got him all those years ago is a different story!

Buena

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2009
Adelaide Hills, SA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool; Brisbane Roar
If we'd nudged the Top 4 this year, and acquiring Johnson would maybe help us make a grand final next year, then you'd do it. But we didn't, and we won't (not next year), so someone else can have him.
How about North Melbourne? They don't mind bringing in blokes in the twilight of their careers...

Thoughts?

I still remember you arguing that Dids should have been given another year. Now you want Johnson. Dids was finished and so is Johnson.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
I voted no.
BUt there is a case for .
We finished 12th with a healthy percentage.
IN 2014 West Coast finished in a very similar position to where we finished this year.
In 2014 Footscray (that's what I will always call them) finished nowhere with a list profile basically where ours is now.
The nature of the draw and the competition says that at least one team that failed to make the eight will be a bolter next year. It could be us. Particularly if we land Treloar.
What else do we need?
Finishers and experience.
The guy can finish. Probably better than anyone.
We can finish top 6 next year if things go our way. Stevie J could add some polish to take us further.
But....I don't like the guy.

Back