Steve Johnson

Should Collingwood recruit Steve Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 72 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
So Fasolo at 1.5 goals a game... and grumpy (at not much of a better average) are the electrifying forwards that are going to inspire our team with excitement.... and inspire us to get the ball to them...

Off you go Fas and Elliott... we're still waiting!

For mine... I'd rather Johnson have a crack in the Pies forward pocket... there's only one man in this conversation that oozes confidence... and he hasn't worn a black and white jumper yet.

Collingwood first... Individuals second... We need goals... we need goal kicking confidence... no one on our list has this.

Get this... we win.

Steve Johnson kicking for goal >>> anyone on our list.

So Fasolo at 1.5 goals a game... and grumpy (at not much of a better average) are the electrifying forwards that are going to inspire our team with excitement.... and inspire us to get the ball to them...

For mine... I'd rather Johnson have a crack in the Pies forward pocket... there's only one man in this conversation that oozes confidence... and he hasn't worn a black and white jumper yet.

Collingwood first... Individuals second... We need goals... we need goal kicking confidence... no one on our list has this.

Get this... we win.

Rubbish. Johnson has at best one more year left and we are not in a position, even with him, to challenge next year. Fas and Elliott are 8 years younger and have their best footy to come. There is no chance that the club will consider Johnson. No chance.

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Rubbish. Johnson has at best one more year left and we are not in a position, even with him, to challenge next year. Fas and Elliott are 8 years younger and have their best footy to come. There is no chance that the club will consider Johnson. No chance.

So we can watch Fas kick 1 and a bit goals a game and grumpy kick about the same to inspire our team to a flag next year....

or slap the pressure on them to start kicking 4 or 5 a game by adding in Steve Johnson to the mix.

Personally I'd rather kick more goals... Fas and Grumpy have had a run at it for 3 or 4 years... Inject the venom I say. Make Fas and Grumpy force Steve Johnson out of the team... cause Johnson will kick more goals than them... RIGHT NOW....

and goals right now win games... right now.

So we can watch Fas kick 1 and a bit goals a game and grumpy kick about the same to inspire our team to a flag next year....

or slap the pressure on them to start kicking 4 or 5 a game by adding in Steve Johnson to the mix.

Personally I'd rather kick more goals... Fas and Grumpy have had a run at it for 3 or 4 years... Inject the venom I say. Make Fas and Grumpy force Steve Johnson out of the team... cause Johnson will kick more goals than them... RIGHT NOW....

It's not about right now. It's about building a side that win the flag in 2017 and beyond. Old farts like Johnson are not going to be of any benefit to us.

Bring_Back_Brad

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
My mail is that conversations are being had already, there's a good chance he will be at collingwood next year.
I think he would a great addition. Our forward line sucks ass, if we can get someone like steviej for nothing why not. We've got plenty worse lurking in the team.

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
It's not about right now. It's about building a side that win the flag in 2017 and beyond. Old farts like Johnson are not going to be of any benefit to us.

So Fas and Grumpy don't need to be pushed for excellence (and conversion) right now...

It's about waiting till they're ready in 2017!!!

What a croc of s**t!!!

Is that in their contracts.... we'll give you both 350 - 500k for next year... to be good the year after!!!

Put someone on our list who demands the football and is proven to convert... then they may end up doing the same (instead of apparently, eventually.... they may turn into, or "develop" into what Bigfooty reckons they might. But have never done so on an AFL field...

Forwards needs to be feared by opposition.

Fas and Grumpy have shown glimpses... Johnson has done it. Massive difference to 2016... or do we wait to 2017 as you suggest that fas and Grumpy somehow just pull it out of their own development... not from inner sanctum competitiveness (that Johnson would bring... Cloke hasn't brought it... White... who is our most dangerous goal kicker... who has the mantle... it's embarrassing)

Johnson has something our goalkickers dont.

confidence.

So Fas and Grumpy don't need to be pushed for excellence (and conversion) right now...

It's about waiting till they're ready in 2017!!!

What a croc of s**t!!!

Is that in their contracts.... we'll give you both 350 - 500k for next year... to be good the year after!!!

Put someone on our list who demands the football and is proven to convert... then they may end up doing the same (instead of apparently, eventually.... they may turn into, or "develop" into what Bigfooty reckons they might. But have never done so on an AFL field...

Forwards needs to be feared by opposition.

Fas and Grumpy have shown glimpses... Johnson has done it. Massive difference to 2016... or do we wait to 2017 as you suggest that fas and Grumpy somehow just pull it out of their own development... not from inner sanctum competitiveness (that Johnson would bring... Cloke hasn't brought it... White... who is our most dangerous goal kicker... who has the mantle... it's embarrassing)

Johnson has something our goalkickers dont.

confidence.

There is absolutely no chance that Johnson will be playing for Collingwood next year. Keep wasting your breath if you want.

My mail is that conversations are being had already, there's a good chance he will be at collingwood next year.
I think he would a great addition. Our forward line sucks ass, if we can get someone like steviej for nothing why not. We've got plenty worse lurking in the team.

Stop reading junk mail.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Johnson is not the answer but we seriously need to get some quality new forwards. We need a good tall and small. Cloke, white, Fasolo just isn't good enough. Over the next 10 years only players I see being productive up there is Eliott and Moore, wih broomhead spending some time up there... We really need to focus our recruiting on our forward line once we've secured Treloar.
Midfielders spending time up forward is great but you need to still have actual forwards. Garlett was a huge miss last year imo. I want all our draft picks to be on forwards, we are covered everywhere else

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Johnson is not the answer but we seriously need to get some quality new forwards. We need a good tall and small. Cloke, white, Fasolo just isn't good enough. Over the next 10 years only players I see being productive up there is Eliott and Moore, wih broomhead spending some time up there... We really need to focus our recruiting on our forward line once we've secured Treloar.
Midfielders spending time up forward is great but you need to still have actual forwards. Garlett was a huge miss last year imo. I want all our draft picks to be on forwards, we are covered everywhere else
Agreed. Once Treloar and Aish are secured every other trade / draft pick used needs to be spent on the forwardline. Our forwardline is too Vanilla. We rely too much on Cloke and Elliott alone. White isn't a 2nd tall he is a 3rd tall. We need a small crumber and someone like Stringer/Gunston. WE MAJORLY PHUCKED UP NOT GETTING JEFF GARLETT. :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone heard of this kid Moore? Apparently he goes alright.

He'll be a star, but someone to help him more than White can would be more than useful.

McCarthy would be perfect but it's WA or GWS for him by the looks of it.

I'd like to see a second KPF in development to complement Moore, or even better I'd like to land a KPF in his early 20s. Someone like Ben Brown from North. 93 marks and 31 goals from 20 games as a 3rd tall. I like the way he plays the game and he's 200cm - that's a bitch of a match up for your 2nd or 3rd defender. Nephew of Collingwood's own Charlie Manson, as it happens. Doubt he's going anywhere but that's the type I'd like to bring in.

cakewalk06

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Forward line of Cloke, Moore, white, fa solo, Elliott, broomhead looks pretty good to me. Need better quality in the delivery forward. Hopefully we can land treloar and aish to help with this, plus the natural improvement to come from players like Shaz, Adams, Crisp, Marley, Ramsay etc.

Plus, forward pressure is vital these days. And Steve j, while the consummate entertainer, is not exactly built for delivering this.

Keep the faith

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Get this... we win.

If it was circa 2006 or so agree
But now, too old, its passed him by
Thanks for coming but
NO!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Id like to see how many players have better averages that play in The Fas and Elliots positions?
Not sure calling Elliot "Grumpy" helps your argument

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Don't know what all the "malarkey" is about? Stevie J would be really good for us for a couple of years. If he's cheap, why not add him to the list? He's a smart player that has the confidence to take the game on and actually challenge defenders. It's a bit like knocking back a Peter Daicos at the end of his career....any other team would have loved to have just a sprinkle of his magic for a year or two. I've personally seen him coach young players and he's excellent. He sets very high standards and demands team values from his young forwards. Yes, once on the ground he switches into a different persona but that's still beneficial to our young group...because his style of play is aggressive, it's challenging and it would force our young forwards to challenge their defenders knowing that Stevie would be around to back them up.
He hasn't lost that much pace, he never was a very good chaser! But when the balls in his area, Stevie grows another leg!
With Stevie on board I'd imagine him bringing Clokey back to life (he pretty much developed Tommy Hawkins), Fas and Jamie Elliott becoming far more desperate to kick goals and you pretty much instantaneously solve the forward crumbing problem because Stevie J reads the ball better than anyone (bar Daics).
I don't think he plays every game.....but he'd be so handy in big games or against clubs that zone because he's just so good at finding space (and goals).

For me its a no brainer if he's available.

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Don't know what all the "malarkey" is about? Stevie J would be really good for us for a couple of years. If he's cheap, why not add him to the list? He's a smart player that has the confidence to take the game on and actually challenge defenders. It's a bit like knocking back a Peter Daicos at the end of his career....any other team would have loved to have just a sprinkle of his magic for a year or two. I've personally seen him coach young players and he's excellent. He sets very high standards and demands team values from his young forwards. Yes, once on the ground he switches into a different persona but that's still beneficial to our young group...because his style of play is aggressive, it's challenging and it would force our young forwards to challenge their defenders knowing that Stevie would be around to back them up.
He hasn't lost that much pace, he never was a very good chaser! But when the balls in his area, Stevie grows another leg!
With Stevie on board I'd imagine him bringing Clokey back to life (he pretty much developed Tommy Hawkins), Fas and Jamie Elliott becoming far more desperate to kick goals and you pretty much instantaneously solve the forward crumbing problem because Stevie J reads the ball better than anyone (bar Daics).
I don't think he plays every game.....but he'd be so handy in big games or against clubs that zone because he's just so good at finding space (and goals).

For me its a no brainer if he's available.

Well said

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
A big NO from me.
He would impede development of younger players.
We are not in flag window 2016.
He is a ####.

I think he would have the opposite affect. Instead of impeding their developement, he would fast track it.

Potential doesn't win you games... execution does, and we can't wait round forever waiting for someone to develope into something they simlly are not right now...

Pressure needs to be put on their positions... way too many passengers in our forward line in 2015. We need play makers

I think he would have the opposite affect. Instead of impeding their developement, he would fast track it.

Potential doesn't win you games... execution does, and we can't wait round forever waiting for someone to develope into something they simlly are not right now...

Pressure needs to be put on their positions... way too many passengers in our forward line in 2015. We need play makers
Can't teach X factor...

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
A big NO from me.
He would impede development of younger players.
We are not in flag window 2016.
He is a ####.
exactly the opposite he'd be great for development of our young forwards. I know they'd be all for it if they were on this thread. To have a chance to play with and learn from a total legend for a year or 2

4#Didak#4

Premiership Player
May 21, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
After some initial doubts I am actually all for getting Stevie J on board for a year or two. There is the obvious proviso of his body being in OK nick. But we know what happened last time he failed a medical at Collingwood :confused: so lets just take him at his word that he is OK.

I think he should be played as a forward with the added role of assistant forward coach. His role would be a developmental one, he has a tremendous footy brain and an ability to communicate it. He has been a primary cog in one of the all time offensive teams so he knows what works up forward and how to get a score on the board. This knowledge is valuable especially to a team whose forward line has failed to fire for a long time now.

From a playing perspective he brings a whole new dynamic to the forward line and pretty much would demand attention from every defense. He scores from limited opportunities and makes them count which is something we have been dreadful at. His ball use will bring others into the action and is something that people over look in his game - his ability to make other players dangerous, he is actually a very self less player (although thats not public perception). I don't think he has to play every week, he would be managed and certainly you would want him on hand if we had some September action.

I think we have a guy in Neil Balme who would be well placed to be able to tell us if its a good idea or not and I think if he gave the nod we should be jumping in.

Back