Remove this Banner Ad

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guys,

now Steve Smith is captain, what are we expecting from him?

When Clarke came in, there was a "punter was too defensive" school of thought (didn't agree with it)... but we really don't know anything about Smith as a captain, aside from his spells at shield level.

sure he pummeled India, but they essentially gave up. It must be noted that Smith was a fair bit more conservative with his declarations.

Does Smith use the spinners well? What other traits should we be looking for?

What other traits should we be looking for?

Leadership would be the number one trait I'd hope. He's on the right track, batting at three and looking to lead from the front.

He needs to be selfless and inclusive to begin with.

Unlike his predecessor, he's probably not going to have a wealth of experience around him as it certainly appears like the selectors will be going down a different path to that of the last 2-3 years (they have to really). The 'test' experience in the team will likely comprise Smith, Warner, Lyon and Johnson (for however much longer he plays) and then you're back to semi 'experienced' blokes like Starc. There may be a reasonable argument therein for Siddle to remain around the squad (at least) in there but that's another debate.

So, Smith will have a very inexperienced group under him and he'll need to be a really good 'people person' as a result. He and his employer would be well advised to manage expectations carefully and avoid grandiose declarations of dominance over the opposition. We could be in for a rocky ride and, if results don't fall our way, it will be a genuine test of his mettle.

I think he's the right man for the job. Surround him with the right people is the next step. They could do worse than ask Ponting if he's be prepared to come on board in some sort of role (even if only for mentoring purposes); a good people person who, even when things were going completely pear shaped on the field, managed to keep the team united and together.

I think he's the right man for the job. Surround him with the right people is the next step. They could do worse than ask Ponting if he's be prepared to come on board in some sort of role (even if only for mentoring purposes); a good people person who, even when things were going completely pear shaped on the field, managed to keep the team united and together.

is he the right man for the job... or the only man? He was genuinely, the only realistic candidate. That kind of scares me.

He's a very positive and proactive captain. Similar to Clarke he is always looking to make things happen in the field. Conservative declarations, I put down to inexperience captaining a five day matches. He has a very good cricket brain and has done very well with NSW in the Shield.

I do think he needs a bit of practice managing a bowling attack though. On occasions when his bowlers have struggled to get breakthroughs, he's put them on high rotation. You can see he's trying to force things, but it's often to the detriment of building pressure.

He'll be a very fine captain. Will just take a little time for him to grow into the role.

is he the right man for the job... or the only man?

I think he's both.

His predecessor was the 'only man' standing when Ponting bowed out and even then, there were a number of people in senior positions who doubted the wisdom of appointing Clarke.

At least with Smith, there is no one with grave reservations about his appointment. To the best of my knowledge, he goes in with the full support of everyone who matters.

I see Steve Smith being a skipper similar to the way Ponting captained. He will rely heavily on the quick bowlers and not use Lyon anywhere near as much as he could. I think he is the right man for the job but I can see him making frustrating decisions on the field. He will try to lead with the bat. There is a massive void in leadership at all levels in the cricket community IMO.

At least with Smith, there is no one with grave reservations about his appointment. To the best of my knowledge, he goes in with the full support of everyone who matters.

that is true. i haven't seen anyone in the press having a crack at him.

he has had to struggle to get into team and then really succeeded which can actually be really good for people. Clarke never learnt that kind of humility, even when he was dumped from the team.

I do suspect we are approaching the old Border + 100 terrority though. When Smith didn't make runs in the ashes we got absolutely thumped. I get the feeling this may happen a few more times.

Clarke was a very good skipper. I hope Smith has learnt some tricks from him. Smith will probably need to carry the team like Clarke did for so long.

On the small sample size we've seen so far he's more conservative than Clarke. In itself not a bad thing, but prone to attacks from the "have a ****in' go" crowd prevelant in Australian media.

Probably a good thing.

He's going to Captain some really s**t sides and we all know Australian cricket needs to stop worshiping the cult of aggression at all costs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a good thing.

He's going to Captain some really s**t sides and we all know Australian cricket needs to stop worshiping the cult of aggression at all costs

Fair call that. People used to praise Steve Waugh for being attacking, but if you have the other mob 4 for 30 and McGrath and Warne bowling for you it's not hard to put in an extra slip.

IMHO some of Clarke's declarations were outright foolhardy.
Huh? Have we even lost a match where Clarke's declared in the third innings?

Pretty sure the only time we lost after a declaration was when we were 9 down in the first innings in Hyderabad, after a big collapse. He made a tactical declaration in the hope we'd get a wicket late in the day. It didn't come off, but after being thrashed by an innings it's hard to argue that forgoing the tenth wicket partnership was the reason we lost.

Of all the criticisms one could make of Clarke, his declaring wasn't one of them. He had a real knack of offering up a tempting target whilst at the same time knowing what he could defend.

Last edited:
Until the team is tested under him we really won't know, when you are winning and everything is working smoothly it is easy, it is how you handle it when things aren't going well and the team you have is just not up to scratch that captains get found out.
True enough. We also don't know how much eh felt he was able to do his own job, and how much he was aware of being Clarke's care-taker. Now that he has the job full time we might start to see how/if he changes things over time.
With the coach and so many others having input these days, I'm not sure there will be a major change. Its probably more of a transition than a jolt these days as it is not one man running the show.

They say you set the tone for your captaincy in the early stages, well guess what Steve Smith you are a disgrace to everyone who went before you, continuing on with the Stokes appeal will haunt you in the same manner as Greg Chappell is haunted by the underarm delivery. You will deservedly no carry a reputation that you are a win at all cost captain who has scant regard for sportsmanship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back