Steve Smith as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

No mate the NSW mafia are only going to let Cummins do it if it's not Smith. Just like they keep picking Cummins and Hazlewood in the test team in front of guns like Riley Meredith and Gabe Bell.
India were in on the conspiracy getting rolled for 36 without losing a single wicket to a non-NSW player.

The whole shadow batting controversy showed why Smith can't be Captain again in my opinion regardless if he is the best candidate. Something small created a huge media circus which would be a huge distraction for the team and there would never be any clear air. It just wouldn't work.

We are getting in that territory now with Paine, his place in the team and ability to Captain is starting to become an issue and too bigger sideshow.

I am happy to see Cummins get the NSW job for the one day tournament. Labushagne is a long way off Captain material at the moment so we need options. Give Cummins a taste of it, I don't believe Bowlers should be discounted from Captaining in the right circumstances.

EVERYTHING IS OK
Pat Cummins captaining NSW 1 dayers
NO experience , he wants to capt Aust
Clarke , backs him to capt the 3 teams , test 1 dayer, T20

Smithy is the lesser of two evils.. one plus one and then a bowler, and a keeper and a 'batter''.. chips or fish with that..
gob smacking it is that everyone is still playing above their game..

Thread should have been locked long ago.
Smith lost he right to captain Australia ever again, the moment he ignored finding out what the conversation was in dressing room between Warner and Bancroft. He showed he is not deserving of that role of such responsibility.
Batsman only and can offer tactical advice but captain role, has no right to it at all.

Thread should have been locked long ago.
Smith lost he right to captain Australia ever again, the moment he ignored finding out what the conversation was in dressing room between Warner and Bancroft. He showed he is not deserving of that role of such responsibility.
Batsman only and can offer tactical advice but captain role, has no right to it at all.

The SA issue is a distraction. If the debate is about what happened over there, then it is just about whether or not you think Smith should be forgiven for his role.

The real issue should be whether or not he was a good captain before that, which he wasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SA issue is a distraction. If the debate is about what happened over there, then it is just about whether or not you think Smith should be forgiven for his role.
It is not a distraction. It happened. I've forgiven Smith. But I also think he forfeit any right to be captain from that mistake. It was not a minor mistake. It was massive. He just showed he was not captain material by those turn of events. You look for people that are captain material. He is not it and showed it by such a massive mistake. He is a cricket player only. Captain's are more than just players. Only a select few are capable of being captain. He clearly is not one of them.

It is not a distraction. It happened. I've forgiven Smith. But I also think he forfeit any right to be captain from that mistake. It was not a minor mistake. It was massive. He just showed he was not captain material by those turn of events. You look for people that are captain material. He is not it and showed it by such a massive mistake. He is a cricket player only. Captain's are more than just players. Only a select few are capable of being captain. He clearly is not one of them.
This.

Him being banned for a year was laughable, he should not have received any ban other than what the ICC handed out but he should have been sacked as skipper right away and told he wont be selected for that role again, terrible leader and tactically inept and more proof great players dont always make great leaders.

But then the issue is simply a debate about whether what happened in South Africa should or shouldn't disqualify him from being captain. Some people would say yes, others would say no.

My argument is that he was a shitty captain before that. Even if he wasn't in South Africa and had nothing to do with it, it wouldn't change that he wasn't good before hand.

That is the real reason, imo, that he shouldn't be considered. Constantly bring up South Africa is just a sideshow that distracts from the real issue.

I'd gladly support Australia with Cummins as captain

Steve Smith is tainted goods and the cricket team would be a laughing stock if he was allowed to be captain again.
ah do we like bowlers who have so much work to do to present as a leader... / ?.. can he operate equally as well 'throwing'/bowling the ball as
much as well as marshalling the troops? They either bowl the ball and then get stuck out in whoop whoop to save the four...

just saying...

ah do we like bowlers who have so much work to do to present as a leader... / ?.. can he operate equally as well 'throwing'/bowling the ball as
much as well as marshalling the troops? They either bowl the ball and then get stuck out in whoop whoop to save the four...

just saying...

Lets get The Big Show in instead!!

Some people have short memories , Smith was a very average captain who some think has become a tactical genius since he lost the captaincy.

Its all a reaction for a very poor home series by an average side where Paine made some poor errors.
If Smith was captain that result wouldnt change IMO.

He is a gun player but not a leader . South Africa showed that . His non endorsement of Cummins also shows he is a self absorbed and focused player .
He is making no secret that he wants the captaincy again and is causing a few waves doing so.
Again gun player , but not a leader and not the type person we need or want leading us.

Issue is the cupboard is fairly thin and I have a feeling ( a bad one ) CA will buckle and he will get what he wants .

Him being banned for a year was laughable, he should not have received any ban other than what the ICC handed out but he should have been sacked as skipper right away and told he wont be selected for that role again, terrible leader and tactically inept and more proof great players dont always make great leaders.

I would have given them all 6 months, but more as a face-saving exercise to shut the baying media and public up than because the punishment fit the crime, or because of any notion of justice.

I don't think Smith was a good captain but I do think he was unfairly thrown under the bus.

I'd happily bet money that the whole ball tampering thing was a team plan that Darren Lehmann was in on. Lehmann's whole playing dumb act juts doesn't add up with the way in which he went about speaking with Handscomb on the walkie talkie.

I'm certain Smith's punishment was specifically about his address to the media which was incredibly stupid and out of touch, putting the entire Australian Cricket Brand in jeopardy. Had he just gone out and said something similar to Faf in years gone by it would have been a non event after the series was over.

You'd have to be a complete moron to think Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc weren't in on it.

I don't think Smith was a good captain but I do think he was unfairly thrown under the bus.

I'd happily bet money that the whole ball tampering thing was a team plan that Darren Lehmann was in on. Lehmann's whole playing dumb act juts doesn't add up with the way in which he went about speaking with Handscomb on the walkie talkie.

I'm certain Smith's punishment was specifically about his address to the media which was incredibly stupid and out of touch, putting the entire Australian Cricket Brand in jeopardy. Had he just gone out and said something similar to Faf in years gone by it would have been a non event after the series was over.

You'd have to be a complete moron to think Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc weren't in on it.
Yep they all knew what was going on , like you say Smith hung himself at his initial presser .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back