Steve Smith as Captain

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
who are the possible candidates:

aaron finch - odi and 20/20 captain - papers stamped never to play test cricket again - aged 35 (next month)
matthew wade - recently captained white ball stuff in bangladesh - surely has played his last test match - aged 34 come xmas
alex carey - hasn't even played test cricket yet - a risk to give him the captaincy especially if his form doesn't warrant selection - age 30
usman khawaja - age 35 come xmas and appears that his test career is over.
pat cummins - absolute jet - little captaincy experience - age 28 me personally not a fan of a quick having the captaincy
glenn maxwell - age 33 and has only played test cricket on the sub continent
travis head - age 28 come xmas - can he hold down a regular spot ? our captains are normally the best player or one of the best players in the side - i think he does job and just plays a role
mitchell marsh - JUST NO !
marnus labuschagne - 27 years old - holds down a regular spot - no captaincy experience though

steve smith - age 32 - best player in the side - done the job before - could he hold the job down for a couple of years until potential leaders emerge ?

aaron finch - odi and 20/20 captain - papers stamped never to play test cricket again - aged 35 (next month)
matthew wade - recently captained white ball stuff in bangladesh - surely has played his last test match - aged 34 come xmas
alex carey - hasn't even played test cricket yet - a risk to give him the captaincy especially if his form doesn't warrant selection - age 30
pat cummins - absolute jet - little captaincy experience - age 28 me personally not a fan of a quick having the captaincy
travis head - age 28 come xmas - can he hold down a regular spot ? our captains are normally the best player or one of the best players in the side - i think he does job and just plays a role
marnus labuschagne - 27 years old - holds down a regular spot - no captaincy experience though

steve smith - age 32 - best player in the side - done the job before - could he hold the job down for a couple of years until potential leaders emerge ?
Steve Smith - has done the job poorly before.
Pat Cummins - has proven to be a strong leader.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c

i remind youse all
steve smith and Warner CHEATED
Tim Paine did not ask to be CAPT
great bat Smith , poor capt
i blame NSW media, and CA
george Bailey should have been test capt , with smith his v/c

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
i remind youse all
steve smith and Warner CHEATED
Tim Paine did not ask to be CAPT
great bat Smith , poor capt
i blame NSW media, and CA
george Bailey should have been test capt , with smith his v/c

no doubt bailey would've been a reasonable captain and a more than adequate number 5 or 6.

i want to know who you have pencilled as our next skipper though.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
no doubt bailey would've been a reasonable captain and a more than adequate number 5 or 6.

i want to know who you have pencilled as our next skipper though.
NSW MEDIA and old players have Cummins . i make him V/C
Marnus , should be trained into it , and be V/c as well
have 2 yrs to make him

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
NSW MEDIA and old players have Cummins . i make him V/C
Marnus , should be trained into it , and be V/c as well
have 2 yrs to make him
NSW knows best mate. We'll keep putting you Tasmanians in faux positions of power like captain and chairman of selectors while we control things from the shadows.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Marnus doesn’t have the right personality to be Captain.

Smith should never be allowed to be Captain again and as others pointed out he wasn’t that good at it anyway.

Paine is captain by default

Carey should already be playing Test Cricket - he could now get jumped over by Inglis but I’m stuffed if I know how.

There is no heir apparent - not anywhere - Carey could almost do a Lee German but it would never happen in Australian Cricket

Personally I don’t think Cummins is the answer but who is

If Head could hold down a place he would be the best bet

to be fair on head, he has played 19 of the 22 tests since his debut.

hasn't played the last 2 tests, and most people have him pencilled in for the first test of the summer.
Because pretty much, Head is a much better long-term option in the middle-order for Australia (Test) then Wade is/will be.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
to be fair on head, he has played 19 of the 22 tests since his debut.

hasn't played the last 2 tests, and most people have him pencilled in for the first test of the summer.
Yeah, but that's mostly because of Covid. He would have been on the outer for most (maybe all) of the tests played since had it been a normal schedule.

But as per the other thread, on the back of his domestic form the last middle order spot is his to lose now. Where he goes from there is the golden question.

Finally some common sense in the selection team
Hold your horses. Credit for common sense should only be awarded when the actions don't contradict the words.

That article doesn't include the quote about how "everyone starts with a clean slate". Far as I'm concerned, no such thing as a clean slate when you're talking about the leadership qualities of pampered sport stars.

They either developed the necessary traits (unselfishness and empathy, most importantly) by age 12/13/14, otherwise the genie is out of the bottle. And it's always been obvious which category each player belongs in, yet it's almost never a consideration.

I think Richie must be the last permanent Australian captain to have gotten the job based partially on a meaningful evaluation of character, and at best we've just had a few happy coincidences since. Only going to break that streak if Cummins is chosen next.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jimmy Peirson, killing it with the bat the last few years, solid gloveman, Sheffield Shield winning captain, Brisbane Heat captain, top quality human. Easy decision. Absolutely no Qld bias in my thought process...

Jimmy Peirson, killing it with the bat the last few years, solid gloveman, Sheffield Shield winning captain, Brisbane Heat captain, top quality human. Easy decision. Absolutely no Qld bias in my thought process...
Poor keeper.

You never miss a chance to say this even though its completely wrong. I guess you know better than Darren Berry and Ian Healy though.
Is it? I consistently see him miss stumpings and catches to Swepson. He cost Queensland a game against Victoria at the junction through being a poor keeper.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is it? I consistently see him miss stumpings and catches to Swepson. He cost Queensland a game against Victoria at the junction through being a poor keeper.
Yes, yes it is. Every keeper makes mistakes at times, he is a long long way off a poor keeper

Yes, yes it is. Every keeper makes mistakes at times, he is a long long way off a poor keeper
That's fair. However, I believe it would be fair to say that of the regular keepers (excluding Paine) at FC level in Australia, he'd be the weakest of them apart from Doran.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
The problem Head will have is by the time he has established himself in the test team, Paine is likely to have retired.

From the bits I've seen and read (from people who's opinion I respect) of Head, his captaincy for South Australia does seem quite astute and appears to me as being the best captain we have running around the domestic scene.

Back